Shooters Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just snagged a deal on a Sieg X2D mini mill, gonna use it for receivers and I'm also doing an F1 can, got my stamp the other day. Surprised at how quick the ATF works lol. It took about 2 weeks.
2 weeks?!?! Surely that's a typo. Did you mean to say years? Even months would be great. If it's only two weeks, I may need to get a couple more tax stamps!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I just snagged a deal on a Sieg X2D mini mill, gonna use it for receivers and I'm also doing an F1 can, got my stamp the other day. Surprised at how quick the ATF works lol. It took about 2 weeks.
Was this a typographical error? I've heard guys say it was 3 months back in the 70's but never 2 weeks.
A tax stamp for a suppressor?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Was this a typographical error? I've heard guys say it was 3 months back in the 70's but never 2 weeks.
Form 1’s are much quicker than form 4’s most of the time. Sometimes form 4’s can be 6 months out while form 1’s are 4-6 weeks.

Form 4 is for purchase. Form 1 is for individual manufacture.

It’s very common for folks to use a form 1 on a rifle if they want to turn it into a short barrel rifle. That’s how most people do it actually. You take your normal AR15, have some basic info engraved on the lower for around $50 or so. Then fill out the form 1 with the $200 fee. Then when it comes back, you can cut your barrel down or swap it to the length you wanted.

10.5” barrel AR15’s are really fun to shoot with a suppressor.

Lots of folks will buy an AR15 pistol and then register it as a short barrel rifle as well. Same rules apply. You have to engrave your info on the lower, file the form 1, then when approved you just throw a stock on the pistol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Form 1’s are much quicker than form 4’s most of the time. Sometimes form 4’s can be 6 months out while form 1’s are 4-6 weeks.

Form 4 is for purchase. Form 1 is for individual manufacture.

It’s very common for folks to use a form 1 on a rifle if they want to turn it into a short barrel rifle. That’s how most people do it actually. You take your normal AR15, have some basic info engraved on the lower for around $50 or so. Then fill out the form 1 with the $200 fee. Then when it comes back, you can cut your barrel down or swap it to the length you wanted.

10.5” barrel AR15’s are really fun to shoot with a suppressor.

Lots of folks will buy an AR15 pistol and then register it as a short barrel rifle as well. Same rules apply. You have to engrave your info on the lower, file the form 1, then when approved you just throw a stock on the pistol.
I've got 2 suppressors built on Form 1, the first one took 6 months to get back, the second one took 9 months. Those were a about 5 years ago though. Last I heard it was up to 13 months, but that was about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Looking to try an 80% ar 15 lower, any recommendations. I only have a drill press and hand tools.
thanks
My son showed up with a polymer lower and a jig. I have a drill press. We used the bits that came with the kit and we followed the instructions carefully. No compound slide.
Polymer, as you would expect, mills easily. We had a finished lower in short order.
I had a trigger sitting on the shelf and a 7.62X39 upper. Bought a parts package with an A2 stock. I installed everything with no troubles.
The assembled gun worked just fine. I have had it for a year or so and gun performs very nicely.
Pete

41 - 45 of 45 Posts