Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 700 .300wm shoots about 1/2 MOA with 180gr Speer soft points with cheap federal brass. That was also before getting a concentricity gage, and the runout on that ammo was pretty bad. I haven't shot any since I've been able to get all the ammo under .002" of deviation, so I imagine it will only better to some degree.

I also just got a batch of Norma brass and will be sorting it by weight. I also got a Lee collet neck sizer, and even thought it doesn't eliminate runout, I was impressed when I measured the runout from ammo that was sized with it compared to my RCBS neck sizer. Lee die has much less runout and more consistency. Lee also claims it's easier on the brass, but I don't really have a way to confirm that.

So, considering the accuracy before adding better brass and virtually no runout into the equation, I'm really excited to see what this can do at longer ranges.

I've read good things about the Sierra matchking bullets, and the gameking bullets shot well out my 700, so I'll think I'll give them a try.

From experience, who can weigh in on what weight typically works best with a 1:10 twist and a 26" barrel? Cross referencing several reloading guides, below are typical velocities for each weight:

190gr: 2850-2950fps
200gr: 2800-2850fps
220gr: 2650-2750fps

Obviously since the goal is accuracy I'm not going to try and squeeze out as much velocity as possible, whatever groups the best wins.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I think you'll find that the difference between the three will be how your barrel likes one of them.

My 7mm Mag prefers Gameking 160's to Matchking 150's, for instance, and it shoots better with 162gr Hornady BTSP Interloks. It likes the heavier bullets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
try useing a 210gn bullet.the Bergers fly great from my rifel.and its a 1:10 26" barrel.H1000 at 76.0gn's does the job for me.and I am getting 2800 FPS out of my rifel.been looking at the 190 grianers my self be have not come to getting any yet.been keaning on the 190gn Berger VLD or the 190gn SMK.just might get some for spring to try.

and yeah the Lee collet works great.been able to load my brass(rem)5 times before I need to bump the shoulder back alittle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts