Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems my 870 has devolped a problem that I need to trouble shoot. Gun is used 870 Wingmaster Police that is parkerized and has a factory extended 3 shot tube on its 18" cyl bore barrel (tube is longer then bbl). Gorgeous oiled finished walnut stock and forearm. This is how my father purchased the gun from a dealer, who got it from the San Antonio PD back in 89'. He gave it to me that Christmas just a few months before cancer took him away.

Since that time I've purchased a 20" cyl bore rifled sight barrel also. Last year purchased another 21" Mossy Oak Rem Choke Turkey bbl. Now all three barrels will not lock up correctly when screwing the magazine cap all the way down. If screwed tight, hammer will not drop. I have to back off a bit to get it to lock up and drop the hammer. This causes the barrel to be a bit loose with the reciever. This has been going on for a few years now but I don't use the gun that often as most of this decade I've been deployed (8 out of 11 yrs). Checked gun in Dec with the new Mossy camoed bbl and changed out to a standard mag cap, same trouble. I'm down range without the gun again but would ask for suggestions as the cause.

ETA. When I screw the mag cap down, push the forearm forward, it doesn't feel as the bolt is locking all the way up, then there is nothing when the trigger is pulled. If backing off the mag cap, pushing the forearm forward, hence closing the bolt, there is the metal lockup of the bolt to the barrel, pull trigger and it goes bang. I've done this with the 3 barrels mentioned, standard mag cap, Rem +3 extension and a Choate +2 extension (been using the Choate as it has the barrel clamp to hold the loosened extension). Been out shooting a few times and gun fails to fire during a string. I would like to get this gun back into proper firing condition and rebuild my confidence in it.

Thanks,
CD

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sounds like the fore end tube nut inside the fore end is hitting the magazine cap and keeping the action from locking. I have seen aftermarket stocks installed with this result, but yours just may be loose. On some older guns the varnish sticks the fore end to the tube whether the round slotted nut is actually tight or not so one might not notice.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check it once I get home.

CD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts