Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working with mitchells m48 and 24/47 mausers i'm using 200 gr. sierra bthp behind 45.2 gr. of imr 4350. I'm getting around 2.5" at 2080 fps. I was wondering if anybody has a better load. Also i just installed a timney trigger with just a little wood removal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
8mm Load

Jhonny
I belive before you can get the help you seek you must give more information. Please state why your seeking a better load. What is your current load used for? What are the orther componets that make your current load? IE which brand of primer & brass are you useing? What is the source of your data? what is the OAL of your current load? :)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Seems pretty mild. What loading manuals do you have? Some load up the 8mm to modern pressures, some don't.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It depends

I load and shoot a number of 8mm Mausers and they tend to have preferences for loads and bullets. My best loads have been using 150 grain spitzers or 170 grain round nose bullets, Winchester or CCI primers and IMR4895 powder. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the 1930's the German military standardized the 7.92x57 loading as a 198 grain FMJSBT. The bullet was a lead core with a mild steel jacket with a nickel coating. Powder was square flake, non corrosive. Mausers published data showed velocities from 29 and 23.5 inch barrels. 2575 fps from the 29 in. and 2475 fps from the 23.5. American load manuals are anemic for liability reasons, the existance of the older .318 bore 8x57J rifles. I have had very good accuracy with 46 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 200 grain Sierra MK or Speer Hot-Core(for hunting),from my 98k's. MOA for the Speer's and sub-MOA with the MK's. The velocities were only averaging 2350. That is the MAX load listed in the Speer #12 manual. I recently tried Vihtavouri N150. There load data is in the European standards for the 8mm. A MAX listed charge of 49.5 grains yielded an average velocity of 2487 fps but accuracy was less than the IMR 4064. It was still acceptable at about 1.2 to 1.5 inches at 100 for hunting. But achieving another 100 fps wasn't worth the extra cost of the VV powders. I have a feeling that case life might suffer as well. Oh before I forget, I used Remington brass and Winchester LR primers. Sorry for the long winded response, just trying to help. I need to sit down.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Wyoman - Don't worry about the length of your post. Man, we get some that ramble on forever! Your comments are pertinent and well presented.

·
Registered
55 Posts
8MM Load

Wyoman
I agree with you that 200 gr load that you been useing sounds like a really good one. If i was loading a 200 Gr i sure would try that load. Johnny might think about giving that load a try. It just may end some of his wows. The Speer # 12 Manual have giving me tight groups in many different cal's.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Interesting, wyoman's loadf of 46gr of 4064 is the same load I use for my 8mm mauser 200gr Nosler Partitions. It is listed in their #6 reloading guide. It is their max and most accurate load using IMR4064. I have used this load with good results from my 24/47 and M48 yugo mausers on hog hunts. Nosler lists their velocity from a 24" barrel at over 2600 fps.

wyoman, you are braver than I. I looked at the N150 load. In the Nosler guide it is listed at a 113% compressed load. I could not bring myself to test such a load in these older mausers. It is good to know that it is not such a better load.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Speer #12 manual shows 46 grains of IMR 4064 pushing a 200 grain bullet at 2434 fps. The test rifle was shown as a VZ-24 which has the same 23.5 inch 1/9.78 twist as my 98K's. My rifles have very good original bores. Again we come to, no two rifles are the same. As far as the N150 load of 49.5 grains being 115%, all I can say is, not even close. It's more like 80% in my cases. I seated the bullets to the exact length in the VV manual. I haven't tried to run a seating sequence yet. Three rounds each seating .010 deaper each set checking accuracy and CAREFULLY watching for signs of INCREASED PRESSURE.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I found a Nosler 5th edition guide and in that manual the same loads for the N150 (same powder weight and fps) are not listed as compressed loads. The highest load density was 96%. Do not know why they changed to 6th edition to show compressed loads :confused:. Maybe a typo error? Don't think the partitions got any longer. I hate finding things like this in reloading books. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My current load is Privi 198 gr FMJBT over 46.5 gr H4895 Rem case ,WLR primer run at 2535 fps out of my G98/40! So you should be able to get close to this with those 200 gr a little more speed might improve your accuracy some but 2.5 " at 100 is not bad for a M48 or 24/47. Try some Nosler 180 gr BT's I get 1"or less at 100 with mine open sites!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have 3 fully sporterized mauser, in 8x57 caliber, 2 germans and one swedish and I feed them all with the fallowing recipie :
Brass: Metalverken
Primers: WLR standard
Powder: IMR 4895 46.0
Bullet: Hornady 170gr. PP
Cartridge O.A.L. 2.895
Since this load print in all 3 around 1" group at 100 yrd. I am happy and did not try any further testing for now.
Just acquired a 4th mauser also fully sporterized around 1960 by Globe Firearms a canadian importer that farm out the work to Austrians gunsmiths at that time, so far I did not had the opportunity to try it .
________
roberto

·
Registered
135 Posts
Since the german gun powder for the 8mm mauser which made it out perform even the 30-06 isn't manufactured anymore I was told the vihtavuori powder was the one to go with. I would like to start reloading for my 8mm mauser soon. I was wondering who makes bullets for it besides the 185gr remington. I would like to use a soft point bullet or even a lead cast bullet near the orginal german 196gr FMJ round. I have restored a wornout german 98k as close to its orginal form using the orginal stock but i did add a czech 8mm barrel to the 98k receiver. The orginal 98 barrel was the worst sewer pipe i have ever seen. I also have a military style 3 post scope on it. I really didn't want a sniper nor a sporter looking 98k I just want a shooter thats accurate. I put about 8 coats of tung oil on the stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am using 175 sierra's with a heathy charge of blc2 in my hacked off turk. shoots a little better tha 1 inch at 100. Yes the barrel was cut to 18.5 inches with a hack saw and recrowned. was going to rabarrel it till I shot it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
8MM Loads

BigBill
Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Winchester & Remington all make bullets for the 8MM. vihtavuori powders are very high priced from what ive seen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts