Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys tried Reloader 25 for the 8mm Mag?  From their website it states one can get increased velocities in relation to other powders I'm particularly interested in the 220 Hornady interlock.  Any comments would be appreciated.Thanks-Karl

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've hunted with an 8mm Magnum for years.  Excellent cartridge in my opinion.  I generally use a 200 grain Speer with IMR 4831 and have never recovered a bullet from the elk, black bears or wild hogs shot with this load.  Excellent penetration!!  My chronograph shows that I'm getting 3,000 fps.

I've never tried the 220 Hornady but I did load some 150 Hornady bullets to about 3,400 and my brother shot a hog with this load.  We never did find that bullet, all we know is that it didn't exit.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I wanted toot the 8mm Mag's horn a little.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chrisf-I've also had my 8 mag for years and have used it with good results also using IMR 4831 and Sierra 220 gr.  Want to switch to Hornady as have great results in other calibers with their bullets.  My question about the Reloader powder is that a guy could reload using it and have the same velocities or more than IMR and not be so close to maximum load.  Karl

PS IN my area we are having trouble with grizzlies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand your need for a heavy bullet.  

I'll check out the reloader powder and may work up a load with it sometime.  It sure would be nice to get the same velocity without having to shoot a maximum load.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chrisf-I plan on doing the same with both RL 25 and 22.  Let's compare notes in the future.  Karl

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Anybody shoot the 8mm 200 grain Nosler Partition?  Thinking of picking up a surplus 98 Mauser and figured this to be a 'do everything' bullet in that bore size (of course with less velocity that the big Rem case).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts