Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a Mauser 98k action that I removed the barrel (it was bad) and was thinking of re-barreling to somewthing else. My idea is to build a lightweight, carbine-type rifle for general carry duty. I was thinking of going with a 22" barrel 06 or 308. I was looking at loading data for the 8x57 and was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

My idea: Why can't I find a new or good used 8x57 military barrel, have the steps turned out, cut to 20", re-crown and re-stock? Where can I locate a new 8x57 military barrel and are there hidden problems I should be aware of. At this point, I have $60.00 in the rifle and have the bolt bent, a straight grain walnut stock, drilled and tapped. I need a trigger and barrel to complete the project. My goal is to come up with a lightweight carry/beater rifle for whitetails and blackbears.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Whitetail-

You should have little or no problem finding an 8X57 Mauser barrel. I would start by checking with local Gunsmiths or just check with Numerich's Gun Parts Corp., they should be able to supply one of these barrels dirt cheap. Seems that there are a lot of them floating around that are "take offs" from re-barreled M-98's that have been turned into custom sporters.

Good Luck, ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts