Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post was originally placed under the Handloading Proceedures And Practices Forum by Clark.

There is some good info here that well might get overlooked or buried in that thread, so I took the liberty of copying it here for easy reference at a later time!

Many thanks Clark!

8x57mm. 200 gr Yugo bullets, CCI 200, IMR4895, Collet neck, no crimp, RP brass, and 3.160"
I looked at different load books for IMR4895 powder loads for the 8x57mm JS Mauser cartridge.

1) "Sierra" [newer than 1971]: 150 gr 50.5 gr 2800 fps 175 gr 48.1 gr 2600 fps

2) "Sierra 50 th Anniversary" 1995: 150 gr 50.5 gr 2800 fps 175 gr 48.1 gr 2600 fps

3) "Hornady Handbook" 1973: 150 gr 52.5 gr 2900 fps 170 gr 50.1 gr 2700 fps

4) "Hornady 5 th" 2000[ H4895]: 150 gr 50.5 gr 2800 fps 170 gr 47.9 gr 2600 fps

5) "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders volume 2" 1966 PO Ackley: 150 gr 54 gr 2900 fps 170 gr 51 gr 2700 fps

6) "Speer 7" 1966: 150 gr 54 gr 2864 fps 170 gr 51 gr 2704 fps 225 gr 49 gr 2452 fps

7) "Speer 8" 1970: 150 gr 54 gr 2864 fps 170 gr 51 gr 2704 fps

8) "Speer 9" 1974: 150 gr 48 gr 2849 fps 170 gr 46 gr 2640 fps

9) "Speer 11" 1987: 150 gr 48 gr 2675 fps 170 gr 46 gr 2640 fps

10) "Speer 12" 1994: 150 gr 48gr 2675 fps 170 gr 46 gr 2640 fps

11) "Speer 13" 1998: 150 gr 48 gr 2675 fps 170 gr 46 gr 2640 fps

12) "Lyman 40th" 1955: 154 gr 48 gr 2776 fps 170 gr 46 gr 2600 fps 227 gr 45 gr 2350 fps

13) "Lyman 41 st" 1957: 154 gr 48 gr 2776 fps 170 gr 46 gr 2600 fps 227 gr 45 gr 2350 fps

14) "Lyman 43 rd" 1964: 150 gr 54 gr 2920 fps 170 gr 51 gr 2695 fps 225 gr 49 gr 2410 fps

15) "Lyman 45th" 1970: 150 gr 51 gr* 2824 fps compressed 170 gr 49 gr* 2672 fps compressed 225 gr 46 gr* 2341 fps compressed

16) "Lyman 47th" 1992: 150 gr 51+ gr 2824 fps compressed 170 gr 49+gr 2672 fps compressed

17) "Handloading" William Davis and the NRA 1981 150 gr 36 gr 2310 37k
cup 170 gr 46 gr 2640 <50k cup

18) IMR catalog 1990 [current]: 150 gr 36 gr 2310 37k cup 170 gr 33.5 gr 2145 37k cup

19) "Modern Reloading" Richard Lee 1996: 150 gr 36 gr 2310 37k cup 170 gr 33.5 gr 2145 37k cup

20) "Hodgdon No. 27" 1998: 150 gr 36 gr 2310 37k cup 170 gr 33.5 gr 2145 37k cup

21) "My Turkish Mauser notebook" 2001: 200 gr 44 gr no sign of pressure, OAL=3.16", neck sized RP brass 200 gr 46 gr top hat primer [CCI 200] 200 gr 47 gr
1.5" at 100 yards 3 shot group [best] 200 gr 49 gr sticky bolt 200 gr 50gr bulge in case gets closer to web. I should not repeat this load. 200 gr 51 gr very sticky
bolt, primer pocket hole diameter increase is measurable. I should not repeat this load. "Most of this data is related to maximum loads and none are starting points.
These are not suggestions for others, only notes relating to my own handload results for this cartridge." It is your gun and your body. You have to take your own
risks. Clark

OAL: 44 gr 2.2"
45 gr 2.25" 46 gr 2.25" and top hat primer 47 gr 1.5" 48 gr 3.3" 49 gr >
4" and sticky bolt 50 gr >4" and case base bulge 51 gr 3" 52 gr 2.25"
Very sticky bolt

I reloaded: 46.25 gr >1.9" 46.50 gr 4" 46.75 gr 3.4" 47.00 gr 3" 47.25
gr 5" 47.50 gr 2.2" 47.75 gr 2.6" 48.00 gr 4.3"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
111 Posts
Sounds good. I'll have to go back to IMR4895 I think. I have been experimenting with the new H414 and H380 ball powders but...

Perhaps with an old (108 years) caliber, older powders give the best results.

Is your rifle a '98 action, a '95 action or a '93 action? It seems the Turks sure liked a lot of different rifles in their Army...
 

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
Joined
·
36,229 Posts
This is a pretty old thread and Marshall was copying someone else's data.

I have to tell you, Clark got asked to leave the forum due to publishing a bunch of information on staggeringly high-pressure loads.

A P P R O A C H ** W I T H ** C A U T I O N ! ! ! !

You are correct that the Turks had a bunch of different rifles - don't forget some of the 1888s that are still floating around, as well. And Czech 98/22s, reworked GEWs, and no telling what all else.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
cannonballmount said:
Sounds good. I'll have to go back to IMR4895 I think. I have been experimenting with the new H414 and H380 ball powders but...

Perhaps with an old (108 years) caliber, older powders give the best results.

Is your rifle a '98 action, a '95 action or a '93 action? It seems the Turks sure liked a lot of different rifles in their Army...
cannonballmount.

Think you'll like the IMR-4895!

I've experimented with IMR-4350, IMR4320, Varget, H4831, H450 and H414. I found IMR-4895 to give the best combination of velocity and accuracy with the 200 gr. bullets that interest me (Speer HC, Nosler Partion and Sierra MatchKing)

My favorite hunting load is 200 gr Speer HC in Remington cases filled with IMR-4895 using CCI 200 LR primers. You'll need to work-up the the right amount of powder as I don't give out this info on my max loads - Don't want someone to get hurt and think individual rifles will differ.

This reload chronos an average of 2,515 fps from a 23.5" barrel. I also learned that the best (lowest) velocity variation was obtained at a lower COL than you would expect with a light crimp! My reload COL = 3.05". The std. dev. of that 2,515 is 5.6 with a CV of 0.22%.

Hope this helps
PS: Be careful working up to a max.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,341 Posts
RaySendero said:
cannonballmount.

Think you'll like the IMR-4895!

I've experimented with IMR-4350, IMR4320, Varget, H4831, H450 and H414. I found IMR-4895 to give the best combination of velocity and accuracy with the 200 gr. bullets that interest me (Speer HC, Nosler Partion and Sierra MatchKing)

My favorite hunting load is 200 gr Speer HC in Remington cases filled with IMR-4895 using CCI 200 LR primers. You'll need to work-up the the right amount of powder as I don't give out this info on my max loads - Don't want someone to get hurt and think individual rifles will differ.

This reload chronos an average of 2,515 fps from a 23.5" barrel. I also learned that the best (lowest) velocity variation was obtained at a lower COL than you would expect with a light crimp! My reload COL = 3.05". The std. dev. of that 2,515 is 5.6 with a CV of 0.22%.

Hope this helps
PS: Be careful working up to a max.
Ray, can you give a starting load? I have used 175gr sp, any brass,CCI 200 primer, w/ a starting load of 43.5 grains IMR4320. You should not use this load in a poor condition model '95-'96 Mauser. If your bolt gets sticky, you have gone to far! JP
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
jpattersonnh said:
Ray, can you give a starting load? I have used 175gr sp, any brass,CCI 200 primer, w/ a starting load of 43.5 grains IMR4320. You should not use this load in a poor condition model '95-'96 Mauser. If your bolt gets sticky, you have gone to far! JP
No, I've never reloaded any 175 gr bullets.
Try: http://stevespages.com/323.html

PS: Another caution reloading for the 8x57 - I've run across a big (1.0 to 1.5 grain) difference between case capacities from the various manufacturers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,341 Posts
RaySendero said:
No, I've never reloaded any 175 gr bullets.
Try: http://stevespages.com/323.html

PS: Another caution reloading for the 8x57 - I've run across a big (1.0 to 1.5 grain) difference between case capacities from the various manufacturers.
I have some Speer bullets I was planing on reloading, I "have" and "do" load 175 grain w/ 4320 w/ great success. JP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I'm using CFE223 with 150 Speer HCSP bullets with some success. My test load was 55.5 gr of CFE223 and a CCI250 primer, for 2865 fps. Moderate pressure with decent groups, in a Husky. This is close to the original military load from 1905, a 154 at 2780.

I read on several sites that the powder they used was "special" and not available anymore. My guess is that it was like HIVEL #2, not compatible with modern priming compounds.

I think that CFE223 is a keeper, should work in the 308 as well.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top