Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Well, if you check out Doubletap's loads for the 9.3x62 they include one that's a 250gr TTSX @ 2650 FPS out of a Ruger M77 with 24" barrel. Now that's a pretty stout load.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if you check out Doubletap's loads for the 9.3x62 they include one that's a 250gr TTSX @ 2650 FPS out of a Ruger M77 with 24" barrel. Now that's a pretty stout load.
Wow, I didn't even know that Doubletap made 9.3x62. Doesn't really matter I guess, I hardly ever buy factory ammo. I love rolling my own:D.
Thanks Tnhunter!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Lots of max loads with the 286gr that are at or above 2600 fps. RL-17 and IMR 4895 will do this with the PRVI bullets. I use PRVI bullets and cases.

Europeans also run higher pressures than American standards. loaded Norma ammo in a European cartridge like the 8mm and 9.3, are hot loadings and real performers.

ON the 2600 and the 9.3x62, these heavy loads should only be used in modern firearms like the Rugers and CZ.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of max loads with the 286gr that are at or above 2600 fps. RL-17 and IMR 4895 will do this with the PRVI bullets. I use PRVI bullets and cases.

Europeans also run higher pressures than American standards. loaded Norma ammo in a European cartridge like the 8mm and 9.3, are hot loadings and real performers.

ON the 2600 and the 9.3x62, these heavy loads should only be used in modern firearms like the Rugers and CZ.

Mine is a Ruger No.1, I hope I don't break it:D.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My understanding is that "Real Guns" does chronograph these loads out of the gun tested and also checks pressures for safety. It must be noted that these loads are gun specific. As I do own a 9.3x62 Ruger African, I was joyed to find this data some time ago. Ruger has a very strong action and I wouldn't try these loads in older guns. I have safely surpassed some of the data given in "Real Guns". However I am sure that the loads published in "Real Guns", are surely enough to dispatch your intended quarry. Modern guns,powder, and bullets have brought some of these older cartridges back to favor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding is that "Real Guns" does chronograph these loads out of the gun tested and also checks pressures for safety. It must be noted that these loads are gun specific. As I do own a 9.3x62 Ruger African, I was joyed to find this data some time ago. Ruger has a very strong action and I wouldn't try these loads in older guns. I have safely surpassed some of the data given in "Real Guns". However I am sure that the loads published in "Real Guns", are surely enough to dispatch your intended quarry. Modern guns,powder, and bullets have brought some of these older cartridges back to favor.
Yeah, that's the problem when you have a cartridge available in both old and new guns. I guess it's not really a problem if you know what you're doing. Someone with an older rifle should stick with factory ammo or moderate handloads. I did check my No.1's throat and there is plenty of room to seat the bullets out. But still I wouldn't just start at maximum loadings. I have PRVI 285gr., Hornady 286gr. and Norma 286gr. bullets to work with. I have some Reloader 15 and a small amount of Varget powder. Now if we could only get out of these arctic temps. in the east, I can get out to try them!
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
With the 286 grain bullets there is little need to hot rod any of the 9.3 or the 375 H&H. At 2400 fps, I get .6"groups 5 shots at 100 yards...more that enough gun for me on anything, except elephant and lion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the 286 grain bullets there is little need to hot rod any of the 9.3 or the 375 H&H. At 2400 fps, I get .6"groups 5 shots at 100 yards...more that enough gun for me on anything, except elephant and lion.
You don't consider the 9.3 enough for lion? Even grizzlies are taken with 338 and 35's and they're way bigger than any lion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
2501 fps MV for the 286gr NP?? From a 23" barrel?? :eek:

The Nosler data lists 2414 fps as the maximum MV for the 286gr NP from a 26" barrel (and also with a 1-in-10" twist rate).
9.3 x 62 Mauser Load Data

I have a 350 Remington Magnum built on a long action which enables me to seat heavy bullets (and not take up case capacity) to a maximum cartridge OAL of 3.25". It should be the ballistic twin of the 9.3x62.

With a 24" barrel (and 1-in-12" twist) I get a muzzle velocity of 2350 fps at near maximum pressure with the Woodleigh 310gr bullet using W748. :cool:

350 Remington Magnum / 310gr Woodleigh RN SN bullet

Remington 798 350 Remington Magnum with Leupold Ultralight 3-9x33mm scope

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
You don't consider the 9.3 enough for lion? Even grizzlies are taken with 338 and 35's and they're way bigger than any lion.
I know the lumbering old Grizz can cut it when he changes up a gear, but I once read where a lioness will probably only touch the ground twice in 25yrds before she is on you licking the shaving lotion from your face. No doubt someone more informed will correct me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the lumbering old Grizz can cut it when he changes up a gear, but I once read where a lioness will probably only touch the ground twice in 25yrds before she is on you licking the shaving lotion from your face. No doubt someone more informed will correct me.
Yeah, and the lion is a smaller target. This is where real hunting skill comes into play. Whether you have a 9.3 or a 416 Rigby, if you can't hit your mark you're going to be a tasty meal:eek:. Skill and a cool head. I wish I had both, but then that's what PH's are for. I would never hunt something that can hunt me (and eat me) back without an expert or two backing me up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2501 fps MV for the 286gr NP?? From a 23" barrel?? :eek:

The Nosler data lists 2414 fps as the maximum MV for the 286gr NP from a 26" barrel (and also with a 1-in-10" twist rate).
9.3 x 62 Mauser Load Data

I have a 350 Remington Magnum built on a long action which enables me to seat heavy bullets (and not take up case capacity) to a maximum cartridge OAL of 3.25". It should be the ballistic twin of the 9.3x62.

With a 24" barrel (and 1-in-12" twist) I get a muzzle velocity of 2350 fps at near maximum pressure with the Woodleigh 310gr bullet using W748. :cool:

350 Remington Magnum / 310gr Woodleigh RN SN bullet

Remington 798 350 Remington Magnum with Leupold Ultralight 3-9x33mm scope
You have some nice and interesting rifles, 4Fifty8. I always enjoy your posts.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
right on SUS.

Lion are stealthy stalkers. and you are a item on their menu.

The 7x57 aka 275 Rigby has cleanly killed every specie on earth. But I still carry my 9.3 and 416 for medium big stuff, grizzly, moose, cape buffalo.

But for lion and elephant 500 grains is in my mind. to each his own. You will only get one shot on a lion either in-coming or out going.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right on SUS.

Lion are stealthy stalkers. and you are a item on their menu.

The 7x57 aka 275 Rigby has cleanly killed every specie on earth. But I still carry my 9.3 and 416 for medium big stuff, grizzly, moose, cape buffalo.

But for lion and elephant 500 grains is in my mind. to each his own. You will only get one shot on a lion either in-coming or out going.
Have you ever hunted lion, HarryS? You sound like you have experience in this field. With my health and financial limitations, I'll likely never get to hunt anything like that. Sounds exciting though, if you make through!:eek:

·
Registered
228 Posts
9.3 Hot Rod

Just my opinion (which doesn't mean squat!) but if you need to Hot Rod a 9.3, maybe what you really need is a 375 H&H or something bigger :eek:
Personally I like the fact that the 9.3x62 can get it done without excessive pressure, it really is enough for any North American game in standard loadings, of course modern bullets and powders can stretch it's performance, but it hits well above it's weight class. I understand that some always feel the need to push the envelope, and that is their choice. As for me, the 9.3 will be my next build, and I will maintain standard loadings, as Elk & Moose will probably be the biggest thing I ever hunt. I do occasionally dream of Africa, but not the "Stomp me, Bite me, Eat me" species, just the "Exotic Horned" species. :D If I were going for "The Big 5" a 404 Jeffery would get the nod. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just my opinion (which doesn't mean squat!) but if you need to Hot Rod a 9.3, maybe what you really need is a 375 H&H or something bigger :eek:
Personally I like the fact that the 9.3x62 can get it done without excessive pressure, it really is enough for any North American game in standard loadings, of course modern bullets and powders can stretch it's performance, but it hits well above it's weight class. I understand that some always feel the need to push the envelope, and that is their choice. As for me, the 9.3 will be my next build, and I will maintain standard loadings, as Elk & Moose will probably be the biggest thing I ever hunt. I do occasionally dream of Africa, but not the "Stomp me, Bite me, Eat me" species, just the "Exotic Horned" species. :D If I were going for "The Big 5" a 404 Jeffery would get the nod. Just my .02 cents
404 Jeffery,another round I am very intrigued by. I love the old cartridges with a rich history and well known effectiveness. Very nice.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You're right about the 404's rich history, same with the 9.3 (1905) they both perform well, without those high pressures of the big Magnums.
A big push, instead of slapping you silly! I like that!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Lion and elephant hunting today is pretty much a limited deal, farms for lion and outrageous prices for elephant (except tuskless , only about $12,00 in ZA). I've had the opportunity to shoot tuskless animals, but did not. Twice I've been chased by mad elephants. the screams are deafening One was within 15 foot, and gaining on our open vehicle, at night. My encounters with lion are again when I was the prey. Hunting plains game we had pride of lions start to hunt us. I think they were stalking the same herd and discovered us. one roared and we backed away, no charge. Similarly, hunting buffalo in a dry river bottom, we disturbed a lion in high grass. because he was alone, figure and old beat up male; might have been sleeping. He took of very close to us plowing thru the high grass within 15 yards.

Elephants and lions in open concessions are not plentiful, natives kill many as the elephants destroy crops. found one elephant carcass that had been snared with heavy cable attached to a 15 foot dead tree log for a drag.

In these 4 encounters I was carrying a 416 mag with solids. close to a lion, it felt inadequate. I've never been a fast shooter, more deliberate and accurate type. In all of this close encounters, I do not know if I could have even got off a shot. An elephants brain is a tall shot, and from close it is a high angle. Nice to have a PH with you; But few PHs I've met have ever shot a lion, elephant or cape buffalo. these animals just cost too much for a PH salary, and if they are doing their job there should be no accidents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Normas loads with 286 grs top at 2400 fps: 9,3x62 - Norma

More speed doesn't always mean more effiency.The cartridge was constructed for german farmers in Tanganyika and Namibia in the beginning of the 20th century.

Pete

1 - 20 of 46 Posts