Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Normas loads with 286 grs top at 2400 fps: 9,3x62 - Norma

More speed doesn't always mean more effiency.The cartridge was constructed for german farmers in Tanganyika and Namibia in the beginning of the 20th century.

Pete
I agree. I just don't know how the Real Guns load data achieves those velocities without going into insane pressures. And everyone knows that high pressures and hot African weather don't mix very well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Lion and elephant hunting today is pretty much a limited deal, farms for lion and outrageous prices for elephant (except tuskless , only about $12,00 in ZA). I've had the opportunity to shoot tuskless animals, but did not. Twice I've been chased by mad elephants. the screams are deafening One was within 15 foot, and gaining on our open vehicle, at night. My encounters with lion are again when I was the prey. Hunting plains game we had pride of lions start to hunt us. I think they were stalking the same herd and discovered us. one roared and we backed away, no charge. Similarly, hunting buffalo in a dry river bottom, we disturbed a lion in high grass. because he was alone, figure and old beat up male; might have been sleeping. He took of very close to us plowing thru the high grass within 15 yards.

Elephants and lions in open concessions are not plentiful, natives kill many as the elephants destroy crops. found one elephant carcass that had been snared with heavy cable attached to a 15 foot dead tree log for a drag.

In these 4 encounters I was carrying a 416 mag with solids. close to a lion, it felt inadequate. I've never been a fast shooter, more deliberate and accurate type. In all of this close encounters, I do not know if I could have even got off a shot. An elephants brain is a tall shot, and from close it is a high angle. Nice to have a PH with you; But few PHs I've met have ever shot a lion, elephant or cape buffalo. these animals just cost too much for a PH salary, and if they are doing their job there should be no accidents.
Wow, very interesting and dangerous encounters, to say the least! I guess it's easy to imagine that we can tackle big man eating animals while we're sitting in our living room, but face to face would make most of us tremble! I remember reading about a hunter who encountered a large grizzly bear and said that all of a sudden his rifle felt like a red ryder BB gun!
Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree. I just don't know how the Real Guns load data achieves those velocities without going into insane pressures. And everyone knows that high pressures and hot African weather don't mix very well.
The Real Guns data lists 61.5gr of Re17 and the 286gr NP bullet as a maximum load for a muzzle velocity of 2501 fps -

"Nosler Partition 286 .... Re17...61.5 gr...2501 fps ... 3974 ft-lb"

With 61.5 gr of Re17, QuickLOAD calculates pressure at about 50,000 psi. Definitely a warm load :eek: :D -

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
All this lockdown 'stuff' has me reloading everything I have. searching for some 9.3x62 load brought me back to this thread (a 5 year old one).

Ranges are closed so no load developement can be done. I'll be loading 50 grs imr 4064 under a 286 @2100 fps. that is a medium load, but wwhat I'm pressently sighted in for.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you have the technical status to determine that? Or are you guessing based on what others of a similar degree of professionalism have assumed?

I know from experience that +2400 fps from a 286 Hornady is near the limit using certain powders and rifles; I also know there are much better powders and rifles that will give a 200 fps increase safely.

And QL confirms that.

Not all handloaders are negative over traditional loads... BUT, not all handloaders are negative over getting the best that new powders, bullets and rifles will safely give from a vintage 1905 cartridge, either!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
All this lockdown 'stuff' has me reloading everything I have. searching for some 9.3x62 load brought me back to this thread (a 5 year old one).

Ranges are closed so no load developement can be done. I'll be loading 50 grs imr 4064 under a 286 @2100 fps. that is a medium load, but wwhat I'm pressently sighted in for.
Yup. I got some 9.3 bullets coming. When I first had it re-bored, all I had on it was a signature presentation pad. That 285 gr. bullet at 2300 fps was more than I wanted to spend a day off the bench with. I've since installed a true recoil pad and will be able to tone some of my loads down a bit. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Remember most published 9.3x62 data is loaded below the CIP maximum of 57K PSI. AFAIK there is not a SAAMI standard for 9.3x62 pressure. But if one only loads it to the same limit as the 30-06 (60K PSI) it'll do 2500 with 286's or 2650 with 250's. Considering the SAAMI max for the 35 Whelen is 62K PSI and the 338-06 is 63K PSI, I think it is fair to say one could push above those figures I quoted by a bit without being in dangerous territory. [EDIT: In a modern rifle suitable for 62-63K PSI, that is]
Don't confuse that statement with an advocacy of doing so. I plan to stick with 60K numbers or less in mine, since my rifle is a Springfield, made of course for the '06.
Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I agree Trex. lots of room for higher pressure , 'cause the standard is based upon 100 year old rifles.

I don't push my CZ 550 although it is plenty strong. My 9.3x62 is my light DGR...and fun to shoot. 416 mag is my heavy DGR, also fun to shoot. both work fine on big stuff...but not on a Tyrannosaurus.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Feell like Im going back in time on this thread but what the heck! Ive shot most DG species with the 9.3x62, My favorite loads have been the 320 gr. Woodleigh and close to 2400 fps and the 286 Nosler at an easy 2500 FPS..Americans tend to under load such rounds as the 7x57, 8x57 and the 9.3x62 probably because of the old Mausers and single shot floating around, and they do themselves and injustice....I'll bet dollars to donuts that onbody can tell the difference in killing effect on any game between the 9.3x62 and the 375 H&H or the 9.3x64 for that matter.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If I could only hav one rifle for big game including DG in NA, Alaska, Africa....the 9.3x62 would be the one.

Ony negative is it isn't as flat shooting as my 300 RUM. even with my ancient legs, I can slowly stalk game, but it does hurt in the joints!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Feell like Im going back in time on this thread but what the heck! Ive shot most DG species with the 9.3x62, My favorite loads have been the 320 gr. Woodleigh and close to 2400 fps and the 286 Nosler at an easy 2500 FPS..Americans tend to under load such rounds as the 7x57, 8x57 and the 9.3x62 probably because of the old Mausers and single shot floating around, and they do themselves and injustice....I'll bet dollars to donuts that onbody can tell the difference in killing effect on any game between the 9.3x62 and the 375 H&H or the 9.3x64 for that matter.
What was your load for the 320gr woodleighs if I may ask?

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
I know Big5-- suffice to say, whatever he's loading it's too much. ;)
I'd work up in my own rifle and not trust anybody else.

A very capable gunsmith asked me why the double rifle in 9.3x74R he was working with was leaking primers. Casting the chambers confused us, but slugging the bores showed .358 bore diameters. :eek:
There are sometimes variables we don't know about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know Big5-- suffice to say, whatever he's loading it's too much.

I'd work up in my own rifle and not trust anybody else.

A very capable gunsmith asked me why the double rifle in 9.3x74R he was working with was leaking primers. Casting the chambers confused us, but slugging the bores showed .358 bore diameters.

There are sometimes variables we don't know about.
Just want to know as a starting point. Have seen about 5 guys on different forums getting 2400fps plus with RL-17 and 320gr woodleighs. Just gathering info for now.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Remember Oelof. Not everything you see on the net is true. many post what velocity they guess they are getting, they don't even own a chrograph.

Do you really believe that anyone in Namibia owns a chro and scale; much less knows whaat energy is?

Last safari I was one, I had to register all ammo I brought in. then on leaving un-register all ammo I was taking out. Yep, total non-sense. well, I spent about 1/2 hour with 4 armed custom dudes, sitting on the lawn at customs, them trying to figure how much ammo I had. took me a few minutes to figure the problem out. None of the customs dudes could count above 10 (and that only with difficulty). I brought 40 rounds in (on the paper work) and took 17 back out of counrty. they couldn't figure that out.

Wardens are much smarter, they can read what you cartridge box says and they know brand ammo. reloads are no-man's land...guilty.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,796 Posts
Oelof is registered as being from S. Africa.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Oelof, do you think that they will actually chronograph your load??? Would 100 fps really make a problem??

It appeared thatthey picked the value to just make the 375 H&H legal. Is that right?

Most places would just look up your cartridge on their list of known acceptable energy cartridges...if it isn't on there no-go. Would you need to get your higher energy 9.3x62 certified?

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Trying to find the lightest load and rifle for things that stomp, stir, claw and chew seems to be going the wrong way. Most are trying to find the biggest rifle they can shoot well.

I understand where the OP is coming from though. If I went to Africa I'd like to shoot my Whelen, but I'd have a .375 for when the suitability is in doubt. Bullet selection would be first and I see many more .375 DG bullets than I do 35s and 9.3s.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the 9.3x62 is an adequate cartridge for cape buffalo. AND it is relatively mild to shoot. Most people will shoot it better than 416 rifles. As with all big game, shot placement is the most important thing; and if the 9.3x62 give the shooter more accuracy that is great.

What we are talking about is only how to COMPLY with a Namibia regulation.

No cape buffalo is going to notice 150 FPS velocity different in a proper shot.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts