Shooters Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well, if you check out Doubletap's loads for the 9.3x62 they include one that's a 250gr TTSX @ 2650 FPS out of a Ruger M77 with 24" barrel. Now that's a pretty stout load.
Wow, I didn't even know that Doubletap made 9.3x62. Doesn't really matter I guess, I hardly ever buy factory ammo. I love rolling my own
Thanks Tnhunter!
Lots of max loads with the 286gr that are at or above 2600 fps. RL-17 and IMR 4895 will do this with the PRVI bullets. I use PRVI bullets and cases.

Europeans also run higher pressures than American standards. loaded Norma ammo in a European cartridge like the 8mm and 9.3, are hot loadings and real performers.

ON the 2600 and the 9.3x62, these heavy loads should only be used in modern firearms like the Rugers and CZ.
No offense to my friends at DoubleTap, but I would chrono those loads before I started building drop charts. Their 10mm and .357 Sig ammo, has started coming up 100 fps short of claims on the box.

I'm trying to get Barnes to start loading more calibers in their Safari line, and I'm close to getting g the 375 Ruger a greenlight!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
With todays powder, and a good strong action like a good Mauser or mod. 70, those velocities are a walk in the park with a 9.3x62..I shot it for many years with such loads, shot probably 15 or more Cape buffalo with it..I can't tell any difference in it and the 375 H&H on buffalo, and being in the hunting business I have seen it used on one elephant and several Lions, It and the 9.3x64 are very popular DG calibers witht the European crowd..

·
Registered
108 Posts
It all depends on the rifle you are loading for. Those loads are pushing 60.000 psi. Not safe in all but new rifles. Use common sense and research what loads you are considering.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All this lockdown 'stuff' has me reloading everything I have. searching for some 9.3x62 load brought me back to this thread (a 5 year old one).

Ranges are closed so no load developement can be done. I'll be loading 50 grs imr 4064 under a 286 @2100 fps. that is a medium load, but wwhat I'm pressently sighted in for.
Let's get real for a moment. In 1905 when Herr Bock invented this cartridge they used it to kill buffalo and elephant at 2100 fps. What makes anyone think they can improve on that?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Let's get real for a moment. In 1905 when Herr Bock invented this cartridge they used it to kill buffalo and elephant at 2100 fps. What makes anyone think they can improve on that?
I'm not sure if you have a great sense of humor or somehow tied to the early 20th century.
When Herr Bock hunted he used a 10 pound solid copper or bronze bullet :)
(That is my sense of humor) ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah that didn't come out the way I intended. I was trying to make the point that if it could kill elephant at 2100 fps I don't see where 2600 will kill them deader? I have never seen the need to hot rod any round as the ranges I hunt at it just isn't needed. If you want to shoot at long range there are many more suitable round for that purpose. Just one man's opinion. Not trying to be a smart a*s

41 - 46 of 46 Posts