Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been loading more than usual because of Social Distancing etc. lol.

I have been prepping 9.3 brass this week. Finally loaded them after mowing this morning.

Speer 270 gr. bullets...63.3 gr. H4350. Just above Minimum. Can't imagine what 67 Max load would look like. lol. I hand weighed every charge and they are all accurate.

Loaded some 285 with H335 too. Can't wait to shoot them off the bench...:D

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Do you have a range where you can shoot off the bench that is open and available? That's be great. Let us know how those loads work out!
Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
During my confinement, I loaded 50 rounds of 9,3x62. Used 286 PPV and 54 grs of 4064.

My range just opened yesterday. need to check sight-in on it and my M1 carbine reloads.

·
Registered
558 Posts
While our ranges didn't close, the weather hasn't cooperated until recently so I too have only recently been able to do some checking of loads I did a few months ago. It's nice that the range is only about 10 minutes from me so that I can pop over and do some testing at will. Then I go back home and load up hundreds of rds to use this summer which is what I did this last week.

Unfortunately, today I'm tied up putting up shelving in my daughter's garage so I won't make it to the range today. A little later in the week I'll have time though and I feel like bringing a bunch of rifles and carbines and making some serious smoke.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a Range in Houston open. My close-by and other usual range are both closed. I have been to the Houston one a couple of times, but it is pricey and if it has rained in the previous week rubber boots are a must. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got test ladders loaded up for my Nine-Three using 2000-MR and the 250 Nosler AB and the 286 Partition. Waiting for the county range to open back up. It was never ordered closed, it was just that so many of the folks running it (mostly volunteers) ended up self quarantining that they did not have the staff to run safe operations per their SOPs. On the upside, I have decided to become a volunteer there to try to help out and I get my Line Safety Officer training this week. Then I'll shoot for free as long as I put in at least 10 hours per month of volunteer time. I figured this works out to the equivalent of $3.20 per hour. Woo Hoo!
And first choice on the range brass too? I'll be rich! Rich!! LOL.
Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
UMy go to load for Africa including DG and for elk or bear in the US is The 286 partition, Accubond, Woodleigh stoked with 60 to 61 grs. of RL-17 pushing pretty close to 2600 fps, but in a 26" barreled gun. Ive found RL-17 to be the powder by a tad for the 9.3x62, and I suppose every little bit helps, H414 is close but no ceegar..

I like the 300 gr. Swift, and the 320 gr. Woodleigh also with RL-17 and pushing 2400 in my long tube..

Additional add on update

I tried the above loads in a 24 inch barrel the other day and velocity hardly varied at all..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Our range finally opened back up! I got out there with John Barsness' load for the 250 NAB and Varget. Yeah Baby!
I got 90 FPS less than John did but my batch of Varget is pretty old - I'll need to try it with some new stuff, whenever I can find some.

The 2000-MR was not quite as accurate but I may need another grain of it to find the sweet spot.
Cheers,
Rex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our range finally opened back up! I got out there with John Barsness' load for the 250 NAB and Varget. Yeah Baby!
I got 90 FPS less than John did but my batch of Varget is pretty old - I'll need to try it with some new stuff, whenever I can find some.

The 2000-MR was not quite as accurate but I may need another grain of it to find the sweet spot.
Cheers,
Rex
I planned on going yesterday, but some other stuff came up last minute. Next week.

I hope my JES re-bore shoots as good as yours.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I planned on going yesterday, but some other stuff came up last minute. Next week.

I hope my JES re-bore shoots as good as yours.
I hope so too. The Nine-Three is shooting great, but I am still struggling with the 338-06 Jess did for me at the same time. I have an adequate load with the 210 Partition but am hoping for an "inspiring" load.

·
Registered
172 Posts
UMy go to load for Africa including DG and for elk or bear in the US is The 286 partition, Accubond, Woodleigh stoked with 60 to 61 grs. of RL-17 pushing pretty close to 2600 fps, but in a 26" barreled gun. Ive found RL-17 to be the powder by a tad for the 9.3x62, and I suppose every little bit helps, H414 is close but no ceegar..

I like the 300 gr. Swift, and the 320 gr. Woodleigh also with RL-17 and pushing 2400 in my long tube..

Additional add on update

I tried the above loads in a 24 inch barrel the other day and velocity hardly varied at all..
Interesting. I just shot the 286 PT over 61 grains of RL-17 and only got 2250 fps out of my 23" barrel.
It looks like my rifle is going to need a fair bit more to get up to the sweet spot around 60K PSI which ought to give me nearly 2500 fps.

Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
172 Posts

Cheers,
Rex
As an update, I got a response from John Barsness over at the 24 Hour Campfire reminding me that while his original load workup that got 2650 with the 250 AB and 60.5/Varget happened in 2007, and that in subsequent lots of Varget he used, it took as much as 62 grains to get that same velocity/pressure level. I'm going to try bumping mine up a grain and see how that works.

I also added 0.7 gr to my previously calculated 250 AB load of 67.8/2000-MR which I expected to yield 2670 fps but only delivered 2621 fps. I was surprised that just bumping to 68.5/2000-MR upped the velocity to 2700 fps. IMO, it was just a bit much and I will back it off by a few tenths to a load that gives a consistent 2650 fps. All of these are shooting MOA in my rifle.
Just for fun, once I get the Varget and 2000-MR shooting the same speed, I'll do a case head expansion comparison.

Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
7 Posts
My next project is to load some 9.3x62 with the Nosler Accubond 250gr for a slightly flatter / faster shooting deer bullet

·
Registered
172 Posts
My next project is to load some 9.3x62 with the Nosler Accubond 250gr for a slightly flatter / faster shooting deer bullet
Well that's doubtless a good path to a fine deer load, BUT that 250 NAB is quite a tough bullet and plenty for much larger game (an of course, good for deer too)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts