Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you all tell me about the 9.3x57 cartridge?

I'm buying a Husqvarna sporter rifle in that caliber and am anxious to learn about it. I was told it was a 308 case necked up to 9.3 millimeter and was comparable to a 358 Winchester which is the same case necked up to 35 calliber. I guess 9.3 Millimeter would be about 385 or so? 9mm is .380 so just a tad more right?

This rifle is really cool. It is a Swedish Mauser action, factory sporting rifle. Stock is shaped a bit like a Winchester model 70 featherweight but the fore end is a tad shorter and the front sling swivel is on a barrel band not the stock. Sights are semi fixed. Adjustable for windage by tapping the rear sight in the dovetail slot. No elevation adjustment that I've seen. Nothing drilled and tapped on the receiver. Stock wood is a bit plain but it fits me so well I can look at something, close my eyes, bring the gun up and open my eyes and the front sight is in the bottom of the notch and it's right on target!!!!! Has about 1/2" or a bit more of cast off to the stock. I've got it on hold and will do an official layaway tomorrow. Comes with one box of Norma ammo that I believe is 286 grain bullets.

So, I know I've read posts about this round before but can't find them now. I'm guessing it would be a fine limited range elk, moose or hog rifle but I'm certainly looking for tips, comments and data. Was I told correctly that you can fire form cases from 308 brass? That would be great if true.

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
.366 actually. A fairly good bullet selection. Power wise, it is between the -06 and the -08 case series. It packs quite a bit of power in a fairly nice package.

Good shooting,
Gary

·
Banned
484 Posts
It should land squarely in the middle of the very small gap netween the .358 Winchester and .35 Whelen in power and performance, and that is a really nice neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="8%">

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="26%">

Speer

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="22%"></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="22%">

IMR-4895

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="11%">

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="11%">

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=6></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="8%">232</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="26%">Norma</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="22%"></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="22%">IMR-3031</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="11%">48.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="11%">2,485</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=6></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A couple loads, FYI. You can push a 286 grainer to about 2000 fps.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Dave
I was also intersted in this round , as rifles can be bought fairly cheap from Tradeexcanada.
How ever Dies cost just about as much as the gun.

Oversea's they are called a pumpin thrower , so I suspect it will be somewhat like the 45/70 in the guide gun, where you site three inch's high @ 100 yrs and kill anything that walks in the eastern bush within 150 yards .
Well I am sure no moose is going to have a big enough cork to plug the hole you put into him- so enjoy the hunt.
Never said if your gun was based on the 96 action or 98 big ring ,which would be a considered in your reloading of this old cartridge.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Believe it is the 96 Swede action. Still have not bought it, just got it on hold.

What's up with the dies? I'd think if this round is as popular in Europe as I've heard and has been around since about 1900, there should be a ton of reloading info, parts and data for it. Granted, it might be mostly across the pond but I'd think that enough of it would have trickled this way to be reasonable.

Guess I'll have to check around.

By the way, any tips on fire forming brass cases from the 8X57? I've never done any fire forming. I'm wondering about stretching the case that far without splitting them or getting them too thin. Annealing is something I've never done too. I think I've seen pics of it being done with cases standing in water about up to the shoulder to act as a heat sink but that's about all I know.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
Dies can be purchased from RCBS or Redding. Google their web sites to find. Norma makes cases and loaded ammo for this cartridge.

"Cartridges of the World", page 366 lists a couple loadings for 232 and 286 gr bullets.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
By the way, any tips on fire forming brass cases from the 8X57? I've never done any fire forming. I'm wondering about stretching the case that far without splitting them or getting them too thin. Annealing is something I've never done too.
You're not really fireforming...just necking up. I load for a 9x57 Mauser and the bump up from the 8x57 is small, so I do it in one step. You could bump up to 358 and then to 366, if you have problems w/ a one step neckup. Lube well and go slow.

I would check your 8x57 brass to see if it chambers in your new rifle first. If it fits, then do not totally full length size. Just size the neck and body of the case w/out pushing the shoulder back.

Nothing special after that anymore than with any new brass in a chamber that will be a bit larger than the case. You may want to just neck size after the first firing, in case the headspace is longer than standard "57".

If you get the rifle, I have a bunch of load data. I thought my rifle was a 9.3x57, but after casting the chamber, it turned out to be a 9 (or .356") x 57. I would rather have the 9.3.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.

Leverite, not sure how soon I'll have it in my possession but I'll surely take you up on the info.

Now, do any of you all have some hands on experience type stories of actual hunting performance of this rifle???

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
field performance wise, this thing will HAMMER just about anything in all of north america with ease. So one thing you do not need to worry over is "will it die", if you do your part the round will most certainly do its part.

Good Hunting,
Gary

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, update.

Went and actually "made it official" today and put some money down on the rifle. Got to checking and turns out it is not a Swede action, it's a large ring Mauser which I guess is good since I've read they are the stronger action and have gas ports for safety.

Now for my next series of questions.... (Gee, it just won't STOP will it....)

Anyway, I'm wondering about the possibility of loading this caliber down. I'm talking handgun velocities for plinking or close range whitetail work in a load my kid could handle. I figure a 286 grain bullet going 1600fps or so would still hammer the snot out of a whitetail. I'm primarily a bow hunter (Wooden longbow and wood arrows) so I don't have any problem waiting for a close shot or teaching my kids to hunt the same way. My daughter is 15 and normally shoots my 45-70 for deer but I want her to be comfortable with other guns too. Actually, I kinda feel bad as I've been planning to buy her a deer rifle of her very own and here I'm getting this gun for me and she still doesn't have one. Of course, she wants my 45-70 and if I really like the Husky, maybe she'll get the marlin after all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@Dave Bulla,

If she can shoot a 45/70 with comfort I would think that the 9.3x57 would be good to go :)

One powder to look closely at: http://www.imrpowder.com/trailboss.html
How much do you know about Down Loading in general? I have done the cast bullet / down load thing many times in the past, and I have a few tips. But you may already know them...

Good Shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
diriel,

Not much really. Feel free to jump in and treat me like a total newbie. I've reloaded off and on for years but very basic stuff. I've got an RCBS rock chucker supreme set and recently I've been playing around with the old classic Lee Loaders. Kinda get a kick out of those things.

Reloading experience has been limited to 30.06, 45-70, 7mm mag and 44 mag on the rcbs. Did 45-70 and 7mm on the lee loader kit. Maybe 2 or 3 hundred rounds tops total for all combined. I'm not a big bullet burner. I practice now and then, sight in if guns have sat for a long time and at least half of all the ammo I use is store bought most of the time.

As for powders on hand, I know I've got 3031 and 4064 but I think I've also got two other bottles but I'd have to go down the basement to see what they are. I think one is 4198.

I've often thought about doing my own cast bullets but never have.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
As for cast bullets, I did not realize the 9.3 would be quite so challenging. NEI makes a couple of bullet molds for it, but good luck finding gas checks for it. You end up ordering special order bullet molds that accept the 375 gas check.

On the other hand, I did find a bit of information you might find *VERY* useful.
-1 of 4 - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?48833-300-grain-Hornady-9-3-Bullet
This starts things out rather interestingly.
- 2 of 4 - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...-Point-and-225-Grain-9-3x57&highlight=hornady
A good bit of information to think about!
-3 of 4 - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...5-Spire-Point-Range-Results&highlight=hornady
Getting pretty dang close now!
-4 of 4 - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...ady-225-Resized-for-9-3x57&highlight=deer 225
Eureka!!

This, for me, was a Very Interesting Read. I learned something new and am now really considering a 9.3 of some kind! A good friend of mine many years ago had a 9.3 like yours. He cast for it, but he has been into reloading for over 40 years and knows just about every trick there is when it comes to cast bullets. Including where to get "old & obsolete" bullet molds for little or nothing. Unfortunately he is out of state now days, and apparently out of touch, for now at least.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=362131
These are *WAY* cheaper than any of the 9.3 bullets I have seen, and they do very well!

Good shooting,
Gary
P.S. I hope posting links to other boards is ok. If not I apologize, but this information is truly excellent!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts