Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one coming in either tomorrow or Saturday. It is a Ruger No. 1 Medium Sporter. Any pet loads? And yes, I quadruple check any recommended load data against my loading manuals.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I have one coming in either tomorrow or Saturday. It is a Ruger No. 1 Medium Sporter.
Sweet!

The forum has several 9.3X62 fans, and you will surely get some numbers.

My Swedish colleagues love it for elk, (moose).

If I didn't have a fortune in Whelens, it would be at the top of my list.

Reactions: 7x57 #1

·
Registered
703 Posts
Mine is a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless.
I've named it "The Judge". :cool:
I'm using 56.5gn of Varget behind the Speer 270gn Semi-Spitzer in a Lapua case.
Now, T3s shoot like mad as it is and it shoots well under MOA @100m.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I have one coming in either tomorrow or Saturday. It is a Ruger No. 1 Medium Sporter. Any pet loads? And yes, I quadruple check any recommended load data against my loading manuals.
Thanks!
Congratulaions on a fine new rifle. I looked at both the #1 and a CZ 550 Carbine in 9.3x62 before ending up with the CZ just a couple weeks ago. I can tell you it was not due to the lack of class exuded by that #1 tho, that's one beautiful rifle! It just went to the range for it's first outing this past Tuesday getting it ready for an upcoming hog hunt. Depending on where you find brass, it might be just as economical to buy some fairly inexpensive factory rounds for break-in and initial work-up and using the brass for your loads after. Just a thought.

Enjoy that rifle! :D

Attachments

Reactions: 7x57 #1 and Tmygun

·
Registered
883 Posts
The only think I know about the 9.3x62 is it is an extremely powerful cartridge, probably more so that the .338 Win Mag. I'd guess that it was designed for African hunting, although it'd work on huge bears in North America.

Doesn't that cartridge shoot 300 grain bullets?

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Most Typical loadings today are 232gr, 250gr, 285(6)gr and there are some in 320gr.

Overall power-wise, it's very close to the .35 Whelen and can exceed the Whelen it in some loadings.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have one in the Ruger African, purchased April 2011. The "cheap" PRVI ammo shoots well in it, 1" groups. Because the PRVI ammo shot so well I knew that this gun was a Shooter. I tinkered with powder that I had in my stock. The IMR 4064 powder worked great with Hornady 286 grn bullets 56 grains of powder with groups better than the PRVI ammo. I also loaded some Nosler 250 grn Accubonds, I found that IMR 4320 of near 60 grains also worked well. I also used#250 primers and Hornady brass. The scope on the gun is a 1-4 variable and I don't hold as steady as I used to, so I am happy to attain under 1" groups at 100 yards. This data is specific to my gun only, always stay within published data in a current loading manual.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It was designed for German farmers in Africa in 1905 but that was to provide an effective and affordable cartridge which could be chambered in standard Mauser 98 actions as compared to the very pricey double rifles chambered to nitro express cartridges. But that was before the 375 H&H, which made it obsolete in some ways.
The 9.3x62 is very similar to 35 Whelen and only trumps it in bullet weight, meplat and slightly more powder space thanks to a shorter neck.
338 Win is a significantly more powerful cartridge and in most situations will out perform the 9.3mm. However, on dangerous game like buffalo a 9.3x62 with a 286gn bonded core bullet or solid has better penetration and initial impact. The mistake many make with the 338 is screwing up super fast loads. Guides who take people buffalo hunting in Northern Australia recommend hunters who absolutely MUST use their 338s load the heaviest bullet they can find to between 2400fps and 2500fps.
But, like the 35 Whelen, there's little game in the Americas that can't be taken by the 9.3x62. Trajectory tends to be it's limitation.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
The 9.3x62 has enjoyed a lot more popularity here in the U.S. in the last several years. Although it's not the .338WM or the .375 H&H, with loads such as a 250gr TTSX @ 2650 FPS giving 3900 FPE at the muzzle or a 250gr Accubond @ 2550 FPS giving 3600 FPE, it will do most anything the 338 will do at close to medium ranges.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's exactly the strength of the 9.3x62, and it's less mean on the shoulder, not much more than a 30-06 IMO.
Guys who want a 338 Win want them for distance shooting.
If your game is sizable and not further than about 240yds the 9.3x62 is ideal.
You can pull off longer shots but you really need to know your rifle.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Welcome Tmy.

that is a nive gun you got, congratulations.

Got a CZ 550 Fs in 9.3 last year. I've put 300 round thru it, all reloads.

Using PPU cases and the 296 PPI bullets with 51 grains of IMR 4064-- I. shoot less than sub MOA. Many times I get 3 clover leaf groups, then I usually fail somewhat and open it to 1" on the next 3.

I consider this load, moderate. there is no reason for more velocity as the gun is just a deer/hog/black bear for me. I have heavier rifles for moose/griz/c buf.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Congrats on the Ruger No 1! Sweet gun & classy to boot ! The 9.3x62 is my grail cartridge, I plan to build one on a 98 mauser action this summer. I have read of a lot of success on NA big game (moose, elk & grizzly) with the Speer 270 grn SP @ 2400-2500 fps, pick your powder RL-17, IMR-4350, Varget, etc... Amazingly this cartridge does'nt seem to be picky about powders or bullets. Good Luck and show us that beauty when she arrives!!
The stories of taking African Buff and Hippo are endless (africahunting.com) truly a legendary cartridge.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate all the input. I did want a bolt action in the 9.3x62, but I'm left handed, and there's not much love for us south paws when it comes to bolt actions:(. But I'll make due with my lowly No.1:D.
Right now I have some Reloader 15 and some Hornady 286gr. and Prvi 285gr. bullets to work with.
I really like the history that the 9.3x62 has. I almost got a Ruger left hand bolt in 375 Ruger, but I thought it might be too much of a good thing.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Those No1s are pretty rifles. I have a No1H in 450/400 NE 3" and have never regretted buying it. I look forward to seeing a couple of pics of yours.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those No1s are pretty rifles. I have a No1H in 450/400 NE 3" and have never regretted buying it. I look forward to seeing a couple of pics of yours.
Oh man, a 450/400 Nitro Express! What a classic. I love the old classics, like 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery, 470NE, 475NE, etc. etc., but they just aren't practical for someone who will never (way too poor) hunt in Africa, Asia, etc. I'm in Pennsylvania, where black bears are the most "dangerous" game we have.
What have you taken with that 450/400?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I haven't taken it anywhere yet. I bought it to take to the Northern Territory to hunt water buffalo but prices have gone up. Hopefully I'll be able to save up and go on a hunt. Here's a pic of my Ruger No1:

Until the introduction of the 375 H&H a sporting double in 400 Jeffrey (as the 450/400 NE 3" was also known) was considered the ideal all round hunting rifle for the world over and specifically for Africa. The 9.3x62 was essentially the poor man's alternative chambered in a Mauser 98. But 9.3x62 is also very popular in Europe for deer, moose, bear and especially wild boar. Has been for about a century. Despite the fact it's a relative newcomer in the USA in Africa and Europe many more rifles have been chambered to it and much more game has been taken with it than the 35 Whelen. In fact, I think Townsend Whelen based the 35 on it. His 400 Whelen would've been an interesting competitor for the 9.3x62 but the confusion over the shoulder diameter and the issues that stemmed from it prevented the 400 Whelen from becoming successful.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, that is BEE-U-TEE-FUL! Have you put it on paper yet? I would love to have one of those if the brass and bullets weren't so expensive here. And forget factory ammo for punching paper! Could you imagine showing up in a deer camp with a 450/400NE?! The other hunters would be:eek:...lol.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yep.....that's me!:eek: I've lost a few pounds since then, thank goodness.:rolleyes:
This is me too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdgyLsnD6vk

It's a fun round to fire although the light rifle does rattle your teeth a tad. Feeding it is pricey though. Woodleighs makes great bullets for it but they know what they're worth and both Hornady and Bertram brass is exy. I really need to do some homework with it this year. I have a Lynx 1.75-5x20WA scope for it but it needs QD rings. Geez, it needs ANY rings. The factory ones went missing when we moved. But I need projectiles and more brass and time on the range.......which should be a tad unkind on the shoulder.

BTW, the deer camp thing - yeah, it would blow people's minds. Mind you, a buddy has a SxS double in 450/400 he's thinking of taking sambar deer hunting. THAT would would make jaws drop. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That looks harsh standing up, I would not like to shoot from the bench with that beast! I had a Marlin 1895 45-70 that I used to load up with 405gr. hard cast bullets and healthy doses of Accurate 2015 powder. That thing was just plain unpleasant/painful to shoot. I now enjoy my rebored Malin 336 in 38-55 Win. I used to shoot everything heavy when I was younger. My 45 years are catching up with me:(. But I still like to abuse myself, that's why I got a 9.3x62. But the 9.3 can be loaded down to middle aged loads:D.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts