Shooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Very nice! Congrats! I've just acquired a new 9.3x74R No.1 rifle. Fires the same bullets as your 9.3x62. For hunting I will be loading the 286gr Nosler Partition bullet. This bullet should hold together well and penetrate deeply on heavy game. It has a pretty decent ballistic coefficient of 0.482 for down-range retained energy. :)
The 9.3x74R is a great old cartridge. I went with the 9.3x62 because of brass availability and cost, and it also has a distinguished history. If you split a x74R case it will make you cry:(.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Or you can do like me and get both :D

A CZ 550 Carbine in 9.3x62 with 30mm 1-4 with illuminated #4 and a Verney Carron Sagittaire in 9.3x74R with 30mm 1.25-4 with illuminated #4.

286gr in both, hand loaded in the longer version and Hornady factory in the shorter 9.3

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Or you can do like me and get both :D

A CZ 550 Carbine in 9.3x62 with 30mm 1-4 with illuminated #4 and a Verney Carron Sagittaire in 9.3x74R with 30mm 1.25-4 with illuminated #4.

286gr in both, hand loaded in the longer version and Hornady factory in the shorter 9.3
Now you're just being mean, but they're a couple of beautiful rifles there:) That 9.3x74R is a sleek looking round.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Thanks. It's ever so slightly longer than the .375 H&H.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
No, it's an over under double rifle. I do own a shotgun rifle combo tho, a Valmet M412; 12ga over .308

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Wow, you must have paid at least $500.00 each for those doubles:D.
Yup, something like that! :D

Verney Carron over the Valmet

Attachments

Reactions: Tmygun

·
Registered
242 Posts
The 9.3x74R is a great old cartridge. I went with the 9.3x62 because of brass availability and cost, and it also has a distinguished history. If you split a x74R case it will make you cry:(.
I picked up 4 boxes of Hornady brass, 20 cases in each box, at almost $2 per case. :eek: :D

Should be enough for more than a few years. :)

Case capacity of the 9.3x74R is 84.3 grs (water), and for the 9.3x62 it's 74.9 grs. I would guess the 9.3x74R is capable of higher muzzle velocities than the 9.3x62 ?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I picked up 4 boxes of Hornady brass, 20 cases in each box, at almost $2 per case. :eek: :D

Case capacity of the 9.3x74R is 84.3 grs (water), and for the 9.3x62 it's 74.9 grs. I would guess the 9.3x74R is capable of higher muzzle velocities than the 9.3x62 ?
Sounds like my experience buying Hornady 450/400 NE 3" brass........OUCH! My wallet still stings. :(
In your Ruger #1 9.3x74R you could definitely equal 375 H&H speeds, if not 9.3x66 Sako performance, much in the same way a 45-70 can be loaded almost to 458 Win Mag territory in a #1.
The question you should ask, however, is why?
9.3x74R is the ballistic twin of 9.3x62 when used in break open doubles which aren't as strong as a bolt action.
Both in standard guise are formidable.
450/400 is rattles the teeth in a #1 and I reckon a hot loaded '74R would be as bad if not worse.
The only benefit I could see would be faster 232gn loads for plains game and antelope but there's better calibres for that.
Or perhaps to really drive 320gn bullets for dangerous game, but likewise there are better cals for that too.
Btw, got any pics of said #1? ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
My No. 1 .45-70 can digest some pretty hot loads! Then the No. 1 9.3x74R should also be able to do so. :D

I will be picking up the No. 1 9.3x74R tomorrow and will post up some pics.

In the meantime, here's my No. 1 .45-70. I would imagine the 9.3x74R barrel would have the same contour -

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes, you would be able to surpass the 9.3x62 in a #1. Cartridges for use in Africa and other hot climates were made bigger/longer in order to give good performance at relatively low pressures to facilitate easy extraction, especially in double rifles. Even in a bolt action the 416 Rigby is only loaded to about 40,000CUP, to facilitate extraction. The last thing you want when a lion is after your butt is hard bolt lift and trouble pulling that cartridge out. The smaller 416 Ruger cartridge gives the same performance as the 416 Rigby because they load it to much higher pressure levels. The 416 Rigby case is huge, it could leave the 416 Ruger in the dust if loaded to the same pressures. But as Frank Barnes said in his book "Cartridges of the World", "the British loaded their cartridges that way based on strictly good sense and experience, and that one should avoid loading the Rigby hotter for that reason." That was a loose quote, but close to what he said.

Now, if you were in Alaska and wanted to hot rod the 9.3x74R, it would probably work better because it's usually very cold (freezing in some parts) there, and that helps keep pressures down, within reason. That x74R loaded up to 375 H&H levels would really flatten a big bruin. But then again, you always want to backed up by a PH to cover your butt if something goes wrong.

That is a nice No.1 45-70 you have there. The 45-70 is another cartridge that I've had a lot of hand-loading experience with in a Marlin 1895, and you can get very good performance at relatively low pressures. Those cases popped out as easy as a black powder load. But talk about obnoxious recoil! Even with a Past recoil pad on my shoulder it was downright painful. I have read that the 45-70 loaded hot in the Marlin has been used in Africa on the "big five" with success. I have also heard of people opening up the throats on their No.1s so they could seat 400 and 500gr. bullets out farther to increase powder capacity. I imagine that would really be effective on African game.

I have always liked cartridges that were originally designed on the mild side, but that can be loaded on the wild side in modern firearms. I purchased one of the new Ruger Flat Tops in 44 Special just so I could load Elmer Keith's original hunting loads with his 250gr. SWC at 1200fps. Same reason I got that Marlin 45-70, to push the envelope. It's just fun!:D

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Tmygun,

Very nice #1 you got. I've always wanted a 9.3x62 and acquired a preWWII BRNO 98 military action for the that. One of these days when I get to stay home I just might build it.

CD

Reactions: Tmygun

·
Registered
242 Posts
The throat in my No. 1 .45-70 has been lengthened by about 3/16" for the purpose of seating 500gr bullets out further to obtain a bit more case capacity for higher muzzle velocities. I have been using a .416 Rem. mag. for a long time which was converted to a .458 Lott a few years ago, so I ain't skeered of no '74R recoil. :D

I will post up some pics of my new No. 1 '74R - in a new thread shortly. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
The throat in my No. 1 .45-70 has been lengthened by about 3/16" for the purpose of seating 500gr bullets out further to obtain a bit more case capacity for higher muzzle velocities. I have been using a .416 Rem. mag. for a long time which was converted to a .458 Lott a few years ago, so I ain't skeered of no '74R recoil. :D
Nuff said! ;)
Have you done anything to tame the 45/70?
Thick pad, extra weight, etc?

I look forward to it! :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

When are you getting a 700 Nitro Express? You need a real gun instead of those little pea shooter:D.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts

I really lucked out with cases and bullets for my 9.3x74R. A fella I sold a 6.5x55 to had 100 brand new cases (Norma?) that he had bought in preparation for a new 9.3x74R he never got and I traded him about 130 rounds of 6.5x55 straight up for the 100 cases. Then someone mentioned they had 100 286gr Hornady bullets gathering dust and Voila, all I needed to do was get them "together". :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nuff said! ;)
Have you done anything to tame the 45/70?
Thick pad, extra weight, etc?
The stock recoil pad works just fine. But I have broken 2 decent quality popular brand scopes on this rifle. I don't load it too hot anymore because I would really hate to crack the stock. :(

·
Registered
703 Posts
The stock recoil pad works just fine. But I have broken 2 decent quality popular brand scopes on this rifle. I don't load it too hot anymore because I would really hate to crack the stock. :(
If that's a scope killer I'd definitely avoid hot loading it.
That is a tad of a concern.:confused:
Is it a light rifle?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
My Marlin 45-70 mangled scopes, so I went to a Williams peep sight. That Marlin was way too light for even moderately hot loads. You need at least a 9 pound rifle with the gorilla loads:eek:. And speaking of split stocks, mine did start to split the rear stock. I repaired it with wood glue since it wasn't too bad. The 45-70 is not a cartridge to trifle with. I wonder how the original 70gr. black powder loads kicked. I wish I would have tried some.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts