Shooters Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Surely scopes last on the big Weatherbys and RUMs.
What sort of scopes were you using?
Were they dangerous game style scopes?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I had two cheapo ones. One was a Simmons 3-9x40 and I forget what the other was. I was afraid to get a nice piece of glass after it shook those scopes to pieces.
I'll have put out a little cash and get a good sturdy one for the 9.3, although I don't imagine the recoil will be nearly as bad.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
FWIW, my 9.3s with typical factory 285gr loads does feel about as stout as my #1 45-70 with LE or my 1895G witb 400gr @ 1800

I've never had an issue with Leupold scopes on any of my mediums or big bores including; 9.3x62, 9.3x74R, 444, 45-70 or .450M.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was going to say good as Simmons usually are they're not exactly premium quality. My 9.3x62 wears a Leupold VX-I 2-7x32 which is fine. And the T3 Lite Stainless is about 7lbs wringing wet. I'm confident it'll hold up fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If that's a scope killer I'd definitely avoid hot loading it.
That is a tad of a concern.:confused:
Is it a light rifle?
The No.1-S is a relatively light rifle. There's good reason that the No.1 Tropical's have heavy barrels.

Most any scope that gets continually hammered by heavy recoil will eventually almost inevitably break.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
9.3x62 Mauser - Yes Me:

I had a 9,3x62 built on that Vz-24 action. Used a 24" 1:12 Shilen barrel that tapers from 1.2" to 0.85" 6" from receiver, then to 0.70" at muzzle. Weighs in at 8 3/4 Lbs with that 4X scope. Had the rear action hump milled smooth so a rear scope base could be added using 2 screws like the front base. Then reblued the entire barrel and action. Added a new Timney trigger with the Timney safety so the original safety could be removed. Topped it with a Bushnell 4x scope using Weaver's quad rings. Had the original straight bolt removed and a custom bent bolt added. Also, had the bolt jeweled.

I did the stock work: Stripped it, steam pulled the dents, plugged the cleaning rod hole, reshaped the foreend, inleted the turned-down bolt, inleted safety, free-floated the barrel and glass bed the action. However, it shot better and felt more robust with a pressure point. So cut welded and refit the original top of the front sling swivel to the barrel contour and used electrical tape to build up a pressure point underneath it. Finished it with sanding, stain and 8 coats of satin polyurethane inside and out so its water proof.

Began my reload work-ups with 285 grain Prvi, then switched to 286 Nosler partitions. Here's a pic of them - The Prvi is on the left and the NPT on the right:

Got both going right at 2,400 fps at the muzzle using IMR-4320. Sighted-in at 150 yards, its 1.5" high at 100 yards and 3.5" low at 200 yards. Never shot anything but paper with the Prvi, as they were only used to work up reloads at $0.20 per shot verses the $0.80 cost of the NPTs. I've also worked up reloads using the 300 grain Swift-As but have not shot any game with them yet cause I haven't found the beast that can stop the 286 NPT!

Quickly became my favorite all around rifle - It's knocked over every deer and hog I've shot - And they don't get up! That NPT goes straight through from any angle so far through taking out all hide, muscle and bone along the way. Blood shot meat isn't a problem, however I do have to check close and clean for bone chips. I've yet to find a bullet but exit holes are all about 1.5" round. Its the only 100% DRT rifle I've own or have ever owned!

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's the bullet combination I just got for my new 9.3x74R Ruger No.1 - the way less costly 285gr PRVI RN for load development, and the 286gr Nosler Partition for hunting.

Sounds like the 286gr NP is the bullet of choice in the 9.3's. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Being a 35 Whelen shooter, I find it interesting that the 9.3 x 62 "standard" bullet weight is 286, and 300s and even 320s are available, while you can hardly find bullets for the Whelen over 250. It would take a .358 bullet of 274 grains to equal the SD of the 286 gr 9.3 mm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Probably due to the fact that most 35 Whelen factory rifles, such as the Remington 700, have slow 1-in-16" twist barrels which aren't made to stabilize bullets heavier than 250gr.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Being a 35 Whelen shooter, I find it interesting that the 9.3 x 62 "standard" bullet weight is 286, and 300s and even 320s are available, while you can hardly find bullets for the Whelen over 250.
It's the 1:16 twist that limits bullet weight. When Remington introduced the Whelen many years back, the morons lost the opportunity to release the new round based on the .280, and use a 1:10 or 1:12 twist. ??? Instead they went for the ammo market and scaled performance to run through the boneyard of ancient Mausers and Springfields.

Oh well, I'm sure few ever went to Africa anyway, and as bullets go, it's hard to top the current availability of conventional bullets. In my experience, the Hornady and Speer 250's are reliable at any range the Whelen shooter might attempt, and for those with a need to spend more money, the Nosler Partitions make up that difference. I have not bothered with the Barnes lead free stuff, mostly because the lead free thing runs against my grain. Politics.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I agree TMAn, there is nothing you would shoot with a 35 Whelen that a 250 Partition wouldn't work on, although a 300 would be nice going against brown bears in thick stuff.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Bit O' trivia... Barnes made an awesome .358 250 gr X bullet years ago. Barnes no longer catalogs them because the 1-16" barrels wouldn't reliably stabilize the long-for-weight projectile. The 1-14" Shilen barrel on my 35 AI stabilizes them as far as I can tell and shoots groups 1.1" @ 100 yds.

I am going to size some 286 gr 9.3 bullets down to .358 sometime in the near future and see how they work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Remington 7400 35 Whelen actually could stabilize the 250gr X bullet. It was a good performer on heavy game. Now I load 250gr Swift bullets in my 35 Whelen rifles (which all have 1-in-16" twist barrels).

·
Registered
703 Posts
The whole difference between the bullet weights, twist rates and cartridges reveals why the 35 Whelen was invented by an American for American hunters and 9.3x62 was conceived by a European designer as a working rifle for Africa. But that doesn't mean one or the other is better or worse than the other. Both are powerful and effective.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The whole difference between the bullet weights, twist rates and cartridges reveals why the 35 Whelen was invented by an American for American hunters and 9.3x62 was conceived by a European designer as a working rifle for Africa. But that doesn't mean one or the other is better or worse than the other. Both are powerful and effective.
Kombi tried to keep a straight face while writing that, but he knows which one reigns supreme:D.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Heck yeah!
Everyone knows that extra 8 thou makes a difference. :D

To be completely honest, I almost had a 35 Whelen built about 10 years back......but that was before I knew about the 9.3x62. ;)
And I do feel that the 9.3mm has it on dangerous game, purely on bullet weight and meplat.
But I can't argue with all of the successful guys here who use Whelens.
I'm just right, that's all. :p

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Having fallen so hard for the MGM Whelen barrel on my Encore, I checked their website for other options. They list the 375 H & H and 93 x 74, but not the 93 x 62. Anyone have any idea why 62 is excluded?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Both the 375 H & H and 93 x 74, headspace at the rear of the cartridge, ie Rimmed and belted. These cartridges were made for break open single shots. The 9.3x62 I a more modern cartridge designed for repeater bolt actions mauser style actions with staggered magazines. Rimmed cartridges work better in single shot, aka #1, T/C, etc.

my double rifles are for rimmed cartridges.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Probably the winning response on this thread.

I'd likely get a 9.3, if I hadn't zapped multiple elk with my Whelen, and watched them drop, in sight. If I hit the lottery, I'll grab a 9.3X62, legal in Africa, apparently.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't know that the 9.3 is legal in Africa... 375 and bigger is the legal minimum. Not sure where the claim the 9.3 was made for Africa comes from? Given that the 9.3 is still under the Africa minimum, seems like a really mis-Informed manufacturer did that on a bad day.

Since the Whelen wasn't designed for anything but big North American game, the 358 bullet made a whole lot of sense and seems to me more proper thought was put into that cartridge than the 9.3?

61 - 80 of 94 Posts