Shooters Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oelof,
You're welcome for the information.
While I don't think you'll have trouble getting your 9.3x62 to produce the 5400 joules that Namibian law says are required, I am very interested, as some others have mentioned, in how Namibian law is going to know what your rifle and handloads can do.
If you work up a load that bests the Nine-Three's factory performance numbers by enough to reach that goal, how will you prove it? Will the people who are in charge of this business in Namibia accept some proof you provide or just look up your cambering in some table they have and say "sorry, your rifle does not meet the standard."?
The only factory ammo I have chrono'ed in my Nine-Three is the Lapua 285 gr Mega and it only produced 2250 FPS from a 23" barrel (very accurate though!).
Are you confident it is acceptable to use handloads for hunting in Namibia and what can you tell us of the process by which you'd get your rifle/load combination "approved?"
Best of luck!
Rex

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oelof,
You're welcome for the information.
While I don't think you'll have trouble getting your 9.3x62 to produce the 5400 joules that Namibian law says are required, I am very interested, as some others have mentioned, in how Namibian law is going to know what your rifle and handloads can do.
If you work up a load that bests the Nine-Three's factory performance numbers by enough to reach that goal, how will you prove it? Will the people who are in charge of this business in Namibia accept some proof you provide or just look up your cambering in some table they have and say "sorry, your rifle does not meet the standard."?
The only factory ammo I have chrono'ed in my Nine-Three is the Lapua 285 gr Mega and it only produced 2250 FPS from a 23" barrel (very accurate though!).
Are you confident it is acceptable to use handloads for hunting in Namibia and what can you tell us of the process by which you'd get your rifle/load combination "approved?"
Best of luck!
Rex
Hi Rex.

My outfitter explained to me that my rifle won't get tested on arrival or before the hunt. The problem might come in if a dangerous game animal like buffalo is wounded and not found. If something like that happens there is always questions and an investigation. The outfitter will have to explain why he allowed me to use my 9.3x62 and I might have to shoot mynrifle through a chrono to prove that it meets the minimum requirement.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Rex.

My outfitter explained to me that my rifle won't get tested on arrival or before the hunt. The problem might come in if a dangerous game animal like buffalo is wounded and not found. If something like that happens there is always questions and an investigation. The outfitter will have to explain why he allowed me to use my 9.3x62 and I might have to shoot mynrifle through a chrono to prove that it meets the minimum requirement.
Well that makes perfect sense - I kind of like that approach. "As long as you don't goon it up, no problem." If the Buff falls dead, the observable metrics clearly indicate your rifle was enough. If he doesn't, be prepared to prove you at least met the minimums.
I wish more bureaucracies would work that way.
Good luck on the hunt and please share your handloading results here with us.

Rex

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi Rex.

Well that makes perfect sense - I kind of like that approach. "As long as you don't goon it up, no problem." If the Buff falls dead, the observable metrics clearly indicate your rifle was enough. If he doesn't, be prepared to prove you at least met the minimums.
I wish more bureaucracies would work that way.
Good luck on the hunt and please share your handloading results here with us.

Rex
Hi Rex.

Thanks bud. I will definitely share the results as soon as I can.

Regards,

Oelof

·
Registered
967 Posts
Here are some thoughts based on some experience. First off, your PH is going to be the one who decides if you can or cannot hunt buff with your gun. It has probably occurred, but I have never known or heard of anyone being checked by the government or "authorities" regarding their rifle meeting whatever their specifications are. Only if, as mentioned, things go south and someone is hurt will (might) there be some investigation. The first time I hunted Zimbabwe, a rather last minute snafu left me with a rifle that did not meet "specs". It was a .338 Win. Mag. I told the PH--by phone shortly before the trip--of the situation. He said to come on, we'd "sort it out", whatever that meant I didn't know. What I brought for the buff was 250 gr Barnes solids, loaded max. After the PH observed me target shoot a bit, then only after he observed my shooting performance on a couple of lesser beasts (different bullet, same gun), he simply said "let's go get nyati". The job was accomplished, no issues. The point is, the PH made the decision. He told me he was not as concerned about the size of the hole in the end of my barrel as he was about where I would make the hole in the animal. In our discussions, he allowed as he would much rather having a client with a somewhat undersized gun that he could shoot than a client with a bigger gun that he couldn't shoot. I shot another buff in Burkino Faso (no specifications) with an even smaller caliber wildcat, though because of additional velocity, equal energy, as the .338. Again, no issues--and this one was at what is looong range for buff--175 yards. The point in these long stories is that really the buff is not nearly as tough as many a magazine writer would have you believe. Oh, he's no wimp, and if POed, he is quite unfriendly, but unless you screw up the shot, i.e. shoot poorly, a .375 or more is not needed, and if you do screw it up, the extra energy won't help correct a poor shot anyway. So, let your PH decide, and he'll either say "no way" before you arrive (then you'll know) or he'll say "we'll see"--meaning he is going to evaluate you "in action". After all, he is the one who really has his butt on the line if things go afoul. So listen to what he says and accept it, whatever it is.
As a side, I would rather face a wounded, POed buff than I would a wounded POed coastal Brown bear, and there are no official cartridge restrictions to hunt them. Most outfitters there will be happy to see a .338 Mag--they may like a .375 better, but they know a .338 will get the job done, and your 9.3 x 62 has more horsepower than a .338.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ive shoot a number of Cape Buffalo with the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x64, preferring the 9.3x62...My pet loads were the 286 Woodleigh or Nosler partition with 64 grs of RL-17 for 2575 FPS, definatly a max load but fine in my rifle even in the heat of Afroica...I also liked the 320 gr. Woodleigh, with 59 grs. of RL-17 for near 2400 fps in my gun..My gun had a 26 inch barrel and it got a bit more velocity. I never could tell any difference in the killing effect of the 93s and the 375 H&H..H414 was another good powder..MOst folks consider the 9.3x62 minimum buffalo medicine, but most that say such have probably never used it..Its plenty IMO, and yest their are better calibers I suppose, but all things considered the 9.3x62 is hard to beat, low recoil, light weight rifle, enough to get the job done, and I get fed up with the word "stopper" as to calibers, a stopper holds water in the tub, on buffalo its a spine or brain shot..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi everyone,

So just a quick update, I was able to get my rifle to shoot 286gr Woodleigh Hydros at 2515fps using 65gr RL-17. I am planning to load a few 286gr Swift A-Frame's to test this weekend. Goal is also to reach around 2500fps.

I will be using the A-frames for the initial first shot and the Hydros for follow up shots.

Regards,

Oelof

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,800 Posts
How do the different bullets print compared to POA? That would be my main concern.

RJ

Reactions: kdub

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oelof,
Those speeds and groups look very nice. I hope both bullets print to the same POI. But I bet you will not need the second shot!
Best of luck and keep us posted on your results,
Rex

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks guys. Hopefully the POI will be close each other. Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi guys.

So the POI is virtually the same. And the swift A-Frames have a average valocity of 2535fps.

Ready for that buff!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
deer hunting for 65+ starts this week. got to decide if I'll hunt my 9.3 Cz or my Kimber 260 super light weight. present thought is the 9.3 FS with 286, and take double shoulder shots only. But 5.5 pounds of Kimber keeps talking to me.

We will look forward to you report.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ive shoot a number of Cape Buffalo with the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x64, preferring the 9.3x62...My pet loads were the 286 Woodleigh or Nosler partition with 64 grs of RL-17 for 2575 FPS, definatly a max load but fine in my rifle even in the heat of Afroica...I also liked the 320 gr. Woodleigh, with 59 grs. of RL-17 for near 2400 fps in my gun..My gun had a 26 inch barrel and it got a bit more velocity. I never could tell any difference in the killing effect of the 93s and the 375 H&H..H414 was another good powder..MOst folks consider the 9.3x62 minimum buffalo medicine, but most that say such have probably never used it..Its plenty IMO, and yest their are better calibers I suppose, but all things considered the 9.3x62 is hard to beat, low recoil, light weight rifle, enough to get the job done, and I get fed up with the word "stopper" as to calibers, a stopper holds water in the tub, on buffalo its a spine or brain shot..
"on buffalo its a spine or brain shot.."

Interesting, indeed,... this has been my MO for everything I ever hunted, all my life,... from rabbit to bear. Very good advice, imo!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Interestingly my load is also 64gr of RL-17. I get a bit less valocity due to the shorter barrel. I have tested the load on a hot day here in Africa. Had no issues.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts