Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on tikka's web site the other day and came across a t3 hunter chambered in 9.3x62. It was wood with stainless barrel. I cant seem to find this gun for sale anywhere and some of my local shops are telling me it doesnt exist. Well its on there site. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have one. My favourite caliber too. 9.3x62 very popular in Europe and Africe but just starting to gain a following in the US. Bacially think of a 35 whelen but better (bigger heavier bullet going faster). Doesn't kick like a mule either just a long firm shove.
Tikka do the T3 Sako does it CZ certianly do it ( they have a new synthetic stock 550 just out for this caliber. Most if not all european rifle makers offer guns in this caliber . It's been around since 1905.
Lapua, S&B, Hornady,Norma, Highland plus others offer loaded ammo for it.
I suspect if you want the Tikka it would be a special order likely a Sako too I suspect. I would be pretty sure CZ has serveral options availible in stock ( they have a lovely full stock CZ550fs).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was looking at this cartridge too. Tikka has a 1-14 twist I think, the Cz has a 1-10 twist. I don't know much about this cartridge and the rate of twist needed for heaveir bullets. I have not yet tried to order either one and don't know if they are available. I know it is getting harder to find some European cartridges from Tikka lately. It seems to fall between the 35 Whelen and the 375 H&H.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I have one. My favourite caliber too. 9.3x62 very popular in Europe and Africe but just starting to gain a following in the US. Bacially think of a 35 whelen but better (bigger heavier bullet going faster). Doesn't kick like a mule either just a long firm shove.
I work for a Swedish based business, and they love to go hunting. I spend 2-4 weeks a year in Sweden. Tikka's are very popular there, and the 9.3X62 is a serious elk (moose in NA) round. I've had the opportunity to shoot a couple of 9.3X62's over the years, I own two Whelen's. In rifles of similar weight they kick about the same, the 30gr of bullet weight difference is undetectable, and the .3mm of diameter is irrelevant. The 286gr bullet travels a bit slower that a 250gr bullet from a Whelen. A 7lb 9.3 or .35 Whelen has a recoil level in the same class as a 9lb .375 H&H, of which I've owned two over many years.

I love my Whelen's. But if the 9.3 had been available a few years back when I bought my 7600/Whelen for elk, it would have been a real tough choice.

The Tikka in 9.3X62 is a really fine choice for a guy that wants a powerful medium bore with lots of power for larger game.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
I've got a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 and it's a great rifle, IMO. Mine is an excellent shooter too giving me groups even better than the 1.5 " @ 100 yds that my 550 FS in 6.5x55 gives me. I've shot a .35 Whelen for over 10 yrs now and it's a huge favorite of mine, so this slightly larger bore size was a no brainer for me. No animals taken with mine yet however. I am however rethinking the nice little 8 I let walk earlier this season in Kentucky when I had it in my hands. Heck, even had the Z-plex settled in the proper place...lol. I should have taken him as a first animal for that CZ. Not as bright as I oughtta be...lol.:eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tikka is a 1-14 twist. I'm very interested in this gun. I have a t3 in 3006 and and is a sub moa rifle. Very smooth action and a great trigger. I also own a 7600 35 whelen and a 375 ruger. This seems like a cool inbetween rifle. The cz is a fine choice, I have a 550 in 458 lott and its a really nice rifle. Any ideas on the going price for the tikka in 9.3? I payed $590 for my stainless t3 lite. Curious if it will be the same. I'm definetly liking the wood and stainless mix. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to update. Went to the gun shop today and found out that this particular gun/caliber setup is not available in the US. That sucks. Thanks for being a tease sako.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
I was looking at this cartridge too. Tikka has a 1-14 twist I think, the Cz has a 1-10 twist. I don't know much about this cartridge and the rate of twist needed for heaveir bullets. ......
I rebarrel this old Vz-24 with a 9,3x62 Shillen barrel some years ago:

Before choosing the barrel twist, I ran the Greenhill numbers on my two bullet choices: 1) 286 gr NPT - 1.38" long and 2) 300 gr Swift "A" - 1.32" long. It figured a twist of 1-14.6 or lower (i.e. faster) would stabilize either bullet.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
PS: I have found over the years that if you will stay around 5 degree rifling helix-twist, that it is good for most any caliber from .223 to .458.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts