Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
9.3x62mm Mauser

Englander,

I have been a 9.3x62mm, user/shooter for 25 years, starting with a Mannlicher-Schoenauer, and wandering thru Steyr-Mannlichers, Steyr SBS-96, and a custom mauser. Unfortunately, have taken no game with it, since I figure that 3500-4000 foot-pounds of energy is entirely too much for US style deer. I usually use 6.5mm and 7mm deer rifles.

In the USA I have found ample quantities of Norma, RWS and now Lapua brass starting in the early 1990s and right up until now (7/2003) The supply of suitable bullets has grown rapidly, from only Norma 232 and 286 grain bullets and the 270 grain Speer to a real collection of bullets from Swift, Barnes, Nosler, Speer, Norma, Lapua, and RWS. I have seen no cast bullets, although Lyman has offered such bullet molds. I am still looking for the perfect bullet. I thought the Norma 232 grain hollow point was it, but that slug has proven just too hard to find, I have even snapped up Norma 9.3x57mm just to pull the 232 grain bullets from them.

At the moment I am starting a work up for a safari in 2004, wherein I will use only 9.3x62mm rifles, a la Africa in 1912, so a year from now I expect to have some real life experience to relate.

·
Banned
181 Posts
gutshot_again said:
llsierra - if you still have the 9.3x57 brass would you consider trading it for some 300 grain cast and/or 270 grain grain? Wide flat meplat with gas check and lubed with HVR - or if you would prefer just the bullets as they drop from the mould? Thanks

Hi,
Thanks for the offer, but I do not use either item in my 9.3s. I still have the brass, and you can still buy the brass, often at a good price, from Graf& Sons and Wideners, both in Missouri.
Larry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts