Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks i'm new to this and new to the older mil guns other than a 30 carbine i recently bought a 1891/30 762x54r. i bought a scope,mount and rings in a package deal on ebay. I shot it today and once sighted in i shot a 1.5" group at 100 yards. I was using winchester 180 grain soft nose. I think it did well for a 1943 rifle.
My question is do you think there is something more i can do to get it shooting tighter groups .

Beaveradict

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
One of the best, and easiest, things to do is improve the trigger. Sear engagement can be carefully polished -- VERY carefully without changing the angles -- and a thin shim installed under the sear spring. This can result in a dramatically better trigger.

Other than that, and barring extensive modifications, the best thing to do is try as many different loads as possible. But then, 1.5" groups, right off the bat, are nothing to sneer at!

·
Registered
291 Posts

I used steel wool and a brush to polish trigger engagement surfaces. Graphite lock lubricant. And I used a trimmed pop can tab placed between the receiver and triggerspring around the triggerspring screw. The tab will decrease sear engagement and greatly reduce trigger travel.

I free-floated the barrel on my '43 tula using deep sockets wrapped in sandpaper, gradually working my way up in size. To float the handguard, I pushed wire nails into the stock so that the handguard would sit atop them and allow greater clearance as well. I would consider an action bedding as well, but I am going to need to get it drilled for a scope base before I try getting any more out of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info. The scope mount i have big z doesn't require drilling and taping it replaces the rear leaf sight and spring you also don't have to turn down your bolt. Looks a little odd but it seems to get the job done. This weekend i plan to do some more shooting and experiment with deferent bullets to see what does the best.I'm going to my local gun shop to see what surplus ammo they offer i know they sell cans 440 but not sure of the make or makes they carry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
timiny now makes a trigger for the mosin and so does huber.ive got mine pillar beded in an ATI stock.also for a good bent bolt body and a real scope mount check out www.rocksolidind.com got mine down to .75 moa at 100 yrds.they be fun and cheap to shoot.and cheep to reload.also check out the above site for pillar bedding stuff too

Inappropiate link - link edited.

kdub- Moderator

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
LazyDog,

You might want to edit your post. Since you didn't put a space between that website name and the next sentence, it is treating it as part of the URL.

Uh, check that...your link for gun parts goes to a home-school supplies website? Sheesh.

·
Registered
977 Posts
> The scope mount i have big z doesn't require drilling and taping it replaces the rear leaf sight

What brand and model, I might want one for mine too. Actually, if I like mine enough, I might buy another of these bolt guns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts