Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1894-1994 Centenial Trapper in 44mag. I think the front sight is wrong. It needs the rear sight up all the way to hit at 100yd with factory WW 240s. Sugestions ??... what is the correct front sight height for 44 mag on a trapper? Mine has no bead and does not look like its been ground off.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

My measurements are not super accurate because I will not remove the sight just to measure it. What my mike reads is .495-.500. The sight should be a square post type as trappers didn't have beaded front sights. How does it shoot at closer ranges? Like 50 yards? Remember, it's a pistol cartridge not a varmint rifle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 357. trapper had a .450 front sight. And my 30-30 trapper has a .500 front sight. don`t know why the diff. but they both shoot well.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'd measure the fron sight height. Then order a fir bea front sight on size higher. that will bring the rear down some; maybe even two sizes higher, depending where it is sighted in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put peep sights on both rifles, The 357. with .450 front sight shot high enough i couldn`t be sighted in. I put a .500 tall front sight on it and it sighted in fine. The 30-30 trapper I have came with a .500 front sight and is good with no changes. the 30-30 wears a williams peep, And the .357 wears a ashley peep. hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I got a 1894-1994 Centenial Trapper in 44mag. I think the front sight is wrong. It needs the rear sight up all the way to hit at 100yd with factory WW 240s. Sugestions ??... what is the correct front sight height for 44 mag on a trapper? Mine has no bead and does not look like its been ground off.

If it was MY rifle, I'd take it to the 100yd range with a metal scribe and a file.

Since it's already shooting too low with the rear sight all the way "up", I'd:

1) Lower the rear sight to a middle height.

2) Scribe a line on the front sight at least 1/10" below & parallel to the top of the front sight blade

3) File the existing front sight blade down the 1/10" to the scribe mark

4) Re-target/zero the rifle, to see if more materiel needs to be filed off the top of the front sight blase (keeping in mind the already lowered rear sight].

5) Repeat 2, 3, & 4 above, as req'd.

6) Apply cold blue atop the front sight after all is done, to camo the alteration.

Once the rifle zeroes with the rear sight in the middle of it's vertical adjustment range, the sights will have sufficient remaining adjustment for changing to a differet bullet weight or one with a different POI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts