Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although I have several handguns, I only have one Shotgun and a bolt action 22 in my long gun stable.
In the last two years, I have spent my monthly hobby money on aquiring some custom knives, and fresh ammo for my present collection. THIS year, I am going to use it for firearms.
Back in the early 80's, I was an avid gun nut. I had several nice long guns including an AR-15. I was reloading several calibers and firing around 25,000 rounds a year (largely, 22's) for about 4 years. I had a friend with a home based gunshop in PA (we cast and reloaded MANY rounds in his basement shop!), and he owned a large farm/orchard. We had built a firing range out to 100 yrds. Bench and little shop on site. Very nice. Anyway, I was into 38/357 handguns for a couple of years. I had purchased a Marlin 357 lever gun and mainly used it for plinking around. I don't believe I would have used it for anything bigger than a chuck, and never tried. In my last year there, I moved up to 44mag. When I left PA, I no longer had the availability (and prices!) or a decent place to shoot, so I shed my casting station and other reloading stuff, and most of my long guns. About 10 years ago, I added BACK two 357's and a 38 to my handgun collection. 5-22 autos, 2 S&W 66's, a S&W Model 10 in 5" HB, and 2 S&W 629's. Like an idiot, I sold my Colt Anaconda to my son in law in 2003. I like S&W as I have done 100's of action jobs. I attended a S&W gun smith course one summer in the late 70's, and learned the tuning and timing of j, k, and n frame revolvers. There were a dozen local Pol Depts using my work at the time.

So, OK NOW I am going to add a couple of lever guns to my set. A 44mag and a .22.

So, I started looking right before Xmas. I found a Winchester 94AE (crossbolt) with 16", saddle ring, and a large loop. Although I bought it from an auction (Gunbrokers) the location was actually just 16 miles from me, so I just picked it up today (and the owner did not charge me TAX or fees).

Now my question, I paid $455.00 for this weapon. The ONLY blemish is a small pin sized ding in the stock. There's no wear/scratches anywhere. In fact if the rifle has been fired more than 6-8 times I would be surprised. BUT, was it worth the price?

In Feb, I am getting a 22 lever. Probably a Marlin, unless I can find a Winchester cheap enough.
Then in March, I want a S&W 22 revolver. I don't have a 22 revolver and want to get one. MAYBE a decent Colt Diamondback in 22 will do. Had one (nickel) in 1987-88, but, again passed it on.
Why levers and revolvers?
I don't trust the Obama Admin, or the Liberal Congress. Assault Weapon ban, UN Small Arms treaty, etc, although just a beginning, targets semi autos and pump shotguns first. I am sure that bolts, levers, and revolvers are next, but they will be later in the process.
And I don't know if you guys noticed, we BARELY dodged a bullet on even POCKET KNIVES! Assisted opening first, but eventually ALL of them! See CA laws for what we can expect in these areas. Anyway, luckily the Congress passed a Law to prevent Customs from outlawing pocket knives, but for how long.....?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would say that you purchased at a correct current price. Could sell it any day for that or more.
Was in the local pawn shop the other day. Thay had a real nice Win22 lever with scope. Thought about getting it but i have too many now and mostly only shoot my Browning 22 auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I probably paid the midrange price. I have seen a couple of NIB's for sale and one was 899 and the other was 949. As good of shape this one is in for used, I think the 465 was OK.
If I can find a used Marlin or Winchester 22 lever for about 500 in good shape locally, I'll pick it up in Feb.
I would like a S&W 22 revolver, but WOW, they are pricy, even used!
I am talking with an acquaintance that has a Kimber Ultra Carry II he MAY sell for 700.00. Although it's not on my list, I have owned several Colts in 45 acp. He said he would give me a couple of months heads up on it if he sold it.
I had a Colt Commander in Electro Nickel (factory) in the early 80's. That and my Anaconda and Diamondback 22 in Electro (satin) are my biggest regrets in selling guns. Like a lot of Cars I had in the early 70's, who knew?
Anyway, I am going to start being active in looking next week. Gun shows, pawn shops, etc.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

A good buy on the 44, I had a like new one that I sold for $600 last fall. In the 22 lever action group, I would buy the Marlin 39A. I have both Winchester 9422 and the Marlin 39A and enjoy shooting both but the 39A is the one I like best. It's more accurate and holds more steady when shooting offhand. They are easier to find and cost a bit less.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I picked up one just like that in either 2004 or 2005 for $300. $450 is probably about the best you are likely to find in today's market unless you just get tremendously lucky. Mine will stabalize the Lee 310 grain RNFP but will not feed it if it is seated ti the upper crimp groove. It shoots the Lyman 255 grain Keith semi wad cutter very well and the RCBS 200 grain RNFP very well also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a real fan of the Winchester 94 in 44 mag.They are a great all around gun . Here is a picture of my newest 44

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After waiting FOUR days to get cleared by the FBI (must be the security deal going on right now) I actually get to pic it up, tomorrow. When I paid for it Monday, the dealer only charged me 450 instead of the 465. And NO tax! He said he wouldn't charge an an out of stater tax, so wasn't gonna me.
I did get a chance to look it over Monday and the condition is even better than the pics on the ad.
It has the cross bolt safety, so I ASSUME it was made in the mid 90's.
I am pleased. I am looking for a 44 mag revolver, maybe a Ruger Redhawk (not a Super), or even a Blackhawk as the purpose is to have rifle and handgun same caliber, just in case. It seems these guns are in my budget price range, but a decent S&W 929 or even a 29 just isn't. But, I may get lucky in my wonderings and will make sure I have the cash, just in case.
I just received 5 boxes (of 20) of Leverolutions. I already had 110 44 spls, various bullets, and about thirty 44mag JHP.
But, you can never have too much ammo.
Then I go for a 22 in lever and revolver. I have 6 22 handguns, now, but only one a revolver. It's a NAA mini. The rest are semi autos.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You might want to look at a Browning BL22. They are really nice 22 levers. Construction is excellent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might want to look at a Browning BL22. They are really nice 22 levers. Construction is excellent.
Yes, and are beautiful guns, too. I believe that with my budget (about 500.00), any of the 22 levers will be hard to find in good shape, used. And new is right out. The Henry can be had new for around 300. But I am not sure the materials in the new Henrys are heirloom Quality. They may take some use, but I want guns to pass down a few generations IF the Feds will allow it!
If anyone has any experience with Henry 22 levers, please let us know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Brownings are listed on GunBroker NIB for anywhere from $450 to $550.
I'd probably let mine go if interested and it's NIB as well

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't have pics but if you look on their website, it's going to be exactly the same. As i said it's NIB, never opened. Model is 24100103 grade I. 22 short, long, long rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts