Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting my new Ruger SR9 for about a month now. Have reloaded 115 gr Berry's Plated bullets and 125 gr lead bullets.

The gun shoots the Berry's Plated flawlessly, over 750 rounds fired without a jam of any kind.

The lead bullets are a different story. The gun jams approximately one out of every 20 bullets fired.

Lead bullets are cheaper but the jams make the cost not mean anything to me.

Dunno if making the lead round a little hotter will help or if I should not use lead bullets anymore.

I'd like to hear comments on your experiences with lead bullets in your 9mm. Thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,275 Posts
Jams how? Failure to feed, stovepipe on ejection, double feed, ?????? Lots of different ways to jam a semi-auto......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes after being shot the spent round will still be in the horizontal position, not quite making it out the ejector. Sometimes the ejected round will stovepipe.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It might be the load. I,ve shot hundreds of Miester 115 lrn in my Ruger p89 at velocities from 1000fps to near 1200fps and I've never had a stovepipe , jam, or failure to feed. Make sure your mag is clean--- does it happen with multiple mags? The only time I had stovepipes it was the mags fault. (not Ruger mag) cheap aftermarket!:mad:

·
Banned
327 Posts
I agree. What loads are you using for the plated and for the lead bullets?

·
Registered
788 Posts
It sounds like your cast loads are loaded to a different velocity level than your jacketed loads. From your description, the slide is not always going back far enough to eject the case, or not far enough (and fast enough) to kick it free. Hence, it is sitting on top, or stovepipes when the slide comes forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts