Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bullet weight is most commonly recommended for the 9mm for various competitions as well as for self-defense? I have a SIG 229 that it will be used in.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
A lot of competition guys will use the 147 grain bullets, because it reduces muzzle flip and the velocity is a lot lower than the 115/124 varieties. Self Defense bullets like the Speer Gold Dot, Federal HydraShok and HST, and Remington Golden Sabre come in various weights, you'll just have to try them and see what is accurate in your gun.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Defence situations usually shoot 115g JHP where a high speed rapid expansion type projectile is preferred.

Competition in any brand 9mm would mostly use 125 grain lead projectiles, for a high percentage feed the RN would be the choice allowing near 100% feed.

I say near 100% because no matter the brand, type, or quality, every semi-automatic pistol will jam at sometime in their life, usually in competition when time forbids enough time in clearing the jam and finishing.

For defence you have that bullet choice where a Jacketed round nose would be near garanteed to feed in most all situations where a Jacketed hollow point like an XTP by their very design will be near garanteed to jam sometimes, either was an intruder will not know much difference to what bullet type has just shot him / her.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I am partial to the 135 and 147 gr loads. Having shot 1000's of rounds of 9mm during my police career and during matches, the heavier bullets produce less felt recoil as Matt said. When shooting metal plates, the heavier bullets are a lot more consistant in knocking them over on the first shot. A 147 gr load at 950 fps is equivilant to a 38 Special + P load. You will have to try several loads to find which one you like.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
This question is certainly one that you will get several different answers for when you talk about bullet weights. My wife carried the 115 weight in her Glock 9mm Luger. It was because she could NOT get the Power R Ball ammo in the 125 weight at the time.

Now talking to one of several policeman who work for a friend of mine, who owns a shooting range, they all like the 125 grain bullet in the self-defense loads. Those who shoot steel plates like the heavier bullet for knocking them down etc. They all will work but "self-defense" I like the 125 grain bullet.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
For defence you have that bullet choice where a Jacketed round nose would be near garanteed to feed in most all situations where a Jacketed hollow point like an XTP by their very design will be near garanteed to jam sometimes, either was an intruder will not know much difference to what bullet type has just shot him / her.

Not so true anymore. Nearly any 9MM worth a **** will feed good HP like the XTP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts