Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,431 Posts
I'm guessing you're figuring to get to .357 6" barrel velocities with the long barrel, and you'd be in the ballpark. I'd be comfortable with that for a survival tool, but I don't think I would want to count on it to keep me from having to track a deer a long way. Same as with the .357, I'd want to get very close.

Also, check your state hunting laws. Many have minimum chambering requirements that may not make.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I know that 16 inch is too long for the 9mm round, the bullet with a factory load will start slowing down in that length of barrel.

I shoot 357 Mag and 357 MAX out of a Super 14 Contender, it shoots well, but I reload my own for those barrels.

In most states that allow straight walled handgun cartridges, the 9mm is not on the approved list.

Jerry

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
In a word, "No". The minimum requirement for hunting deer with a pistol in Indiana specifies a cartridge case length of no less than 1.16 and no greater than 1.625 inches. The 9mm Parabellum is too short to be legal.

May I ask why you would want to use such a tiny cartridge for deer hunting when there are so many other rounds that are appropriately powered?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Pushin' It

Why oh why, even come that close to the "animal deserves better" thang. IMO the 9mm will not even come close to the 357mag. It will only produce about another 30-50fps over the published velocities of the round outta a pistol. A fairly hot loaded 147gr,well made bullet, would be mandatory also.

I also am "doubtful" of the 9mm "slowing down" going thru 16 inches of bbl but I have no published data to back up that thought. I own a Beretta CX4 Storm chambered in .45ACP. I shoot the 230gr Hornady XTP factory load outta it for extremely close range hogs. The published velocity from Hornady is 950fps and I have chrono'ed it at just under 1000fps outta the 16 inches of bbl. (The weapon is blowback operated.)

I do not pretend that this .45ACP load is overpowering on the smallish hogs that I hunt on the edge of the river swamp. But,this round has completely penetrated all the hogs that it had encountered. I even put it completely thru a big ol' pine barren sow that I called in and shot at 30yds.

Sooooo......IMO a .357mag shooting a wide meplate hardcast,stoutly loaded,leaving 16 inches of bbl,is a completely adaquate close range deer gun.....any 9mm....well......??? -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
174 Posts
Would this be an ok caliber for deer with the approiate load and if so any ideas what the approiate load would be ? Thanks.
First of all. What species of deer? Blacktail? OK, Whitetail? Maybe, Mulie? No Way!

This would be the ammo I would use if your weapon can handle it. IT IS HOT!!!
"9mm Israeli +P+ 115 FMJ Ball, in 25 rd boxes, 1000- $199.99, in ammo can For Sub Machine Guns"

You get it here:
http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,672 Posts
Most 9mm ammo won't gain much in a rifle barrel. This info from testing done in one of the "Gun Digest" books, years ago.

I have used a snubbie .357 to dispatch deer at very short range. Measured ballistics were 125gr. bullet at about 1200fps. Did surprisingly well, but as Nick says, more of a survival weapon, than a hunting weapon.

·
Registered
676 Posts
This would be the ammo I would use if your weapon can handle it. IT IS HOT!!!
"9mm Israeli +P+ 115 FMJ Ball, in 25 rd boxes, 1000- $199.99, in ammo can For Sub Machine Guns"
I do not know of any state that allows the use of FMJ ammo for hunting, especially in centerfire calibers. Bad advice.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
No-----None

No state that I know of will allow any FMJ for deer. Amazeingly,Florida does allow it for hogs. (HUH ??)------pruhdlr

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Hmm miestero i dont wanna be a Richard (nickname) but look at this your right it does slow down with some ammo but it also gaines speed with some and from my research correct me if im wrong but a 16in barreled 9mm has the slight upperhand over a 357 mag with certain loads.http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html
Soontobe (informed?)

When you look at ballistics, for any round, you've got to compare apples-to-apples. Finding the smallest bullet out of the longest barrel in the 9mm and using that to say it it has "the slight upperhand" against the 357mag is, quite frankly, showing that you have a great deal of learning to do, when it comes to external ballistics.

When comparing these two rounds, the 357Mag pushes a 158gr bullet out of a 16" barrel at 1739fps. The 9mm pushes a 147 grain bullet out of a 16" barrel at 1073fps. The 9mm has almost exactly HALF AS MUCH ENERGY. The 357 Magnum is widely considered the smallest handgun cartridge one might expect to consistently, and humanely, dispatch deer and that is if you keep the shots to little more than 100 yards. The 9mm is simply a terrible choice to use, for hunting.

In an emergency situation, at ranges of perhaps 100 FEET, you might press a 9mm into service for killing a small deer, but to select that cartridge, intentionally, shows poor judgment and less than proper respect for the big game animal you're hunting.

That is only my opinion, but it is one shared by many experienced shooters/hunters.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually i did the corbon 125gr JHP load for comparin i know exactly what you mean thats why i chose an 125gr corbon load for each round i looked one in 357mag from 4in barrel and one 9mm from a 16in barrell im trying to say that out of a 16in barrel SOME 9mm loads have same or more energy than the competing 357 loads in a 4in barrel i said nothing about 16in 357mag please do not insult my inteligince i will try to be civil if you will but im not a genious but i do know what im talking about on some things.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Soontobe (informed?)

The 357 Magnum is widely considered the smallest handgun cartridge one might expect to consistently, and humanely, dispatch deer and that is if you keep the shots to little more than 100 yards. The 9mm is simply a terrible choice to use, for hunting.

In an emergency situation, at ranges of perhaps 100 FEET, you might press a 9mm into service for killing a small deer, but to select that cartridge, intentionally, shows poor judgment and less than proper respect for the big game animal you're hunting.

Yet many recommend the 9mm as a defensive round against a 2 legged attacker that may be heavily clothed and wiegh 200 to 300 pounds yet most realize that the round is marginal for 150 pound Whitetail.. Has anyone else noticed this polar opposite recommendation of the 9mm

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, just bring you up to speed on conventional wisdom. When you ask questions you should be prepared to get honest answers...even if those answers are not what you were hoping to hear. The 9mm is a good target shooting cartridge and a "decent" self-defense load, but as a hunting cartridge, it leaves a great deal to be desired. There are many choices that will serve you better, but if you can find a place where it's legal, give it a shot.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Yet many recommend the 9mm as a defensive round against a 2 legged attacker that may be heavily clothed and wiegh 200 to 300 pounds yet most realize that the round is marginal for 150 pound Whitetail.. Has anyone else noticed this polar opposite recommendation of the 9mm
I think the most redeeming quality of the 9mm is that virtually anyone, man or woman, can learn to shoot it very well. Other than doing a lot of fun shooting and practicing my form, I have little use for it. I don't think it's a good self-defense load and the numbers suggest it would be even less effective when used to hunt deer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know i wasnt expecting eather our answer but would you be comftorable taking a 150 whitetail with a 357 magnum 125gr JHP from a 4in barrelled revolver.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And i truly have plenty of other options and i didnt care if it couldnt take one i got pissed about your Smart A s s comment about me having much to learn even though the data i presented if you understood what i was saying made sense.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, just bring you up to speed on conventional wisdom. When you ask questions you should be prepared to get honest answers...even if those answers are not what you were hoping to hear. The 9mm is a good target shooting cartridge and a "decent" self-defense load, but as a hunting cartridge, it leaves a great deal to be desired. There are many choices that will serve you better, but if you can find a place where it's legal, give it a shot.

If it is a good self defense cartridge than why will it not take a Deer just fine??

I am not a 9mm fan at all, just curious

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.