Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,375 Posts
Most 9mm ammo won't gain much in a rifle barrel. This info from testing done in one of the "Gun Digest" books, years ago.

I have used a snubbie .357 to dispatch deer at very short range. Measured ballistics were 125gr. bullet at about 1200fps. Did surprisingly well, but as Nick says, more of a survival weapon, than a hunting weapon.

·
38,375 Posts
You know i wasnt expecting eather our answer but would you be comftorable taking a 150 whitetail with a 357 magnum 125gr JHP from a 4in barrelled revolver.
At very short range, yes, as I know from experience that the 125gr. Cor-Bon load will go through a deer's rib cage, or neck, and expand in both. Because I have literally tested that load on deer in that weight range.

Having said that, I'd use Marshall's 160gr. FNBB as it can (barely) fit in a 9mm case, and gives a little more penetration. Basically a high-capacity .38 special at that point.

Last comment, you all need to settle down. Stop lecturing each other..... If you don't have something civil to say, don't say anything at all.

·
38,375 Posts
I forgot, I know of a guy who put a round from a .357 Sig through not one but two hogs (didn't mean to). Anyway they were not real large, but the little calibers can do amazing things with the right bullet. Pretty sure he used Gold Dots.

Anyway.... think of it as "bowhunting with your pistol." Get close, and put it through the ribs. That will kill a deer. Want to shoot through both shoulders reliably? Get a .44 mag, one opinion.....

And yes, the Beartooth 160gr. bullet can go over 900fps in the 9mm case, easily. Use Federal brass and Blue Dot powder, work up for your gun.

·
38,375 Posts
Yes it is. I have witnessed jacketed hollow points failing to penetrate through bone, and then I have seen other bullets do exactly what I wanted. You never know till you try.

Thank goodness for readily available testing mediums (pigs!) :D

·
38,375 Posts
I put a 200gr cast bullet from a .40 S&W through both shoulders of a pretty good sized pig. I don't know why anyone would say that would be inadequate for deer, save for range considerations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.