Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall,
I remember reading one of your posts on the old forum mentioning a 160 gr 9mm load at 1050 fps using federal brass. You also mentioned that you didn't want to post that hot load. Anything I can do to convince you to pass on that info? How about a safe starting load and I can work up to it on my own. I'm shooting a FN Browning Hi-Power, that I just had rebuilt by a trusted smith, he assures me that it is better than new.
Thanks,
Mark

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
Mark,

I did some of this too with the 160 gr. FNBB and will tell you what I came up with.

Yes do use the Federal brass if you can.  It will solve problems.  Seating depth is critical.  I had to stay about 1.040" which is quite a bit short of max and so my loads are probably lighter that what might be achieved with a longer OAL.  There is quite a fine balance at this OAL between seating deep enough and bulging the case at the bullet base where it won't chamber.

I used Blue Dot and forget if it was Winchester or Federal STANDARD small pistol primers.  I started about 3.5 grains, which would cycle the test gun (Sig P226), and worked up to 4.8 gr. which gave just under 900 fps and a 1" 5-shot group at 25 yards.  Of course I don't have a clue what pressure this is at but seemed OK.

If you can load to a longer OAL say 1.150" or so then I'd speculate that 1,000 fps may be attainable.  You can read a little more about this little adventure on http://www.realguns.com in the 'Feature Writer' section.  Post questions if you have them.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Mike's Post here is well put, and his article on Realguns.com is well laid out, and gives some good info on the subject.

I'm very hesitant to give my full throttle loads, due to the extremes of 9mm strength guns on the market.  Suffice it to say, that the 1.150" C.O.L. loading with Blue Dot, using the data Mike has prudently and cautiously worked up at a shorter C.O.L., then working up in 0.1g increments, it is no real challenge to get 1000+ fps from a strong design 9mm auto-loader!  Accuracy has always been first rate with these guns and this load.  

Due pay attention though, it is with the LBT design bullets with the FN or (WFN as it is called in the larger calibers) nose profile, NOT SWC's!  Also, most bullets sold for the 9mm's are .355", or .356".   It has been a LONG time since I've seen a 9mm with barrel groove dimensions that small!  Most run .3575" on the minimum to as large as .359" depending upon manufacturer.   Generally I would recommend no smaller than .357" bullets for this little task with the 9mm.

Sorry for not being more specific on loads here, but the  variations in the guns for this cartridge and their sometimes finicky nature on C.O.L. will cause great fluctuations in pressure!  Please, using Mike's posted load, work up cautiously from there!

Good Shootin' and God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise. When I slugged the barrel on my Browning I came up with .3575. I'm assuming my micrometer is still accurate, I've had it since I quit working in a machine shop in 1975 and I purchased 'used' then.
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts