Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<style></style>Hi all

I am loading 115 gr Missouri LRN bullets for my 9mm Beretta 92fs from Mountain Competetion Pistols. The bullets don't want to chamber.

The OAL is 1.100" with a taper crimp of .375", and I am using assorted once fired brass. I have even tried the Lee Factory Crimp Die after they come out of my Dillon SDB. Also, the rounds are passing the 9mm gage test.

Is my chamber just too tight for .356" lead bullets? My reloads using new brass and Sierra FMJ or MagTech FMC bullets function fine.

How do I check to see of the bullet will chamber in my barrel? The barrel dosen't have a hood like my .45 ACP, so I don't know how far the bullet is supposed to fit into the chamber.

Also, if my gun won't shoot LRN, are the plated bullets (FMC) easier on a barrel than FMJ. I am trying to get some milage form the gun because it is my hard baller and I don't want to wear it out before I make Distinguished.

The load I am using is once fired mixed brass, CCI SP, WSF 4.8 - 4.9, OAL 1.098" with the Missourd 115 gr LRN.

·
Super Moderator
13,436 Posts
If you had too much width, the Lee Factory crimp die should have fixed that. You would check by putting magic marker on the case and dropping it in and popping it out and looking for scuffing.

The hood on a 1911 barrel just tells you where the barrel touches down on the the breechface. That's what matters. The back end of the 92 barrel does that, so you are looking for flush with that back end.

Some round nose bullets have a stubbier profile than others and may not feed as easily. Some are hemispherical where the jacketed RN's are usually elliptical in profile, so they are a sharper shape. You might want to make up a dummy round and just keep seating the bullet deeper until you finally get it to feed, if it will feed? It is possible you'll need to take it to a gunsmith who works on 92's for a reliability package that includes radiusing and polishing the feed ramp and barrel to make it better handle blunt bullet shapes. It would tend to help with hollow points, too, if you do? It is also the case that the magazine lips may need to be altered to let go of the bullet a little earlier? The gunsmith would know.

I note that Hodgdon doesn't list any WSF loads for lead bullets. It is geared toward maximum powder shotgun and maximum power jacketed pistol loads, so I suspect it may be a bit on the slow side for the lower lead bullet start pressures? You may do better with 231 target loads. Even with hardball springs, they can be loaded to function the gun properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts