Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im back at it again. I gave thought to this idea a long time ago but now with more moding experience im ready to tackle it. I know theres ones i can buy but i want to build one from raw materials. I plan on using rectangular steel tube for lower FCG and use ar 15 fcg. Also use a uzi mag well or pistol grip. My upper will be rectangular or tube steel depending on my bolt. Thats my hang up is i need ideas on a closed bolt either square or round thats not $150 or higher. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,826 Posts
The first idea is to make EVERYTHING as round as possible. That way it can be made on a lathe. Look close at a Model 700 Remington or Sav. 100 series.
The AR-7 Survival rifle is as simple as anything going. The 9mm would need a heavier steel bolt, but otherwise everything is the same.

DOM chrome moly tubing and TGP 4130 shafting is for sale on ebay. (DOM= Drawn Over Mandrel. TGP= Turned, Ground and Polished)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ill check into those. I found a bolt and barrel i can get from masterpiece and the handguard will screw onto the barrel.

·
Premium Member
14,826 Posts
Well, "as simple as possible" is always just buying it. ;) I thought you wanted to make something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i am i cant find a 9mm closed bolt that has a reasonable price. So im leaning towards the uzi/m11 bolt design and i wanted a barrel to match

·
Premium Member
14,826 Posts
The barrel is threaded to whatever receiver you make, but unless you have broaching and milling equipment as well as a lathe the square bolts are MUCH more complicated to make, like a Thompson. Cheap to make round like a Greasegun or Sten.

I would think a 10-22 is about the handiest camp gun around.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know the dimensions of the mini uzi 9mm closed bolt assembly? Im checking out square tubing before i look up round stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts