Shooters Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
9x56 Mannlicher and 9x57 Mauser are virtually identical. If you can find a copy of "Cartridges of the World" it has some data. The .358 Winchester is also a virtual clone of these two cartridges and you can use .358 starting load data and you will be very close to stndard loads for either. The biggest problem will be bullets as the 9x56 uses .356 bullets. Generally you can get away with using .358 bullets if the chamber neck is large enough to do this, and almost certainly it will be.The extra .002 will not make a significant difference in pressure as most seem to think it will.
Not true, older guns are an entity into themselves. You must do a chamber cast to determine chamber dimensions.I ran into many issues trying to load my own shells. My chamber was tight and would not accept 8x 57 reformed brass as the base was too big. Also 358 bullets produced sticky bolt lift. Found bore size was 355. Contacted Quality Cartridge for casings (not cheap but correct size) and bought a swaging die to reduce 358 bullets to 355. I have now brought the old girl new life and found the perfect still hunting rifle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cartridges of the World, 12th edition has info on the 9x56mm MS. It says to use .356" bullets for handloading. 40.0 gr of IMR 3031 with a 200 gr SP bullet had 2110 fps.
That is the load I am using now. The new Winchester 350 legend used .355 bullets so I may try them next.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The gloss finished stock has me baffled. Is it a refinished 1903 or a 1950 in an odd caliber?
I love old MS!!!
The 9x 56 is only made in a model 1905 MS. You are correct in that it falls between a 35 rem and a 358 win. What the statistics don't tell you is that it is the finest rifle ever made for still hunting or hunting in dark timber where jump shooting is required. All I can say about mine is I will give it up when they prie it from my cold dead hands!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the 9x57; I make up ammo using new 8x57 brass and a 9mm neck-sizer. I picked up a bunch of very old Remington-UMC and Winchester ammo and pulled the bullets--280gr--and made up some loads from them. Mine did show some pressure difference in using 358 bullets; most of my ammo uses 245gr bulletd pulled from Kynoch 9x57 ammo, which shot OK when the primers went off but that wasn't consistent enough for hunting, especially bear hunting. Surprisingly enough, some of the old US ammo was for both 9's, the Mauser and the Mannlicher, but I suppose was made to the Mannlicher spec and fireformed naturally to the other. I do have some 8x56MS brass laying around from Bertram, but it didn't cycle in my 8x56 Model 1908; go figure! Good rounds, both of them, but way beyond what my arthritic shoulder will handle these days.
windy
windy
I understand that. Since my 1905 had already had the stock cut down I didn't feel bad about having a tachometer recoil pad added to alleviate that problem.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
MS chambers run very tight. To make things worse most of the die manufacturers don't chamber their dies correctly which is why every time I see a set of dies at a flea market cheap I get them because you never know when they will come in handy for forming something else.

CIP I have 30.06 dies that base dimension is ..466, 468, and I polished one out a tad to size .471 for the big jumbo factory chambers. On the 1903 rifles the original chambers were .469 and now I have seen factory chambers give birth to cases that come out over .472 which is why I polished one to .471 just for them.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
If you need 'small base' dies for a troublesome rifle, but want to be sure that is the problem, you can gain .002 of resize by sticking a cigarette paper around the case with a thin coat of Imperial wax. Cut the papers to match the taper and length you need first and it goes pretty fast. TOP papers have a gummed strip that makes it easy. I've tried spray adhesive to stick the paper and then lube the paper. That works too, but you'll have to tumble clean the paper and goo and its a PITA. Once you know what's needed, it's better to order a SB die and be done with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is an awsome tip. I decided if I was going to take my rifle to Africa I needed some cases with the correct headstamp so I ordered cases from quality cartridge company. They still produce many out of production calibers. I also turned down the bases on some 8x 57 Mauser cases by.004” on a lathe at work. You are a good friend to have. Enjoy him while he is still with you.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts