Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't anyone make a levergun in 454 casull?  I think this would be very cool.  I am guessing the gun could be light and compact, and I am sure it would be quite powerful.  If chamber pressure is such a problem, then why can a 6 shot revolver handle it?  Just wondering.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Never uderestimate the durability of a well-crafted revolver. I've been lead to the understanding that in several ways it is easier to build an ultra-tough five or six-shooter than a comparably strong rifle. I still don't "get" all the engineering mumbo jumbo but it's there.

The 454 Casull operates at a SAAMI spec of 65,000 psi, greater than many high velocity, bottleneck rifle cartridges. Making a durable lever action for the round would be an expensive engineering problem with limited return for the manufacturer. It could be done but how many would buy one?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jake,

When its all said and done, a rifle strong enough to handle the pressure of the 454 would be large enough to be chambered in 45-70. Of course between the two the 45-70 is much more versatile. I'm first to admit a weakness for rifles chambered in a pistol cartridge but the 454 rifle just wouldn't be practical.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Browning's most powerful cartridge for the low-wall is the .260 Rem, while the .454 Casull is on the stronger hi-wall action.  

Kinda seems backwards, with pistol cartridges in a "rifle action" and rifle cartridges in a "pistol-cartridge action."  But, at 65k psi, I guess it needs the metal.

- Charlie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts