Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored out of my skull last week and decided to play with some loads. I had some A#7 left over from a go around with a 45 ACP. I built a load from the Lee book that looked on paper to be about 1300 fps with a 240 cast bullet. It shoots wonderfully! Very quiet and very clean. (After shooting 6 rounds I wondered about the different sound the shots made. I had forgotten my earplugs.) My "fun" target is a suspended 3/8" plate of steel. The A#7 loads caused about 18" deeper indentations than my other loads do. I'm impressed. Has anyone else had such good results?:p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Old Jim,
Could you specify the powder charge, bullet type, and overall length of the loaded cartridge?
Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
16 grs of A#7
D&J hardcast, .300 meplat.
Didn't measure oal. Heavy crimp in crimping groove.
I've loaded some A#9 to try. Really like the Accurate Powders.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
Jim,
I really like the Accurate powders too. I've pretty much settled on AA#5. It is very accurate in the velocity range I want in the .44 (750fps-1200fps) and gives the lowest velocity spreads of any powder I've used. It has even demonstrated these traits in reduced cast bullet loads in 30-30, 308 and 30-06. I couldn't be happier with it for my purposes! IDShooter

·
Registered
103 Posts
IDShooter
I would be interested in what loads for AA#5 you have found good for the mentioned rifle cartridges. I too use AA#5 in my 44's and it is the best mid range powder I have ever tried. Using it for cast in the rifles intrigues me.:rolleyes:

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
DOUBLEJK,
I've been using a 170gr (actually 174 w/gas check) bullet and a large pistol primer in all these loads. I use 7.5gr in 30-30, 10gr in the 308 and 13gr in the 30-06. The first two give less than 1200fps and have virtually no recoil so my 10yr old son can shoot them. The 30-06 load is just under 1500fps. As I said accuracy and uniformity is excellent in all three.
But I gotta say this part - NONE OF THESE ARE PUBLISHED LOADS AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU USE THEM! If you choose to try this powder in cast rifle loads you'll have to work up your own in your rifles and see what happens! You know, all the legal stuff where I won't be held responsible, etc. etc.
Also, I did not use any fillers nor did I tilt the muzzle up to orient the powder against the primer. They seem to be really uniform without any help! Good luck and have fun. ID

1 - 6 of 6 Posts