Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used Browning A-bolt 300 Win. that came with a 3-9x40 Banner that has an on/off switch on it to turn on a red dot in the center of the multi x. It is powered by watch batteries.Scope has a shiny finish and looks pretty nice. I have never been a fan of Bushnell but so far, I like what I see. I don't know the age of the scope or rifle. I see ratings that are very favorable. But nothing on the red dot option. Appears that it was for low light conditions.
The A-bolt rifle is a Medallion with hand book and is also blued nice and shiny. But the stock is synthetic in a Camo pattern and sling works from connections inside the stock instead of the swivel rings. Nice recoil pad by Bell & Carlson. Is this stock an aftermarket?
I would love any opinions of this rifle and scope as to what I have and possible year. Or if someone has possible serial numbers to determine the rifle year.
I see Cabela's sells these rifles used in 300 Win caliber from $780 to $1250 and doesn't mention scope.
Does anyone know what this might be worth and should I keep it. I like the caliber. Can't find anything on the scope with red dot option. Some are made in various countries. Is one country better than the other?
H&H

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Your Medalion should have come with a walnut stock with a shiny polyurthine finsh. My guess that it was switched for the Bell and Carlson stock before you found the rifle.

Don't know a thing about the scope, maybe someone will weigh in here that can lend more information.

Around here a person can generally come into used A-bolts for $350-500 range without scopes. Good news is most are great shooters.

By the way welcome to the forum. Rules are have fun and play nice with the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
look on the underside of the scope back near the Occular (the part you look through) and tell me what it has on it. if it has a B&L stamped inside a small oval and marked Made In Japan then you have an older Bausch & Lomb made Banner and they are pretty decent scopes. if it is newer and made in Phillipines it is a bushnell made model with yet decent optics, you will be ok with either of those two. if it is a much newer made in China, aint no way it gonna stand up to a 300 winny in a light configuration over time. (just my .02 on the subject)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bannner red dot option?

Thanks for the help you guys. Looking on the bottom, the underside of the scope back near the Occular, I can't find anything there or anywhere else on the scope. I even took off the eye piece rubber ring. The scope is mounted too far forward and you can't adjust power to higher than 6 power on the 3-9 variable settings. Perhaps if it was moved further back which I plan to do, then I could see some writing on the tube in front of the adjustment ring.
Still confused, but appreciate the help.
H&H

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks for the help you guys. Looking on the bottom, the underside of the scope back near the Occular, I can't find anything there or anywhere else on the scope. I even took off the eye piece rubber ring. The scope is mounted too far forward and you can't adjust power to higher than 6 power on the 3-9 variable settings. Perhaps if it was moved further back which I plan to do, then I could see some writing on the tube in front of the adjustment ring.
Still confused, but appreciate the help.
H&H
sounds to me your rings are covering up the info i was asking about. just post th einfo when you find it, it's there, and we can give you a better idea of which version you have.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have one of those scopes, low cost made in China but still a decent scope, has held up well on a TC Omega for a few years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
H&h

Thanks for all the help. I'll move the scope back and comment in a day or so.
H&H

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have one of those scopes, low cost made in China but still a decent scope, has held up well on a TC Omega for a few years.
they also produced a version of those back while B&L was still making them for Bushnell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bushnell by H&H

Well, I finally got the serial number off the Bushnell Banner. It was under the rings. Thanks to Jim H for pointing me where to look. Just like you said Jim, the scope was marked 3-9X40 then had a BL with an oval circle around it, (logo?)then Japan under that. Like you said, it must be the older model still under Bausch & Lomb. Now, I wonder if I could use the serial number on it #U007023 to google a way to get directions about this scope for it's use. Or google a phone number or site for Bushnell??
Looks like someone may have mounted the scope wrong as rings were against the adjustment ring on the variable setting not allowing it to go past 6 power as the ring was resting against the adjustment knob of the scope. So I took off the bases and turned them around to allow ring to come forward more on the ocular side, making more space to turn the variable knob. Also had to reverse the front base to allow the ring to come further back on the scope tube. Thus move scope back further without hitting the expanded front section of the scope and thus improve the eye relief on the 9X setting.
Things are looking better, Hope I am putting it back together right as I have only done this a couple of times and a little rusty at that. I did read the threads about installs but they are not specific on these mounts and this scope.
H&H

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i have leupold bases with rear windage adjustment and Burris signature rings with the plastic inserts on my A-Bolt. by using the offset inserts (buy separate) i was able to keep my scope opticaly centered and get within about 2" of POI before needing to use any internal adjustments of the scope. i'll look up the banner value a little later. and i am sure there is a pdf out there in cyberland that will have all your instructons, google is your friend.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
book shows value of 100.00 - 200.00, add 20.00 for range finder feature, add 20.00 for iluminated rectical feature.
the banner had decent glass for it's day and was mfr by one of the better optics company in Japan (LOW). it's short commings from what i can tell and others have pointed out over the years was the tracking could be a little sluggish but once set and settled in generaly it would hold it's POI provided they were not on cannons. the Banner was Bushnels lowere line, the Scope Chief was it's top line then and that got phased out when Bushnell bought the sporting optics division of B&L and aquired the Elite line. if it were me i would use it for a while but replace it with a better scope and use that one for either back up or dispaly. since it is a 300 win mag i would shop for a 3-9x40 4200 Elite which can be had for under 300.00. you could sell that banner if in good condition to a collector and fetch i would think 100.00 to ofset your new scope cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bannner red dot option?

Thanks again Jim for the great description of what I have and the advice. Next to the serial number the scope also said Lite Site meaning the battery operated red dot center reticle for low light conditions I presume.
H&H:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
H&H yep on the lite site. good luck, and by no means am i an expert on these scopes. just enough general knowledge to get you pointed in the right direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts