Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi LOADER,

This is to reply to your mentioning that you have a Bushmaster rifle, recdently made famous by the D.C. Sniper.

There is a manufacturer of fine rifles and pistols about 40 miles from my home by the name of "Olympic Arms". They manufacture all the metal parts on thir own premises. They do buy the "plastic" stocks, however.

While they make many models for military/police and "others", they do make one model that they guarantee will shoot 1/2" for five shots at 10 yards. They will send you a photocopy of the group fired using your new rifle.

The rifle is a AR 15, semi-auto in .223 caliber. It costs $1250 without optics and without "pods" front or rear. This target rifle weighs about 10 lbs.

www.olyarms.com is their website in case you or others are
interested.

see ya.

csward:)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I can vouch for Olympic Arms quality. I have an older forged reciever made by SGW/SWG (don't remember spl) that is now Olympic Arms. Bought the reciever in the mid 80s and built a CAR-15/XM177E1 variant. Solid workmanship, I also have a 22lr conversion for it and use it as an understudy and reduced range work.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OLYMIC ARMS

HELLO COMBAT DIVER,

YOU BROUGHT UP AN INTERESTING POINT, COMBAT DIVER. THE OLYMPIC ARMS COMPANY HAVE MANY MANY DIFFERENT MODELS. THEY WILL EVEN USE THEIR COMPONENTS TO BUILD YOU A SPECIAL RIFLE OF YOUR DESIGN.

I RECENTLY HANDLED ONE THAT WEIGHED ONLY 4 1/2 LBS..

I SAW "AR 15 PISTOLS" THAT WERE VERY INTERESTING.

THEIR OWN "SAFARI" STAINLESS STEEL 1911 A1 LOOK-A-LIKE SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING EXTRA SPECIAL ALSO. THEY ARE NOT CHEAP ! THOSE I EXAMINED HAD EXCELLENT TRIGGERS.

THANKS FOR RESPONDING, COMBAT DIVER. GOOD LUCK IN GERMANY. I WAS STATIONED IN BAUMHOLDER IN THE MID-1950'S.

CSWARD:)

·
Banned
548 Posts
csward -

Thanks for the tip. Nice web site, and interesting products. Do you know if the parts and uppers they offer will fit my Bushmaster?

The main difference between Oly and Bushmaster I note is Oly does not use chrome liners. Their position is that it limits accuracy potential. In fairness, its also a good cost cutting measure.

Its just a trade-off. The Oly rifles are bound to be more finicky about ammo in terms of cycling and ejection than Bushmaster, but they are probably more accurate and more cost effective.

I want the best of both worlds and am hoping that the Oly uppers will pin right onto by Bushmaster lower when i want to drive tacks with top grade ammo.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI LOADER,

I'LL GIVE THEMA CALL TODAY SOMETIME AND ASK ABOUT THE CHROMED CHAMBERS.

SEE YA, LOADER.

CSWARD

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI LOADER,
JUST CALLED OLY ARMS. THEY SAID THAT THE BARREL WOULD FIT AND THE PARTS WOULD FIT THE BUSHMASTER, BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM WOULD BE THAT OF SANDING A SMALL AMOUNT TO GET THE FRONT OF THE UPPERHANDGIARD TO FIT RIGHT.

CSWARD

·
Banned
548 Posts
csward -

Thanks for the fast work. I really can have the best of both worlds!

I note that Oly offers a drop in adjustable buffer for the A2. This is a great idea for handloaders, as it gives a lot more flexibility in working with reduced loads while keeping the cycling reliable and consistent. This will be my first purchase.

They also post three outstanding articles on the penetration and stopping power of the .223 - much of it contrary to popular misconceptions. I really enjoy the site...

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI LOADER,
IT IS A PLEASURE TO ASSIST THOSE LIKE YOURSELF WHO HAVE FREELY GIVEN OF THEIR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE TO HAVE HELPED ME. IT GIVES ME MUCH PLEASURE TO DO SO.
BUT I'M MOSTLY A PARROT WHO REPEATS WHAT HE HAS LEARNED FROM OTHERS.
I HAVE YET TO READ ABOUT STOPPING POWER OF THE .223. THANKS FOR MENTIONING IT, LOADER.
CSWARD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts