Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
James, Chief, Bill, and Jack

Thanks for your replies to my questions.  I've ordered Marshall's tech guide and intend to read it before I begin asking too many questions. They'll come later by the barrel full, no pun intended. But I would like to get your opinions  on a couple of things. Can you recommend a good holster for field use and is it standard practice to sight a hunting handgun to shoot 2"-3" high at 25 - 30 yards?  Thanks again. By the way Cheif I'm actually a transplanted Westerner not a native.  Now if someone could just figure out how to turn the summertime temps down about 15-20 degrees SC would be an almost ideal place to live.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Mike,

I think I can speak for the entire membership of this board in welcoming you to our merry band and look forward to discussing your Model 27 and many others for a long time to come. Feel free to bring up any and all topics, as we learn from each other's successes and failures.

To your question of holsters, I really like the crossdraw. It is comfortable for all day carry, the gun is quite accessible, and doesn't interfere with a slung rifle or backpack like a strongside rig will. It's also nice for a draw from the seated position, such as when you're stand hunting or get surprised by game while eating lunch, resting, etc. My favorite crossdraw rig is made by El Paso Saddlery, the Tom Threepersons. The standard version is a strongside but can be ordered as a crossdraw. The Bianchi Cyclone is another good one, but isn't made for your 5" N-frame like the El Paso product.

I personally set all my adjustable-sighted guns to 25 yards, so will defer to others to comment on your other question.

(Edited by Bill Lester at 7:37 am on June 1, 2001)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have the same question about sighting. I finally got a steady enough rest to shoot and get on the paper at 50 yds and even adjust sights but now I am off at 25 yds. Plan to try again today if this rain lets up. adjusting sights, adjusting loads, looking for a steadier rest , man.... it never ends. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

I may become a little more frantic about it as hunting season approaches.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well Now....As the rest has stated, Welcome Aboard!
Now for holsters...We have two schools of thought here on holsters. Most all, including myself, lean toward crossdraw setups.That position is right when you are on a horse, in a boat or truck, or in bad weather. Where we part company is in the material of the holster. Down here we lean toward Uncle Mikes cordura instead of leather. The damp salty weather is the cause. We can throw them in the washing machine to clean out anything that can cause rust, etc. Out West the boys lean toward the traditional leather rigs. For our crossdraw rigs, we just buy the right hand holster and move it around to the left side forward the hipbone. The holster pivots enough to match the postion we assume.
Now on sights and sighting in....most try to be on the buttom at 25/30 yards, which in most cases cross again at 75 yards. The problem comes when trying to sight in the newer models that seem to have a lower front sight. If we can get within 2" or 3" at 25 yards with the rear sight all the way down, we are fairly close. The only solution to this problem is a higher front sight. No problem on hanguns with a pinned
in front sight, but many models have a solid sught. This problem of shooting high really shows up with the heavier bullets that are popular today.
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
James is dead-on as usual in regards to the sight-in question. Front sights have been somewhat short, red ramp-insert affairs (YUCK!) for quite a while. When was the last time a regular production revolver came from the factory with a Patridge blade? But Mike if you choose to change your front blade that wouldn't be much of a problem, as your Model 27 is certainly of the pinned sight era.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts