Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that Chris S. has moved on from this forum. But he did mail me one of his 300 Mildcat's fired cases. It's really just a de-tuned 30 Newton. Newton used a shorter neck and a 23 deg. shoulder angle. Chris's case is the same length, but with a longer neck and the same 17.5 shoulder angle of the old 30-06 Sprg.

Comparing Chris's mildcat to the new 300 PRC by Hornady, made me wonder about the gun writers use of Modern Case design. Maybe it should read "push feed only". Chris's mildcat will probably feed slick as s$%t through an opened up Mauser M-98's controlled feed action. I've used my only 257 cal. barrel for a 257 Roberts, but I did reform a virgin 6.5 Rem Mag case down to 25 cal., and seat a dummy 100 gr. bullet in it. I'll play with this in one of my test bed, M- 98 actions, just to see how it feeds, along with Chris's Mildcat dummy round.

Chris's wildcat will require a std. length action set up for belted cases, while my shorter mocked up 25 x 6.5 Rem Mag. when blown out to the RCM's case's diameter, will still run in the shorty 2.8" C.O.A.L. actions. But both of these cases are getting hard to come by, so maybe sticking to factory ammo will make more sense, after Trump's presidency ends.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I am still in touch with Chris and he's still playing with the 300 Nevada Desert Magnum (NDM) that he designed. It's a 375 Ruger Basic case, that is shortened and formed to resemble a 30-'06 case in all aspects, save the increased diameter. This gives him a capacity that is nearly identical to the original 308 Norma Magnum, or the old 30 Newton.

The introduction of the 300 PRC was inevitable, and does give him more hope that parent brass will continue to be available. His round can be chambered in any standard length action, provided the bolt head/face can be adapted to the standard .532" magnum diameter. The magazine and feed rails will also likely need to be adjusted.

I have written before about how Newton was not only ahead of the times, but too far ahead of powder development for his cartridges to be appreciated when they were first released. The 300 NDM is a great cartridge, insofar as it has many good attributes and nothing to detract from it, save being a wildcat. At the same time, it would have been an even better cartridge if it had less body taper and a steeper shoulder, while still being short enough to fit in a standard length action.

The 300 PRC has a modern case design, but does require a long action to accommodate its cartridge OAL. While I think the 300 PRC is the best 30-caliber magnum cartridge ever brought to market, I think it would have been even better if it had been shortened to fit in a standard length action. It basically would have been Chris' 300 NDM, but with less case taper, a sharper shoulder, and perhaps a shorter neck. In my opinion, that would have made the 300 PRC the best possible 30-caliber magnum one could ever dream up.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He trimmed the 300 PRC back a ways. I think it's now 63 mm. Not sure anymore exactly what the inch measurement is for virgin 06 brass. But virgin Ruger 300 PRC is 66 mm in length.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modern case designs??

After a long study, I think N.V. Shooter's mildcat and my own 8mm x 375 Ruger wildcat, are more classic CRF's than any of the Factory Ruger cartridges made off of their 375 Ruger brass. Not saying that one is better or worse, just that with a claw extractor, primary camming, and CRF, a streamlined 300 H&H like pattern will feed just fine. With the scanty circlip extractors, the minimum tapered 375 Ruger's pattern of cartridges will work in the "Sweet Spot". Obviously, GS's have made a livelihood out of adapting Standard length Magnum cases to old Military rimless bolt actions.

But these cases have to "pop" up out of the magazine, rather than "slither" up. Until the cartridge is secured, in under the claw extractor, the bolt must keep moving forwards, until the round clears the mag's feed rails.

In modern push feeds, the bolt only locks down when the cartridge is all the way into the chamber. In a way this is nit picking, but with Murphy's Law, sooner or later----!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts