Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had in my possesion[for about 5 yrs.] about 10 box of reloads at both 150 an 180gn..
this for 30 06..
ive noticed these to be erratic.. now the friend who made them was on a high volume of pain meds..could one grn make an inch difference in where the bullet impacts at a 100 yrds..
also is the rnd that impacts lower the faster rnd or the one that impacts higher..yall know,, i have very limited knowlede of these thing ..just from this post..
the rnd is relegated to hunting or shtf ammo .. but i was just curious..thanks ,slim
ps if i don t get back soon.. its because im real busy taking care of a very sick wife..

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I agree with cvc944 on this one...if you know your friend may not have been "on his game" while reloading these rounds, I would not be comfortable shooting them. One double-charged case or 180gr bullet over a powder charge meant for a 150 and things could get ugly.

P.S. More importantly, I am sorry your wife is not well and will remember her in my prayers.

·
Super Moderator
14,106 Posts
First, I would lay a straight edge across each case head to see that the primers were all seated fully and below flush with the case heads? 0.004" below flush is an industry average, and if you have a feeler gauge you can check that. Irregular primer seating can cause not only erratic velocity, but can introduce ignition delays of 10's of milliseconds. Not enough for the human brain to register, normally, but enough to let the rifle move a little before the bullet gets out.

I don't recall whether you have loading equipment or not? If not, perhaps your friend will let you work on his bench? If the average performance of the loads was OK and showed no pressure signs, I would pull the bullets with an inexpensive inertial puller. Weigh each charge to check that none are wildly different from the others? Also examine the powder to make sure it all looks the same? If so, average the weighed values. Find out from your friend what the powder is and check an online manual or ask here to see if that average is within the normal load range?

After firming up primer seating as necessary, I would individually weigh powder charges equal to the average value of the weights you got originally (assuming it was OK with the manual information?) then recharge the cases. Double check that the bullets match, then reseat them. That will at least let you salvage the ammo. Look at it as a hands-on audit of your friend's work?

As to your original question, there's no correct answer. In general, heavy bullets go higher and lighter bullets go lower at shorter ranges. Vice-versa at longer ranges. But either can be reversed by the barrel whipping up or down at the moment the bullet exits.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ..well im aware of the danger .. this fella reloaded for a good many folks around
here.. but like i say his health was not the best..i originally had 25 boxes of 06 an 30 30 rnds he made .. i used all but 10 ofem.. mabe somebody was looking after me..
i was just curious ..they definitely only good for hunting.. thanks slim

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The last thing I would want is some loads from some one is might be off 'cause of some meds . I never load when some one is going to distract me and the anwsering machine answers the phone , since I know what could happen with a distraction of some kind. This deed demands your full attention period.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Definition of "friend" must be concidered here. I have very few anymore. Trust both of them though. With my life, my wife,my children,my home,my stuff, etc.

I'd do the same for my "friends"!

Cheezywan

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
you already shot 15 boxes from the same batch from this guy.. by erratic do you mean bad grouping? couldnt it just be that that particular load doesnt shoot well out of your rifle, and its perfectly safe? just thoughts.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could be barkbuster.. both 180 grn an 150 grn are not bad but like i said mostly designated for short range hunting.100 yrds or so....he has a agood reputation but oxycotin will play heck with a mans mind. thanks,slim
ps there there when i run outa everything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.