Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use cast bullets exclusively, and I would like to find another powder that performs well (i.e. clean, consistant, predictable) in the 38/357, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.

Ultimately, my goal is too arrive at a primary and backup choice of powder in the fast, medium, and slow burning range.  Right now I have the medium range covered by Universal Clays and Unique and the slow range covered by AA No. 9 and 2400.  

I am pretty confident that TITEGROUP will be one of my choices for the fast range.  What would be a good companion or backup for it in the fast burning range?

I know that Bullseye, Red Dot, American Select,Green Dot, Nitro-100, AA No. 2, and Clays fall into the faster burning category, but, of these I don't know which would meet my requirements for clean burning and economy?

Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless,
Mark in GA

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mark:

I have used Bullseye exclusively for my cast plinking loads in .357 Mag.  However, since I have never tried anything else, I can't compare as to if it is better than another.  I got started handloading 6 years ago or so, and someone told me to buy a can of Bullseye.  It has worked fine, so I never saw a reason to change.  I've loaded a few thousand rounds of 148 grain wadcutters and 158 grain SWC.  The only problem I've ever had is with some leading, but that depended on the type of bullet.  

Ray Floyd

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Mark,

I'll second Ray's suggestion of Bullseye. I've burned a whole bunch in the close to twenty years I've handloaded. Used it for plinking, steel, IPSC, IDPA and carry load-equivalent recipes in several cartridges. I've never had a really bad load using Bullseye and most were excellent. My second choice would be Accurate Arms No. 2 Improved.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'll have to second Bullseye. I've used 4.5 grains of Bullyseye behind a 140 grain Saeco, in a 357 Case for a lot of years. And 4.5 grains behind a 200 SWC cast slug in the 45 Auto and 45 Auto Rim for an equal number of years. I've also found Winchester's 231 in like amounts works just as well.
Jim

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I've only used green Dot and it seems dirty to me. Also the manuals seem to leave it out a lot. I've used it in 44 mag and specials with 240 gr. lead and 220 gr. Jacketed. Only used in well below factory loads so that may account for the dirty left over powder.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have used Titegroup a lot the past couple years in .44 and .45 cal - great accuracy, very clean burning.  I have also used Unique with some lighter loads in .44 mag, .454, and 45/70 with good results, and I recently tried Accurate 5744 with a 300gr cast load in the .454 with good accuracy, although it was a little on the dirty side.  I have settled on H110 exclusively for full-power loads in the revolver rds, it seems to perform much better for me than AA9 did.
Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mark
 I found that Red Dot is very clean burning in  my light to moderate loads for my .45 LC. I just started using Green Dot and It doesn't burn as clean as Red Dot. I have work loads up to around 1100 fps with Red Dot in my Ruger BH- Still burns cleaner than Green Dot.

Respect  me or my 45!!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Mark:
  IMR recommends 6.3 grains of 700-X for 815 f.p.s. at 13700 C.U.P. in the .45 Colt. I don't have a .45 Colt, but it's my favourite for .45 ACP target loads with 4.0-4.2 grains moving a 200 gr. SWC at 700 f.p.s. It's very slightly slower than Red Dot. I have better luck with 231 in the .38 Special, but that's only with one bullet.  I've got others to try now.

Bye
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 9:51 pm on Aug. 20, 2001)

·
Registered
107 Posts
For consideration as the clean burning and inexpensive powder for the fast burning catagory I really like Hodgdon's HP-38.  I use it in .45 Colt and .357 Mag with cast loads for plinking and for CAS.  I have been pleased with the accuracy and cleaness in both my Ruger Blackhawks/Vaquero's and in my Marlin M1894 and Winchester M92.  Odessa

·
Registered
26 Posts
My vote is for Bullseye.I have always had good results using Bullseye in 38/357,45 acp,45 colt and 44 mag/spec.

·
Registered
11 Posts
originally bought some 231 for cast bullet loads in 45 colt and wound up trying it in my 38 & 357 wadcutter loads. i've had good luck with bullseye, green dot and unique but my best groups with hbwc's and cast 148's are with 231. guess it depends on the gun but it works good for me.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I hope this thread continues because I am learning a lot. I am trying to find a load for my 44 mag , for deer hunting, that will shoot a 240 gr. Hornady XTP around 1100 fps in my 5 1/2" SA. I would shoot specials but they have lost accuracy at those speeds with the 180 gr. and I think I want to go with the 240 gr. anyway. I have tried various loads with Green Dot, Universal, and IMR 4227 with less than acceptable results. The Universal should have filled the bill but as of yet I have not been happy. I can achieve good accuracy from many loads with 240 grain cast bullets from Universal and Green Dot.

I love to run all these trials but I need a load to hunt with soon because our gun season opens mid October in the Upstate of S.C.

Help me with my powders if you can or if anyone else has had a hard time with the XTPs let me know. The only other jacketed bullet I have used is the 220 gr. Sierra which is very accurate.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
I'd try Blue Dot next.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Chief RID,

Realizing that each revolver is different, I agree with MikeG. Several summers ago I shot 176 combinations of 9 different powders with the 240gr. XTP and was surprised to find Blue Dot was the most accurate and consistent for me.  15.7grs. gave me the best results.

But then you and I know the Gods of Reloading will have something to say about your success! Hopefully they're in a good mood.

Dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use Bullseye in my cast bullet loads for my 45 Colt and I've started using H-lil' gun for my hot jacketed stuff. The bullseye loads shoot great, but they're not what you would call clean burning. After several shots are fired the entire little stainless vaquero is completely covered with a dark resedue. The loads with h-lil' gun are much clean burning. This new powder works quite well for higher velocity loads. You might check out the Hodgdon website. I've used bullseye for years and love the accuracy but if clean burning is what you're looking for, you might not like it.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Chief RID,

Dan and Mike make a good suggestion to try Blue Dot next. My brothers and I used a great deal in days gone by in several S&W .44 magnums to create "3/4 loads."
That to keep the somewhat overtaxed N-frames happy but still give more than enough oomph for virtually anything for which we would use a handgun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts