Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently things are pretty bad for women in India :(. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25727080

"India has launched a new handgun for women, named after a student who was gang-raped in Delhi in December 2012 and later died of her injuries. Officials say it will help women defend themselves, but critics say it's an insult to the victim's memory."

How hard is it to acquire a gun?

First you have to get a licence.

Applicants have to be at least 21 years old, and must prove a "genuine reason", such as a threat to their life, or an interest in target shooting.

Revenue authorities and police carry out a "thorough check" of the applicant's background. They must undergo a medical check-up to prove they are physically healthy, of sound mind, and able to handle a weapon. If the applicant has a criminal record, their request is turned down.

Civilians can only own handguns. They are not allowed to possess automatic firearms.

A person can own a maximum of three guns and the licence has to be renewed every three years.

Source: Kanpur police
Guns in India

India guns
Estimated total number of guns: 40 million
Number of registered, legal guns: 6.3 million
Estimated guns held illegally: 33.7 million
Only 15% of privately owned guns are legal
Firearms per 100 people: 3.36
India is second only to US in the number of privately-held guns
Source: Gun Policy
BBC News - A gun designed for Indian women

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
After the recent threads; ".270 win any good for moose?", "Elk rifle question, is 30-06 big enough?" and "Cartridge choices? Alaska black bear".... when reading "A gun for women", guess my mind went the wrong dirrection..... :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
There's entirely too much rape and mistreatment of women in that bloody place. Personally I'd hand every woman over there a gun and show 'em how to use it. A few blokes with their cojones shot off would be a great deterrent.
JD

·
Registered
484 Posts
There's entirely too much rape and mistreatment of women in that bloody place. Personally I'd hand every woman over there a gun and show 'em how to use it. A few blokes with their cojones shot off would be a great deterrent.
JD
Like the Grandmother in your country a couple of yrs ago? I wanted to send her a congrats for that!

·
Banned
968 Posts
> Remember Viet Nam, Iraq and now Afghanistan.

Yes, where we violated Deut 28:12 and borrowed from other nations, when Nixon killed the gold standard, and the wars turned out just as you would expect them to according to the curses.

India holds the most gold per citizen and last year we let them get away with tens of billions through the world bank.

It is not called the **** hole of Calcutta for nothing and basically reflects society in general for India. After all this is the country of the caste system and the country that had to protest against the salt tax to get it's freedom. Spiritually, it is a country in greater darkness then our own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Life as An Indian Woman

My wife and I have been traveling to India for over 10 years. It has never been a safe and secure environment for women. India has a very strong patriarchal society, and as a woman, they never truly own anything, especially in the lower castes. They are mostly considered property and their family must pay the prospective groom a dowry. And months or even years later the husband can go back to the family and ask for more money to keep her if he doesn't think she turned out like he desired.

Seventy percent of the population of India, in many ways, are still living as if it were 2000 yrs ago. If a woman does not produce boy babies her husband may just get rid of her and try again with another woman. If she's lucky he will just divorce her, if not, she might "accidentally" catch fire in the kitchen one day. If her husband dies then she is totally without anything, unless she has a son who is able and willing to care for her. Sometimes she will be able to get a lower class job (such as sweeping the streets by hand, or bent over in the rice fields) to barely provide for herself if she has any type of skill at all. In many cases she is ostracized in her village because she is considered unlucky, and probably will never receive another marriage proposal.

I am happy to see that women, to some extent are able to protect themselves, yet those will be the upper casts only. The lower caste are fortunate enough to have a meal of rice each day, no less afford a gun. I have never seen anyone in India with a gun except soldiers and the upper ranks of the police. And the police are very unreliable in responding to emergencies, and are extremely corrupt.

For the women of India, fear of rape is only one of many crises they must deal with throughout their lives. If you are in one of the 4 main upper castes, the you are blessed (literally, because of something you did in your previous life). If you were born (reincarnated) in one of the many, many lower castes or a woman, then you got what you deserved.

·
Registered
943 Posts
JD
I agree, but I would completely defrock them. Never a nuisance again.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Gun fer wimmins?

A gun fer huntin' wimmin's you say? :confused:

Id say something loud enough to drown out their whine-in' if you wing one - heck they could nag you to death before you get a 2nd shot off. :D

Dangerous game rule of thumb should apply, (if you can't git your thumb down the hole in the end of the barrel - it's too small) (coz they can bottle you while your busy snoozin)! :eek:

There needs to be a 'bag' cough cough - HAG limits introduced - everyone knows ya don't wants to git too many of them at the same time - specially if they all find out about each other. :p

Wimmin huntin.... mighty tough work... not all men are suited to this challenge. :D ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts