Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Testing my reworked ( Originally was 2fa Artillery powder ) 3fg powder today. 50 yards with my Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal. 70gr 3fg, .020 patches and .490 round ball.
Happy? You can't wipe the smile off my face!
4fg Gearhart Owen in the pan. Instant ignition.
Its been a long while since I last shot the flinter. Mostly because my powder supply is always down. Shouldn't be an issue for a while!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,778 Posts
That's some fine shooting with a muzzle stuffer. A fine looking rifle, also. Wondering how you procured the coarse artillery powder and then ground (crushed ?) it down to 3fg an 4fg knowing how to determine the grades.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looks like fun. I keep wanting to shoot some muzzle loading black powder, but seemed to not be able to find the time while working. My first experience with muzzleloading was in Boy Scouts...it was a blast.

Anyway, nice looking firearm and equipment and great target.

·
Super Moderator
3,768 Posts
Very nice pictures and impressive shooting. Flintlocks are my preference and it seems that you have got it sorted out. Well done! Where do you obtain coarse artillery powder? All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
very nice!!!!!!! i should get back into my flintlock.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice pictures and impressive shooting. Flintlocks are my preference and it seems that you have got it sorted out. Well done! Where do you obtain coarse artillery powder? All the best...
Gil
a friend of mine had a few bags. I process it and we split it. I'll have around 30lbs by the time its all said and done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not surprised at the target. Now you see how frontier riflemen could hit a man at 300 yards and hit him in the head at 150 yards. At Kings Mountain they found Loyalist soldiers dead in the crags of the rocks shot through the head while in the act of firing. Kudos to you as it takes practice and concentration to ignore the explosion just inches from your eyeball.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts