Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened upon this lovely 788 in 308 with a 22" barrel and a 3-9 Redfield Widefield. Preliminary testing with PMC store bought ammo 馃檴馃槺 says " Trixie" will be worth the "too much" I paid.

According to serial number and barrel codes "Trixie" was made in 1974.

She was mostly a "back window" rifle with very little wear on the bolt and just one major scratch on the left side of the stock. She has not been free floated or cleaned yet and when I get time she will get load work up with 150 grain SGK's and IMR4064.

I know there is a cornucopia of other combinations that will work but I have plenty of both so that's the plan at this time.

RJ

Registered
Well ..RJ Trixie looks like a sweetheart. . If you lived anywhere close I would be happy to help you warm up the barrel. . I'm stuck with a couple hundred rounds of 308 and no rifle. ..
Ain't that just pitiful. .

Registered
Very nice! I'd rather have the 788 in 308 Win instead of 6mm Rem.

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
After you degunk the barreled action, repaired stock, epoxy bedded and free floated, loaded up some RJ's famous handloads, get back to us and let us know the results.

Might consider the addition of a recoil pad while doing stock work. ;)

Reactions: Darkker

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might consider the addition of a recoil pad while doing stock work. ;)
馃槺馃槺

And ruin the clean lines of such a classic sporter?

Oh, you meant to protect my delicate shoulder 馃槅馃槀

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

Registered
I happened upon this lovely 788 in 308 with a 22" barrel and a 3-9 Redfield Widefield. Preliminary testing with PMC store bought ammo 馃檴馃槺 says " Trixie" will be worth the "too much" I paid.

She was mostly a "back window" rifle with very little wear on the bolt and just one major scratch on the left side of the stock. She has not been free floated or cleaned yet and when I get time she will get load work up with 150 grain SGK's and IMR4064.

I know there is a cornucopia of other combinations that will work but I have plenty of both so that's the plan at this time.

RJ
Nice Model 788!! I use to have one in .30-30, very accurate too!! Bagged my very first Kentucky Whitetail with it.

Registered

RJ
Very nice score!!!! Love the 308

Registered
Well ..RJ Trixie looks like a sweetheart. . If you lived anywhere close I would be happy to help you warm up the barrel. . I'm stuck with a couple hundred rounds of 308 and no rifle. ..
Ain't that just pitiful. .
I鈥檇 be more than happy to help with the ammo situation?

Registered
One of my greatest gun-related regrets of my life was trading off my 788 .22-250 that I bought new in the early 1970s. It was THE most accurate rifle I have ever owned. With almost any 50 to 55 gr bullet over the right charge of 3031 would put 5 shots under .5 inch at 100 yards. I used this rifle to make several 500 yard hit on prairie dogs.

I envy your aquisition of that 788. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed mine! 馃憤

Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This makes number four, I have two 223's and one 222.

RJ

Reactions: JWSmith1959

Registered
One of my greatest gun-related regrets of my life was trading off my 788 .22-250 that I bought new in the early 1970s. It was THE most accurate rifle I have ever owned. With almost any 50 to 55 gr bullet over the right charge of 3031 would put 5 shots under .5 inch at 100 yards. I used this rifle to make several 500 yard hit on prairie dogs.

I envy your aquisition of that 788. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed mine! 馃憤
Same with my 788 / .22-250 - except I still have mine! Have shot prairie dogs out to 650 yards with the 50 gr Vmax. But the 35 gr Hornady NTX @4500 fps really blows them up at 100 yards.

Registered
Being a Remington guy I always thought having a 581, 591 and a 788 in 223 and 7-08 would have been a nice collection, all those "economy" guns are alot better than most other companies top line guns in function.
I've had six 581's over 30yrs, paid anywhere from 100. to 200.00 dollars for them, every one of them shot 1 moa at 100yds. I bedded the action and adjusted the triggers then sold them to people who didn't have a accurate gun for 22 silhouette. I made AAA hunting rifle class with one, a friend has a 788 in 7-08 that's had half a dozen barrels on it, he's shot thousands upon thousands of rounds through it at silhouettes, the action is still going strong.
The only thing wrong with them is you can't buy them cheap anymore!
Congrats RJ.

Registered
I have that colletion more or less.

541T, 541THB, 541X, 580, 581, 582, 591, and 788 in 223, 243AI, 6mm and 308.

You know, when I put them all together in a list like that, maybe the wife is right and I have a problem.

They all shoot well though. The 308 is one of my most accurate rifles.

Registered
i used to be a remington guy too. the m700 and the m760 i had them all. i sold them, but i do own a rem m7 in 7-08(18.5" barrel) and a rem m14 in 30 rem. (the other rem m7 in 7-08[18.5" barrel] is my youngest son's) my brother has a rem m721 in 270 that is just accurate as heck. my dad has a m7(7-08 18.5" barrel) and a m760 in '06 and a m572 with a 150 year anniversary mark. my uncle has a m788 in 308. my friend has a 243 in m788.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts