Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody. I'm the new guy. Just recently got into using my 2nd amendment rights by way of survivalist and camping/hiking hobbies. I own a Springfield .45ACP "Micro-Compact" and just purchased a Marlin 336 in .35. I've never killed anything bigger than a bug in my life, but as I would like to be a well rounded "woodsman" I want to get into hunting game. I'm signed up for a CHL class in my home state this month and I'm planning on taking a hunter's education class the next time it's available close to me.

So what do you guys think of my first two gun purchases? The Marlin was built in 1974* (as per the 100-[first two digits of serial #] method for Marlins) but I don't know how to date my .45. I don't know if any of that makes a difference to you, but there it is.

*Edit: corrected date

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome, and I think you made some very nice choices for a first timer. I think everybody should have a 45, and nothing wrong with a lever action, especially in 35 cal.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Welcome EvilMonkey. I can;t help with the 45, but (in my opinion), you couldn;t have picked a better levergun nor a better caliber. I have a 2009 model 336 in 35Rem and a 1977 model 336 in 30-30. I wished the models were reversed with the calibers, but I wouldn;t part with either.

I like your "survival studies" attitude. It may come in handy someday. Anytime I'm camping, I practice as much as I can and do with as little as I can muster.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Good first choices Evilmonkey. If really wanting to pursue the 'survivalist' path, seems a 22 LR in rifle or handgun for small game (and 2-legged predators) would be a good consideration!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome EvilMonkey. I can;t help with the 45, but (in my opinion), you couldn;t have picked a better levergun nor a better caliber. I have a 2009 model 336 in 35Rem and a 1977 model 336 in 30-30. I wished the models were reversed with the calibers, but I wouldn;t part with either.

I like your "survival studies" attitude. It may come in handy someday. Anytime I'm camping, I practice as much as I can and do with as little as I can muster.
I've built a pretty hefty "Go Bag" and now I'm in the process of whittling it down to the minimums..

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Shawn brings up a good point: the 22LR almost always tops the list when it comes down to "If you could only have one rifle..........." scenarios. As cheap as many of them are, it wouldn;t hurt to consider adding one to the arsenal.

Also Evil, consider more than one bug out bag as opposed to trying to perfect just one. Redundancy of inventory happens, but I'm used to it. A smaller bag for a quick run and a larger one if you think you'll be out longer. Or you can take both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I came *this* close to getting a Henry Survival gun in 22LR just hours after getting my Marlin. Figured I should shoot the Marlin a few times before going for the next one..... maybe I'm wrong....

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I've been eyeing one of those too, but I already have four 22 guns. Years ago, my wife and I owned one of the first "survival" breakdown rifles in 22. I don;t remember if it was a Henry or what.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts