Shooters Forum banner

A question for the big bore boys?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jack Monteith 
#1 ·
Friends All......What would you consider a 525 gr FN HB, cast from hard lead, traveling between 1300 and 1400 fbs would be adequate for, up to 100 yards?
Best Regards, James

#2 ·
James,

Adequate for what??  Actually should work for about anything you could get close enough to to poke a hole in.  The only serious comment, really a question, is to what purpose do you propose it being a hollow base if it is going to be hard-cast?  A flat base bullet would probably be more practical and certainly more convenient to cast.  Hollow base and hollow point bullets are relatively slow to cast and also have a tendency to form voids at the point of the cavity pin.

#3 ·
CB........You are correct about the hollow base.
, It, however, is the nature of this beast as I will explain later. For now, I am just looking for some feed back on the weight and velocity. It is all about a project Marshall and I are working on. I think it will be interesting for everyone later. I agree that the load would be very deadly out to 100 yards. Thanks for your input!
Best Regards, James

#7 ·
We're in the .50-90 Big Sharps ballpark here, and just above the sound barrier at the muzzle.  So we're only loosing a couple of hundred fps between 100 and 300 yards.  The buffalo didn't know the difference in the 1870's and the hide hunters preferred setting up at 250-300 yards so they wouldn't spook the herd.

Bye
Jack

#8 ·
Splendid Indeed!! It's great fun on a run like this! It makes one think doesn't it? I assure you when I'm finish with the tests and maybe a hog...I'll post it all with some pictures of the load I now call the "Beast with a Funny Face"!Did that perk your curiosity? Keep it coming!
Best Regards To All, James

#11 ·
Driving it backwards perhaps?
Some of the old buffalo hunters preferred a hollow base bullet, thinking that it would expand to fill the rifling as the bore expanded due to heat.
Mark

#12 ·
James Gates,

Should have known you had an ulterior motive in this question.  In fact, I was wondering why you asked it since I would have (and still do ) expected you to already know the answer!

mcassill,

Yes, they used hollow-based bullets, but the primary reason was that they were either cast or swaged paper patched bullets and the hollow base was to accommodate the twisted tail of the paper patch.

#13 ·
Friends All...This was not a trick question, a quiz, or my trying to play with your mind. Yes, it was worded to perk your interest and have an amusing run. We are testing the ballistics on the mentioned load. It is, more or less, a modern approach to an old principle. It has been tested now in two firearms quite successful and is being tested in the third. I will admit that only one of the answers so far has been close. When we are finished, I think many will be surprised at the results. I witnessed similar results,while working in Europe,on very large game.
Many of the members on this forum have the background to bring interesting projects aboard and this will set this forum as different than others that just repeat the same old hype and type.
Bear with me and we will have the results some.
One more hint...the load can be used in one of the most common firearms in this country.
Best Regards, James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.