Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had many posts by people with various eye problems trying to figure out a way to sharpen their sight picture on handguns. I has some real messed up eyes and have for some time wanted a device to sharpen my sight picture. We have seen various methods that run from the ridicules to the sublime! We all know that target shooters have used small aperture sights for years for this purpose. We also know that by reducing the size of the aperture (as in a camara) that the length of the focal plane increases. Now how can we apply this to our problem? Simple! We need a small aperture near our eye! Sometimes the simple solution is the hardest to find. I tried all kinds of gadgets, then found the simple answer.......
Buy a pair of the fold down type dark glasses that fit on regular glasses. Put them on your regular glasses and have someone mark a spot on them where you sight through your glasses. Cissey did mine with "White Out" ( I wear progressives). Then drill a hole about .05" at that spot. Take a spray can of flat black and spray the lens with the hole in it (on the inside)and leave the other lens without.Then when you are ready to sight your handgun in or target pratice, clip the fold downs on your glasses. You will be greatly surprised how much it sharpens your sight picture and extends the focal plane.
Best Regards, James

(Edited by James Gates at 3:20 pm on April 21, 2001)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used a 1/2 in electric tape.punched hole in with leather punch.put on glasses so hole is in right place
peal off careful and you can use it many times

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,949 Posts
All good methods.

Some years ago, bought a cheap pair of clip-on's at a gunshow. The left lense is yellow and the right is black plastic. Has two small holes drilled in the black lense. One for using open sights on a rifle and one for handguns. Works great! Haven't seen them being sold since - a real shame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts