Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what it is but every time I'm out doors shooting or camping I get a craving for a fine venison stake. Well it just happened when I was comming back to the house from my range, my wife said she had cooked me something special. She had cut up some spuds , thrown in some onions and some bacon and fried them up real crisp then she fried up some venison steaks to a real nice med. rare with a little garlic and mushroom over the top of the steak. I have to tell you boys that this was a meal in real good taste. Now since most of you guys are spread out over the states what say you tell me what your most favorite meal is when your out of doors?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
My favorite meal that doesn't need to be heated when outdoors is smoked rainbow trout. I smoke it myself with a simple recipe. I especially like to have the smoked trout when I'm in my ice shanty having a few beers fishing for trout. My favorite venison is tenderloin with a red wine and ****ake mushroom and shallot sauce. This is a recipe best prepared medium rare to rare, pan seared on really high heat. I'm out of venison already, so I have to make it with fillet mignon now. It's an awesome meal either way. I like some mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and some asparagus as the sides.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Pooter,
I had no idea the mushrooms where obscene :) The way I pronounce it when I'm fooling with my wife would explain this though. Sounds like your wife is a good cook, the meal sounds excellent. The problem I have is that when I go to the range, there is no meal waiting, as my wife usually wants to go with me if a babysitter is available. She thinks my .17HMR is "hers" now. She shoots better groups with it than I do :( At least I can still outshoot her with her own pistol.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kciH
Right on with the smoked trout, thats what my wife likes best where I prefer my jerky for those snack times. I very seldom run out of venison. My friends that hunt my place usually leave me a steak or two and my wife gets a tag and I have a couple of people that love to hunt but don't like the tast of venison so they give me thier deer. It's a dirty job but some has to do it.
Bob

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Pooter,
If only I had such problems!:) I fell down on the job last year, and only shot one deer and a black bear. Ironically, they where both shot in my previous home state of MN. The bear has been used mainly for stew/soup/chili, as the steaks/roasts are kind of greeezy, must have been all those three day old pastries I was feeding him!

I do have a some difficulty getting my wife to go ice fishing. In NE the ice never gets terribly thick and cracks alot when it gets cold, as a result of new ice forming. My wife is a bit unnerved by this. She does help clean the fish though!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Well for being the son of an Angus rancher it sure seems odd that I don't eat beef. Never have liked the bland taste. I shoot 4-6 deer per year and at least one elk and sometimes two. I drew a coveted Mountain goat tag two years ago and I save that meat for special occasions. I love to fish in the high mountain lakes and streams found all over Montana and I like to keep an abundant supply of Westslope cutthroat trout, both smoked and int he freezer.

My favorite meal while camping has to be pan fried trout with lemon pepper seasoning, no plates required.
At home I like to throw a good elk roast in the pit and let it sit for about 8 hours until its good and soft. mmm mmm mmm.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Mattsbox,
The elk sounds too good. As far as the Angus goes..soak the steaks in a some worchestershire sauce for about 15 mins a side with fresh ground black pepper and salt, or garlic salt, and grill em over charcoal. Adds a nice flavor, I suggest the NY strip cut. It's probably a good thing I don't have unlimited access to prime red meat. Another good means for cooking trout is to throw some butter and lemon, or garlic, or both in with fish in some tin foil and throw if near the coals of your campfire..

Suddenly I'm getting hungry.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I generally like to eat the elk with no seasoning at all. It is so much better than beef, you can't even begin to imagine.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I also shoot 2 prong horns every year and completly enjoy their meat much better than even a young whitetail doe.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Its odd but not as good as my Ruger M77 in the same caliber, .25/06. The advantage is only marginal and I think that maybe it just doesn't like factory loaded ammo. As soon as I can get someone to load my brass then I will tinker some more. The Dakota shoots about 2'' groups and that is good enough to kill anyhting that I point it at, and if I miss then I can not blame it on the rifle. It sure is nice though. I keep it locked in the back safe that no one sees. I am shooting Rem factory loads in 120gr. PSP Core-Lokt bullets.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Best meal I've ever had in the deer camp was some flounder that a friend cooked wrapped up in foil, with butter, onions, and I think potatos, and some sort of seasonings. Didn't pay much attention to the recipe but I should have. Grilled over mesquite coals (inexhaustable supply of mesquite in south Texas, one of the side benefits of hunting down here). I think he caught the flounder also on another trip to the coast. Wow it was good, we were fighting over who got to have the bones....

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,966 Posts
Was invited to a pipeline contractor's hunting camp down by Rock Springs, Tex years ago - the ritual was to sit out by the campfire ring in the evenings in lawn chairs, inbibe in our favorite sippin' stuff and watch the mesquite burn down to a big bed of coals. A shovel was used to scoop some over to the grill pit and marinated young roasts they called ribeye steaks were tenderly placed on the grill. We kibitzed the cooking, then grabbed paper plates and speared the steak to our liking when ready. Foil wrapped potatoes were salvaged from the coals, hot buscuits were passed around and the feast commenced. Sippin' stuff helped with digestion and for the final top off at meal's end. More fire and coal staring was done to the accomplishment of one joke or story topping the other until, one by one, the participants eased off to bed for the next morning's hunt. Ahhhh - I remember it well!!

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boys, thems are some good eaten story's in them thar hunting camps. That sole sounded good and I'll take elk meat over beef any day. You montana boys have some of the best hunting over there. Here in washington state it's ok , In Idaho it's a little better but I have to admit Montana has them both beat. I've had buffalo hump but it wasn't as good as elk or moose. Besides, for bufalo you have to morgage your house to buy it or shoot it. A dream of mine is to be able to hunt all of north americas big game with my 480 SRH Ruger and then eat it. No not the Ruger ,the big game.
Bob

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I don't know about that buffalo being too expensive. Right now with beef prices being so low you could jump in on one for around $750. They go on up too, I've seen them go for $2000. I'll look into it if anyone is real serious about it, maybe we could set up a deal, we don't have any buffalo but we know some people. I am not guaranteeing anything, but **** if you come up here I'll throw an elk roast in the pit and I'll make ya dinner.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Hmmm..... I've had buffalo and thought it was pretty good. Wouldn't mind shooting one for the prices you mentioned, heck it's not much over a dollar a pound for the meat since they're big!

People pay some obscene amounts of money to hunt little bitty whitetail deer in Texas, this is quite cheap by comparison.

Maybe I could get my dad to go in on one with me. I'll let him take the first shot with his Redhawk, and if it doesn't tip over, I'll thump it with the .458....

Seriously, if you have some hunt information, please share it. If not for buffalo then elk or something else. Both my dad and I would also like to go elk hunting. I understand in some parts of Montana that cow tags are very cheap as they want to reduce the population somewhat?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I got all the information in the world. I know that out of stater tags are really expensive but my advice is to go for it all at once. Cow tags are really only cheap for MT residents, $3. What I can do for you is, give you a place to shoot a turkey, mountain lion, Mule deer, and Whitetail. The Elk are in the mountains to the North of us, conveniently National Forest, so no permission required. One of the things about buying a buffalo thats really nice is that you will succeed, this isn't a hit or miss oppurtunity. However the animal choice can be up to the owner, these animals are not managed by fish and game, they are own by private individuals. I have to make this extremely clear, I can not guarantee anything beyond finding you a place to hunt.

Here is the fish and game website.
http://www.fwp.state.mt.us

I just found out that my dad didn't get his Moose tag this year. arrggghhh!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts