Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a browning medalion a-bolt 2 with factory tags still on it from a private dealer at a gun show. It is a 243, built in 1995 and has never been shot to my knowledge. I have since put about 50 rounds through it and am getting sub-moa, which I am very pleased with. My problem is this: the bolt is a bit sloppy in the action for how much browning is talked up for having a tight fitting bolt plus it catches and sticks (mostly when it is fully retracted). Upon close inspection the bolt sleeve looks and feels to have a matte finish as if it were sand blasted with a very fine sand. The result is a highly abrasive surface that scrubs brass from bullets in the clip and even metal from my screwdriver with just a few strokes. I am mechanically inclined but do not have much experience with firearms or another gun to compare this to.
Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated. I am considering replacing the bolt sleeve but there is not a gun smith with in a few hundred miles from me here in juneau ak

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
Evidently no one has experience like yours. Have you contacted Browning?

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
chase,
Welcome.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'bolt sleeve'? Do you mean the part that is on the bottom of the bolt in its normal position, and which you can rotate on the bolt if you take the bolt out of the action?

I have an A-bolt in 338 Win Mag, and when I have a full magazine (3 in this chambering), the bolt will shave some brass off the top cartridge in the magazine when stroking the bolt back if cartridges are not seated just right. The magazine is very tight. I found that if I didn't have the cartridges seated just right in the magazine (too far forward?), that shaving would occur on the backstroke, but also on the fwd stroke and sometimes the bolt wouldn't pick up the cartridge. Seat the cartridges all the way back in the magazine and I hope your troubles disappear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I talked to browning they wanted me to send it in but that would cost me some $90 in shipping alone. Based on the description I gave, the guy at browning said someone must have done something to it but when I bought it the thing looked like it had never seen the light of day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not quite sure what you mean by 'bolt sleeve'?

The way you describe the bolt is the same as browning describes it on their website but when I look at mine I see something different. The bolt when removed looks like a radiation warning symbol all the way from the head to where the lever attaches. Starting at the head which is about 3/8" long and then is the "sleeve" that only turns 60 degrees and makes up the rest of the bolt between the lever. However, I don't see anything on the bottom but a round hole about 3/8" wide and then it is slightly flat the rest of the way back. Perhaps I am missing a part?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I don't know where you're shipping from, but $90 seems high. Rifles may be sent in the US Mail or by regular common carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.), and I've never spent over maybe $25 to ship one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shipping a rifle.

I am in Juneau Alaska. A guy in town said he could help me ship my gun but it would cost $45 one way.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I would respecrfully suggest that you don't need local "help" to send your rifle to Browning.

If it were mine, I would remove the barreled action from the stock, and send only it directly to Browning - perfectly legal for ANY gun owner to do w/o using an FFL; and also perfectly legal to receive their own firearm back, also w/o going through an FFL.

I would pad/wrap the barreled action and trot down to the nearest US Post Office, and ask the Postal Clerk how much it would cost to mail it to Browning, with insurance against damage/loss.

I would wager it's less than $45 - and if it's a warranty repair, Browning would most likely return it by paying the shipping.

If they do, I would additionally ask re-imbursement for the first postage, too.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
chase,
If you can post a pic of the bolt, please do so. Instructions here for doing so here on the site:

http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=34239

I use photobucket. Very easy to set up on photobucket and once you do, you're set and it becomes second nature after using it awhile. I'd post a pic of my A-bolt bolt, but I'm having challenges that are browser-related, not photobucket. I may be able to get a pic posted from work tomorrow.

Edit: Here's a pic of my bolt that I had in Photobucket. Not the best for our purposes, but may be useful?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently was able to compare my A-bolt to another just like it and as it turns out, all of my problems were user error and I was being paranoid. There is nothing wrong with my gun. Thank you all so much for helping me with MY problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts