Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

On the left is the "new" Lyman 429421, a mould from 2012 and on the right is the "original" 429421, a Lyman mould from 1954. They seat the same, crimp the same, weigh the same, shoot the same but aren't the same. :confused:

I have been keeping them separated since I got the new mould, just to clarify. I just needed a double cavity 429421, so, I got one and for a while, maybe longer I never noticed the difference.

Huh.

RJ

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Well that just confuses the heck out of me. I'm trying to picture how they could seat and crimp the same. :eek:

·
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the meplat. There's just enough difference, there's no difference when seating. Takes the same seating/sizer punch though so yeah, I'm confused too.

RJ

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
It's the meplat. There's just enough difference, there's no difference when seating. Takes the same seating/sizer punch though so yeah, I'm confused too.

RJ
Well, at least its a lucky break that the same punch works.

·
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyways, what I was trying to get at is the difference and wondering the why and when of it. I see the "new" 358429 has the same shape as the "new" 429421. I'm wondering if the original "38-44" bullet (358429) is "different" like the "original" 429421.

RJ

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I would think the left bullet would be heavier than the one on the right, they're both the same OAL but the left has a thicker bottom and a thinner lube groove. Cast from two different alloys could account for the same weight.

·
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same alloy as near as wheel weights will run with 2.5% tin added that ends up 14-16 bnh. They both weigh "the same" as in 2-3 grains over/under 255 which IMO really close for cast bullets.

I'm just wondering when the "shape change" took place. Seems odd that to change something that didn't need to be.

RJ

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Same alloy as near as wheel weights will run with 2.5% tin added that ends up 14-16 bnh. They both weigh "the same" as in 2-3 grains over/under 255 which IMO really close for cast bullets.

I'm just wondering when the "shape change" took place. Seems odd that to change something that didn't need to be.

RJ
Someone needed to justify their job at Lyman. :sneaky: I've seen the lube groove changed too between molds, from rounded at the bottom to a squared bottom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts