Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend was interesting. My cattle have been finding with great regularity holes in the fence that have developed over the years. Yesterday I went around the hill with the kids pulling up some steel posts from the electric fence that I am not using to do some repairs. While we were loading posts I looked down and saw 2 blue 12ga hulls on the ground. I knew exactly what they were.

About 15 years ago a buck comes running down the hill from my left. My brother (who died in 2005) had jumped the deer up on the ridge above me. As it lands on the flat in front of me I let a round fly with the 1100 and a second as it was leaving the flat and dropping over the bank. By the time I get to the edge of the flat overlooking the creek (or crick here in SE Ohio), the deer had already crossed and was just starting out across the hay field. I shot again as it started in the field and again as it got half way across. The 2nd (4th shot) made it slide to a stop and turn around and run back towards the creek (crick). I let it have 1 more before it got out of the field. Reload time. I popped 1 in on top of the carrier and 1 in the tube and started looking. I could not see the deer. Went down to the creek, and there it stood in the creek shaking until it fell over.

4 out of the 5 slugs hit the deer. 2 were broad side shots straight through the vitals in the chest. One from the back down through the deer and one from the front up in the shoulder area. I think the one that missed was the one half way across the field. The sound of the slug hitting in front of it is probably what caused it to turn back.

That is the day I swore off BRI sabot slugs and went back to Active 1 1/4 oz slugs. When the Actives were gone, I went to the muzzle loader and never picked up the 1100 to deer hunt again.

I learned a valuable lesson about bullet performance and shot placement from that deer. A standing shot where I could have placed the shot right on the shoulder should have dropped the deer. A better performing bullet that would have expanded and dumped more energy into the deer and maybe did some more damage on it ways through might have put it down quicker as well. Those early BRI's shot well, but did not expand at all unless you hit a big bone. Just a lot of perfect 1/2 holes.

It is certainly nice being quarantined on the same place I have been for 47 years. You just never know when you will run across a memory.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
"Cricks" aren't just limited to Ohio (or Ohia). My family was from SW Penn and all called them "cricks". I haven't heard them called that in many years.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I've caught a bunch of little brook trout out of cricks in northern Michigan. I hear tell you can catch them in similar waterways, knows as "creeks" out West, but I never saw one. If you can't jump across it most places, it ain't a crick.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I grew up a crick is smaller than a river. Anything you can jump across is called a run. I have 2 runs on the farm, Trot Run and Dry Run. I have one crick, Sandbar. According to the ODNR it is Clear Form Little Muskingum River. But what do they know.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
In the Deep South, 'Crick' is Yankee talk. We have rivers, branches, sloughs, swamps, and creeks. We were taught by the Indians, though. :)

My grandad fought the Civil War every waking minute. 'Yankees' to him was anybody north of Georgia.

There is a USGS definition for 'creek'. It has to drain a certain area in a river's watershed. It is, in all but ONE exception a tributary of a 'river'. The one exception is in Colorado where Fall River runs into Clear Creek west of Idaho Springs.
Creeks in Florida are usually bigger than my closest river in Idaho, but a river can be dry most of the year in Idaho and still keep its name. :cool:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
375Carp, Nice..those memories.

Creek Indian for small river is "hatchie".

Also in the south are small streams that are called a "rush". In low areas...you can step or jump over them most of the time, but when a heavy rain occurs, the areas can be 30' to a couple hundred feet across with fairly quick moving water.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Rio Peñasco down south of Cloudcroft Nm is a “creek” as we call it here. You can jump across it in most places pretty much. There is some yummy Trout in that water.

I have a scar on the back of my head from falling down on a rock in that creek when I was about 4 or 5 years old. I’ve not been up there in years now but have been wanting to make the short trip for a while now!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, for reference, Sandbar crick there isn't anyplace that you can jump across. During the summer in the low ripples there are places that you can walk across if you have 6" hiking boots without getting too much water in them if you are quick. Most of the water holes will get you in deep enough to get that really really cool feeling.

Used to be a lot of small mouth, rock bass and pan fish up until the early 90's. Carp (not me, the fish), Garr and Blue Herons moved in. That has been the end of the fishing for the most part.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Raging River in the Snoqualmie Forest is a small stream that you can jump across most of the year but Big Creek is a small river that is too fast and deep to cross without a bridge or at least a log across it.

The titles don't mean much for this Washington back-packer. They both have water but other than that they are just names that some drowsy or drunk mountain man used to describe them.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
On year I walked across the Powder River in 6" boots, feet were dry. Walked across the Salt River in AR once in 6" boots, feet were dry and so was the river!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I once walked across about 40 yards of the rio grande without getting a single drop of water on my shoes!

River was completely dry! Down in Las Cruses NM!

I don’t have the photos anymore, but it was very sad to see what is supposed to be a big river, completely dry. I thought I was going crazy!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good story OP. Thanks for posting it.

As lovers of wildlife and hunting, there are good lessons in your post for us all.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,083 Posts
If you have to work to throw a rock across it in South Texas, that means the river is running pretty good. If it is more than a mile wide, that means a hurricane stalled out and that is very, very, very bad :eek:

What we consider a 'river' in most of this state, would barely qualify as a creek (or crick) in most of the rest of North America.... till it RAINS.... then it's time to build an ark.

Repeat next year, etc.

·
Registered
827 Posts
the crick flowing thru my woods after a rain storm. It flows into hunters creek about a half mile behind my place. Hunters creek flows into the south branch of the Flint river many miles away.

I was helping a fellow track a deer he had wounded many a moon ago. we came up on it standing in a creek, cold water up to its neck.

·
Registered
827 Posts
the crick flowing thru my woods after a rain storm. It flows into hunters creek about a half mile behind my place. Hunters creek flows into the south branch of the Flint river many miles away.

I was helping a fellow track a deer he had wounded many a moon ago. we came up on it standing in a creek, cold water up to its neck.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
If you have to work to throw a rock across it in South Texas, that means the river is running pretty good. If it is more than a mile wide, that means a hurricane stalled out and that is very, very, very bad :eek:

What we consider a 'river' in most of this state, would barely qualify as a creek (or crick) in most of the rest of North America.... till it RAINS.... then it's time to build an ark.

Repeat next year, etc.
Texas does have some nice and big lakes though. Good for fishing.

The only river I’ve spent much time around in Texas is the Brazos. My grandparents have property right on it pretty much. Down in Granbury TX. And we fish Alen Henry outside of Post TX. Lots of good bass there still and it’s part of the Brazos as well.

Here in NM, our rivers are pretty small too, with exception of the rio grande in some areas. The rio grande can be quite wide in some spots.

I fish off of the little Pecos river a lot here and it’s not a very big river but I have a buddy who regularly catches very large 20+lb cats out of it close to the TX & NM border. He has offered to take me but I neve have the time or energy for that. They carry in all their equipment a ways and fish off of kayaks. I hear there are some wild hogs that the state wants us to hunt there too though...

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Alleyooper has 2 great posts above. They're both identical except that one has very large pictures and is broadening this page of the thread.

Is there any way the big one can be deleted? Asking for a friend.... (He says thanks in advance for any consideration)

Reactions: crooked creek
1 - 20 of 29 Posts