Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the problems with the 45 Colt cartridge, as I see it, is there's a lot of case and not much of the usual powders to fill that space.
I had thought about running a series of tests using 5744 in my 45 Colts.
From the loading data in the Accurate Arms web site it seems like there might be some possibilities there.
Any input sure would be appreciated and I fill you all in as I burn up a bunch of powder.
Jim

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Jim...I also have been looking at the printed data on XMP-5744. I have been waiting to see if someone was going to give it a try. It has 20% nitro,so it has a high energy Vs weight . The Bulk Density is up at .88% of water so should fill the case well? They only say its burning rate is between AA9 and AA1680? Slow! Their data on .45 Long Colt looks low, but for the .454 Casull looks good! I also like their run on cast and .30-06. I have found, by using their 800-416-3006, you can get some good data. To get some idea of how it would bulk up in the case...fill the case with water to the base of where the bullet would be and weigh the case - weight of empty case to get the weight of the water and multiply it by the .880....that would give some idea of how it would fill the case.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey James Thanks
My thought is..... that that Bullseye, Unique, 231 fill so little of the case that something filling it up would create a better inviroment for more consistant burn.
I'm checking at T and T reloading components to see if they carry 5744 in 8 pound cansisters. I want to try the powder in my S&Ws, Colt Anaconda, Ruger Blackhawk and a Winchester mod. 92, all 45 Colt. When I finish playing with all those I'll most likely wish I had ordered 16 pounds.
I thinking I'll start out a bit light for the S&Ws and work up to the loads suggested  then carefully inch my way up to 1,000 or 1,100 in the Smiths.  If I find something accurate for the Smiths then I'll find some good for the Ruger and Anaconda with a bit more hair on it's chest.
Thanks again
Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll go home tonight and see how much that charge of 5744 fills the 45 colt case for you. Will load up a few and chrono them if you give me a few days. 5744 is my cast bullet rifle powder haven't tried it in the 45 colt yet though.  KevinNY

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kevin
I'm going to use the stuff in my Anaconda and a Winchester 1892 with 300 grain bullets. My S&Ws like the 9.5 grains of Unique so well, I may just leave them out ofthe testing.
It is intriquing to consider how well all of my 45 Colts would shoot with full or nearly full cases.
Again thanks.
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts