Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a good, reasonably priced, source for once fired 12 ga. 2 3/4" WW compression formed (one piece) hulls? Looking over some of my reloads and most appear to be headed to the glue factory after they are fired this last time.

Thanks

:cool:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Contender...Ballistic Products has been the best source for all types of hulls, fired ans once fired. As you know I worked for WW for years ans like AA hulls. However...since I load specialty loads now and not target shells, I have switched to Activ hulls. They have a tough straight side wall, which means you can use many good wads In the AA you need to use the taper AA wad. The Activ hulls have a very large capacity and I use bulky powders like Blue Dot on my heavy turkey payloads. I've look around here for their URL and it's buried somewhere...do a search and if it doesn't show up, give me a note
Best Regards, James

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I too will second the vote on the one piece Activ hulls.  They are very tough, load and crimp well and allow a greater loading volume than the Winchester AA's.  

Availability here of Activ hulls is spotty, unless getting them from Ballistic Products as mentioned by Mr. Gates.  I too shoot lots of AA's for the simple reason that I have a source locally (Spokane, WA almost local... ) for &#360.02 each for once fired.   Too convenient to pass up when I'm by there!   Still use them for light 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz. loads, and they work as well today as they did twenty-five years ago when I was shooting the trap circuit.

Try looking at Midsouth Shooter's Supply for your AA's.  I have purchased quite a number of once fired empties from them in the past, and I notice that their new catalog lists them once again at a very reasonable price!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Everybody...Be sure to order Ballistic Products little paper pulp catalog! I "tinker" with special shotshells as much as rifle and pistol. They have more tricky items to play with than you can imagine. I have about quit using my folded crimp station on P-W 375 and use tho roll crimp on my drill press. I keep the styro meat flats and cut out over shot wads. The AA hulls are good, but I even like Federal Gold Metal hulls better now, because of more wad combos. Maybe You should not get their catalog after all...since you will find yourself playing with special loads in the shotgun and a lot of people don't think it is a proper gun to use for big game. However, I have a 20 ga. round ball (.570")in a AA wad with Blue Dot (works in full choke) That will stay on a paper plate out to 60/70 yards that will knock the taste out of about anything's mouth!!!!
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much guys. The Activ hulls sound interesting. I'll take a look into the sources you recommend and see what I come up with.

Regards

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

It appears that Ballistic Products has a special on Fiocchi hulls. Anybody have any experience with these? I've shot the shells but never reloaded them. How's the durability?

And one question about the Activ hulls. I undertstand that they have integral metal bases inside the plastic. Do they get resized like other shells with the exposed metal bases?

Thanks again there,

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Contender...The Fiocchi hulls as about likw the WW, RP, and Federal hulls that are not one piece. They are high volume hulls and make excellent hunting and specialty loads. They will not load as many times as AA, Activ, or Federal Gold metal...But are an excellent buy. I think they are primed. They take any wad set up for Gold Metal, Power Piston, are any other non-tapered (AA) wad. They crimp better with a six point than eight point. They are rolled crimp very good!
The Activ hullis in a class all its own. If they had the distribution networks of the other big companies, they would put them out of business! Their nickel plated shotshells are best best I have ever used on waterfowl and turkey! The require in minumim sizing and are high volume so the slow burn powders that are popular today fit right in.
I use a rolled crimp on all my special loads now. Years ago it was thought that the over powder wad caused blown patterns, however when high speed photo became available it was found that it was caused by the heavy filler wads hitting the rear of the shot column. The rolled crimo also gives room for aboye 1/16 oz more shot in the case. I am loading a special 2 3/4" load with 2 oz of copper plate #4 on top of Blue Dot. The slow burn powder does not hammer the shot hard on ignition and has a nice long smooth pressure curve. With a .685" choke on my 30" VR Browning A5 round knob I get 85/90% patterns at 40 yards. The Activ hull is also great for those #000 (.35/.36")buckshot loads in modified chokes. This size buckshot @ 1200/1250'/" will break both shoulders of a deer at 40 yds. It is also very deadly on big hogs at 20/25 yards. We use only copper plate buck.
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again James!

Always good to get  a little perspective from someone more familiar with shot filled plastic tubes than I.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts