Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys i have some empty 308 cases and they are berdan and i make them boxer but still there the wholes of berdan system i maked the same boxer whole like the factory now there is 3 wholes. There is a problem if i reload them ?

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Hopefully one of our very experienced guys will weigh in, but the short answer is, "yes". You will have increased the amount of flash that gets through to the powder and weakened the brass under the primer. I'm not sure I'd even attempt to fire such a case and if I did, I'd start with the lowest recommended charge weight. I'd also chronograph those loads and see if they are producing more velocity than they should.

Best advice is to stick with one system or the other.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully one of our very experienced guys will weigh in, but the short answer is, "yes". You will have increased the amount of flash that gets through to the powder and weakened the brass under the primer. I'm not sure I'd even attempt to fire such a case and if I did, I'd start with the lowest recommended charge weight. I'd also chronograph those loads and see if they are producing more velocity than they should.

Best advice is to stick with one system or the other.
So is not safe right reload them ?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Get Real

You must have gone out of your way to find Berdan primed .308 brass . Throw that junk away , it isn't worth messing with and there is no reason to. Good .308 brass is just over a dime a dozen and plentiful . At least I think that is the answer to your question , your English and spelling are subject to interpretation !

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
I believe our new member is in Europe.

Can you get Berdan primers? That would seem to be the simplest thing.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I would not reload them. I am not 100% positive what the additional flash hole would do to pressures, but it's just not worth it, to find out.

If you cannot get Berdan primers to reload with and must use Boxer primers, I would suggest buying new brass that is designed for the Boxer primer.

·
36,682 Posts
I guess it's been said for many years to never use cases with oversized flash holes for reloading. But, when the "lead free" handgun rounds came out, the cases have... you guessed it... a really oversized flash hole. I have not seen any reports of problems when reloading these (you know someone has done it, if only by accident).

Just thinking out loud.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think that boxer primers are slightly smaller than the berdan kind. So a boxer may not fit tightly enough in a berdan pocket to seal against gas blowback. It could be dangerous to your face.

·
36,682 Posts
In malta there is no one sales berdan primers but its ok no problem thank's .
Sorry to hear that. I have edited the title of your thread to better describe the issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,432 Posts
Kdub's point is that it is against the board rules to double-post. You are allowed just one thread for each question. This keeps the answers in one place to avoid duplication and waste of bandwidth.

Berdan primers come in more different sizes than Boxer primers. Boxer primers are all in the range of small 0.175" and large: 0.210", both +/- about .002". Boxer primers, from David Cushman's site, are:

Small pistol For 5.56 x 23 cartridges 4.6mm/.1800"
Small pistol For 9 x 17,9 x 18.9 x 19 cartridges 5.6mm/.1982"
Small rifle For 5.56 x 45 cartridges 5.6mm/.1982"
Large rifle For 7.62 x 39 cartridges 5.55mm/.2175"
Large rifle for most .303 British 6.35mm/.250"
Large rifle for older express rounds 6.45mm/.254"
Large rifle For 7.62 x 51; 7.62 x 54 cartridges 6.55mm/.2563"

So, you can see, the Berdan pockets are all too large for boxer primer pockets, which is why all the punch forming described in the link from the last post is required.

·
Super Moderator
13,432 Posts
Yup! Typed Boxer twice in a row. Fixed. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts